Carrier ATT raising Grandfather Unlimited Data Plan ... AGAIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spymit007

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2004
Massachusetts
So I'm in the same boat here. I've held onto the Unlimited plan since 2007 but with this latest increase, I'm willing to explore my options which I can't seem to find online when I log onto my account. Last month, I used 16.5GB of data on my iPhone. With that amount, does it make sense to keep my plan as is and swallow the extra $5 a month or look at another option?

jav6454

macrumors P6
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
But why? Their new unlimited data plan is cheaper and you get tethering? At least it wound up being cheaper for us.
There must be a reason for the price hike. Some ulterior motive AT&T wants people off these old plans and onto newer plans. I’m guessing it has to do with up selling.

Waterman316

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2018
Might as well switch. I did. I have the newer unlimited data plan now. Cheaper and I haven’t noticed a difference. Tethering is nice. I use it with my iPad.

chabig

macrumors 604
Sep 6, 2002
By $5/month. Just got the email. Starting July 2018. You ain’t taking it away att. I ain’t giving it away easily.
Pay up or give it up. In my opinion it’s not worth it. As others have said, I get more for less with my shared data plan.

rolsskk

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2008
Pay up or give it up. In my opinion it’s not worth it. As others have said, I get more for less with my shared data plan.
With the money you save by switching to a new plan, you can easily pay for a new phone and get a hotspot. I noticed that my bill has steadily been climbing over the past couple years, time to change it up.

aakshey

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
Why doesn’t everybody allow tethering for free? In India, I’ve never come across an operator that charges a premium to allow free tethering.

Though we don’t have unlimited plans, but it is easy to get additional data for 30-100 US cents per GB of 4G data, even if you run out of your cap which could be as low as 1 GB per day or as high as over 100 GB per billing cycle.
[doublepost=1528383357][/doublepost]If you do prepaid, the average price in India is USD 7 total for a period of 3 months for the below:

Unlimited calls, texts.

2GB 4G data per day. For 91 days.

And pretty much every operator provides something along the above lines.

jav6454

macrumors P6
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
But why? Their new unlimited data plan is cheaper and you get tethering? At least it wound up being cheaper for us.
This data plan doesn’t have the whole “Plus” or “Choice” wording which means downgrading video quality. I can watch YouTube/Netflix in high def if I want to without forking over for a more expensive plan.

synonys

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2014
I know AT&T is about to settle with the FTC soon and the grandfathered plan is still cheaper for me.

CUBUFF1

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2018
By $5/month. Just got the email. Starting July 2018. You ain’t taking it away att. I ain’t giving it away easily.
I lefty them long ago they should charge the data hogs and not tho like me who were in the lower % of data users. Still living to their MOtto...We Dont Care We Dont Have to!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.