ATT vs Verizon : Let the cat fight begin

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xcel360, Jan 9, 2011.

1. xcel360 macrumors regular

AT&T is already attacking Verizon over the iPhone.
    After we wrote about Verizon's plan to offer unlimited data plans, AT&T PR boss Larry Solomon reached out with a statement: "The iPhone is built for speed, but that's not what you get with a CDMA phone. I'm not sure iPhone users are ready for life in the slow lane."
    He says AT&T's GSM technology is faster than Verizon's CDMA technology.
    Besides the fact that Solomon is confirming that Verizon is getting the iPhone, he's also fired the first shot in the coming war for iPhone owners.

Source: http://www.businessinsider.com/att-verizon-iphone-1

Going to be fun to see all the TV commercials.

2. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I have no idea if AT&T claims are "technically" true, but even if GSM is theoretically faster than CDMA, aren't most complaints about AT&T's network speed? Verizon's "slower" network may well be faster in the real world, no?

3. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Unlimited data.

Consistent telephone connectivity.

Game. Set. Match. [​IMG]

4. shadrap macrumors 6502

I can wait a couple seconds longer for a page to load. If it means I don't have to worry about dropped calls.

5. zephxiii macrumors 6502

No.

6. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I'll be watching closely. I may not pick up the first Verizon iPhone if it's 3G only. I may hold on to my iPhone 4 and wait for an LTE model. But of course, my current iPhone isn't getting any faster speeds than Verizon.....but I won't move until I have some advantage. AT&T finally got their voice service decent in Dallas.

In my case that answer would be yes. It's going to very for each user based on AT&T and Verizon's speed in their area.

7. yayitsezekiel macrumors 6502a

yayitsezekiel

I completely agree. What good is "supposedly" great network speed when you can't even connect to it half the time? ;)

8. zephxiii macrumors 6502

But at least the potential is higher like this:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthr...compatible-HSPA-stick?p=14167038#post14167038

9. Geckotek, Jan 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2011

Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

10. blackberrypilot macrumors 6502

I am just glad to see there will be some iPhone competition.:apple:

Choices = power.

11. AllieNeko macrumors 6502a

If Verizon offers unlimited iPhone data, it'll force AT&T to rethink their plans. A lot. That is the good thing about this.

If it happens, it's about four years too late for my market. I've always been jealous of people who can get an iPhone. We've had no AT&T here. AT&T is launching next month, with plans for MUCH better coverage (all 3G) that Verizon has. With a complete UMTS/HSPA overlay of the Alltel network they bought here, along with some major improvements to that (already superior to Verizon) network.

The sad thing is, like they do today, Verizon customers will still claim, as they're dropping calls, that they're on "the best" and Verizon is better than Alltel. LOL. Cuz it's what the Verizon fanboys do.

There's pros and cons. Two cons - I want as many AT&T customers as possible for mobile to mobile (I have no plans to leave, or go iPhone - they're honoring my Alltel plan and giving me a Samsung Captivate for free with no contract to replace my Alltel BlackBerry). Also, I don't want Verizon customers, with their stuck-up attitude and fanboyishness, to have the iPhone. LOL. The superiority complex of iPhone owners COMBINED with the superiority complex of Verizon customers? That's more arrogance than I think I can handle! LOL.

The pro is that, eventually, I'll get tired of the Captivate. Probably, oh, around WWDC this summer. And I'll be getting an iPhone. AT&T won't let me keep my Alltel plan and get an iPhone. Now, I need to stay AT&T for the coverage, but I'm hoping Verizon will make them reconsider their data cap :)

12. blackberrypilot macrumors 6502

I think AT&T's data plans garbage.

$15 for 200MB?????

They should have a $10/200MB, $15/1GB, $25/2GB, $30/Unlimited or something similar.

13. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Don't think for a second that if Verizon offers unlimited data AT&T won't. They'll almost ALWAYS match each other.

14. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

In other words, he basically just confirmed a Verizon iPhone.

15. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

TOTALLY agree with you here! Let the two dinosaurs battle over the pie! Hopefully enough crumbs fall from their grasp that the consumer may actually benefit from this for a change!

16. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Which is why I won't switch, cause I already get that with ATT. :D

17. stewart715 macrumors 6502

All I can say is that I have a BlackBerry Tour and Droid X both on VZW. The Tour's internet is SLOW. But the Droid X's internet is lightning fast (on 3G no connected to WiFi, that is).

I'm guessing any iPhone running on VZW would have similar speeds as the Droid X (which IMO are faster than AT&T's GSM 3G).

In any event, I would rather have more slower 3G coverage (Verizon) than less/spotty faster 3G coverage (AT&T). More coverage is key here.

18. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Actually, I do think that. I think AT&T knows that Verizon will only do it for a short time. Look for Verizon to take away the unlimited data in one year or less. This is my prediction.

19. brock2621 macrumors 6502a

brock2621

Totally agree... But I plan to be grandfathered in :)

20. AllieNeko macrumors 6502a

stewart, your opinion doesn't really matter on hard data like speeds (neither does mine). In terms of 3G network speed, T-Mobile and AT&T's HSPA+ UMTS networks BLOW away CDMA2000 EVDO by a country mile, when they're not overloaded.

Now, if you look at speed CONSISTENCY travelling nationwide to rural areas, Verizon will win that one. But for the 95% of people, who are covered with 3G by everyone, that doesn't matter.

21. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

PCMag's results, while showing faster.....I wouildn't call it a "country mile".

Heck, even AT&T's own commercial showes all but Luke Wilson's head downloaded! :D

22. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Yup, I have that on my 4 with AT&T right now. It is pretty killer.

23. Polekat macrumors regular

Polekat

24. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

You guys hear about the people who were on AT&T at CES that could not use their phones?? Also you guys hear about the people who were on Verizon at CES that were able to use their phones??

Enough said...

25. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

no we didn't hear about it.... and no, we don't believe you, you need more people