Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
The point is you have to pay off the remaining months on the phone even if you sell it.

A year into the next program I will have paid around 600 for a 6+ 124 gb. even if I sold it at this point I would be responsible for the remaining payments whereas with 2 yr subsidy I'm paying just around 600 to own the phone outright

It is simple math.
This is because your old grandfathered plan doesn't give you a discount by using Next. So yes, taking the subsidy is the best choice for people like you. However, Next is not a scam for most of the customers who aren't hanging on to old plans, where they get a discount monthly when using Next which makes them both roughly the same.

Either way you look at it, you are paying for it. With Next, you can sell it at any time but as long as you make payments for the duration of the loan it's not a problem. With your unlimited plan, the cost of the phone subsidy is built into your plan, so you are paying it even after the phone is paid off.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Not really, with NEXT you pay the full price of the phone but under a 2 year contract the cost of the phone is subsidized so you don't pay the full price for the phone.
With a contract the subsidized amount is recouped via the monthly payments for service (which has the device pricing built into it), while with NEXT (or financing) you get a discount on what you are paying monthly. So the idea is fairly similar, it just depends on individual situations as to what might cost loss depending on the plan that is involved.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
This is because your old grandfathered plan doesn't give you a discount by using Next. So yes, taking the subsidy is the best choice for people like you. However, Next is not a scam for most of the customers who aren't hanging on to old plans, where they get a discount monthly when using Next which makes them both roughly the same.

Either way you look at it, you are paying for it. With Next, you can sell it at any time but as long as you make payments for the duration of the loan it's not a problem. With your unlimited plan, the cost of the phone subsidy is built into your plan, so you are paying it even after the phone is paid off.

Yes, I have unlimited data AND I have a discount as well :D
[doublepost=1455769972][/doublepost]
But the plan costs more.

Not mine

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Not mine
You are paying for the phone through the subsidy that is built into the monthly plan price. That said, with the older unlimited data plan you would likely not get a discount of you went with Next/financing, so that's where the difference would be for you essentially.

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
You are paying for the phone through the subsidy that is built into the monthly plan price. That said, with the older unlimited data plan you would likely not get a discount of you went with Next/financing, so that's where the difference would be for you essentially.

He's doing what I do to AppleJuiced, in my opinion. Being very vague as to the plan that I have set up to show the super sweet deal, but not exactly how I get said super sweet deal. It's either that, he isn't getting a super sweet deal and doesn't understand what's going on ^_^

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH

Not mine
I'm not talking about an employer discount, in talking about the Next discount. With shared plans you get an employee discount and a next discount.

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
well am going too return my iphone 6S Pluse to apple and closed my AT&T account and go prepaid am done with installment payments after i return this phone too apple intallment payment are not worth it for me

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
well am going too return my iphone 6S Pluse to apple and closed my AT&T account and go prepaid am done with installment payments after i return this phone too apple intallment payment are not worth it for me

Because installments are so much worse than the same full retail price up front for some reason?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.