Carrier ATT raising Grandfather Unlimited Data Plan ... AGAIN

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jav6454, Jun 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

By $5/month. Just got the email. Starting July 2018. You ain’t taking it away att. I ain’t giving it away easily.

2. melman101 macrumors 68030

But why? Their new unlimited data plan is cheaper and you get tethering? At least it wound up being cheaper for us.

3. Spymit007 macrumors regular

Spymit007

So I'm in the same boat here. I've held onto the Unlimited plan since 2007 but with this latest increase, I'm willing to explore my options which I can't seem to find online when I log onto my account. Last month, I used 16.5GB of data on my iPhone. With that amount, does it make sense to keep my plan as is and swallow the extra $5 a month or look at another option?

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

You will one day. Had it on all 4 of our phones and jumped to the family plan and bill went down over $150 per month and we are still not using all our data.

5. jav6454 thread starter macrumors P6

jav6454

There must be a reason for the price hike. Some ulterior motive AT&T wants people off these old plans and onto newer plans. I’m guessing it has to do with up selling.

6. Waterman316 macrumors regular

Might as well switch. I did. I have the newer unlimited data plan now. Cheaper and I haven’t noticed a difference. Tethering is nice. I use it with my iPad.

7. chabig macrumors 603

Pay up or give it up. In my opinion it’s not worth it. As others have said, I get more for less with my shared data plan.

8. rolsskk macrumors 6502

With the money you save by switching to a new plan, you can easily pay for a new phone and get a hotspot. I noticed that my bill has steadily been climbing over the past couple years, time to change it up.

9. jav6454 thread starter macrumors P6

jav6454

I’m paying it up. It is still cheaper than any other alternative given I have a FAN Discount.

10. rolsskk macrumors 6502

How?? I've got a discount too, but the new plan with hotspot is $17 than my current bill.

11. aakshey macrumors 65816

aakshey

Why doesn’t everybody allow tethering for free? In India, I’ve never come across an operator that charges a premium to allow free tethering.

Though we don’t have unlimited plans, but it is easy to get additional data for 30-100 US cents per GB of 4G data, even if you run out of your cap which could be as low as 1 GB per day or as high as over 100 GB per billing cycle.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 7, 2018 ---
    If you do prepaid, the average price in India is USD 7 total for a period of 3 months for the below:

Unlimited calls, texts.

2GB 4G data per day. For 91 days.

And pretty much every operator provides something along the above lines.

12. jav6454 thread starter macrumors P6

jav6454

I got 25% off thru my employer. Hence why it still makes it cheaper to keep than switch. I end up paying less than $75 a month with texting.

Well, now add $3-4 a month more with this hike.

13. bigbucksnowhammies macrumors member

bigbucksnowhammies

I also get a 25% discount applied to my data plan. So it isn't too bad...yet.

14. jav6454 thread starter macrumors P6

jav6454

This data plan doesn’t have the whole “Plus” or “Choice” wording which means downgrading video quality. I can watch YouTube/Netflix in high def if I want to without forking over for a more expensive plan.

15. synonys macrumors member

synonys

I know AT&T is about to settle with the FTC soon and the grandfathered plan is still cheaper for me.

16. CUBUFF1 macrumors newbie

CUBUFF1

I lefty them long ago they should charge the data hogs and not tho like me who were in the lower % of data users. Still living to their MOtto...We Dont Care We Dont Have to!

17. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.