Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

123733-otay_ranch_store.jpg

Apple's Otay Ranch retail store

San Diego 6 reports that an attempted holdup at Apple's Otay Ranch retail store in Chula Vista, California went sour this morning, with one of the robbers reportedly having been shot and killed by a mall security guard.
A security guard caught the suspects smashing the glass front doors of the Apple Store at the mall before the mall opened for the day.

The guard reportedly shot a male suspect in the head.
NBC San Diego reports that two other suspects, one of whom had also been shot, have been arrested. The incident happened shortly before 7:00 AM this morning, before the store had opened for business.

Article Link: Attempted Apple Store Holdup Goes Bad: Suspect Killed

Last edited by a moderator:

Collected

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
Crime doesn't pay. At least it wasn't the Apple security guard. Not sure those guys are armed, at least not here.

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
I'm as pro gun rights as anyone, but this sounds like a problem for the security guard. Unless that guard's life was in danger, there was no reason to shoot anyone, especially in the head. The placement of that shot was no accident.

That being said, I'm sure there are a lot of facts we don't know. Innocent until proven guilty, of course.

Bluefusion

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2003
New York, NY
Rent-a-cops have guns? And shoot people IN THE HEAD? I'm amazed.

That said, this is pretty ******. Sure, the guy was a criminal lowlife, and he certainly deserved punishment, but I don't think he deserved to get killed. Oh well.

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
The problem with stolen Apple products would be no Applecare.

Anyway, these mall cops should carry Taser Apps on their iphones.

Hwangsta

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2010
A mall cop having to shoot someone in the head...he'll probably need some counseling.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I'm actually surprised this doesn't happen more often. Applestores must be filled with cash. I would think one would be a bit easier to rob than a bank.

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2007
The hood
seems a little excessive. Hopefully there were some bits to the story left out.
Otherwise, yeah... a little excessive.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
How sad,
I mean a person lost his life because of his actions, and the guard now has to live with the fact that he took a life. All for what - some iToys? Doesn't seem worth it. :(

tuna

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2010
Rent-a-cops have guns? And shoot people IN THE HEAD? I'm amazed.

That said, this is pretty ******. Sure, the guy was a criminal lowlife, and he certainly deserved punishment, but I don't think he deserved to get killed. Oh well.

I have wondered about this issue too. I think it depends on the state, when it is legal to use deadly force varies widely. Some states you are allowed to shoot someone to stop any "forcible felony". Other states you're only allowed to shoot someone if they have you cornered and you have substantial reason to fear for your life.

jackvalko

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2007
People are dying to get their hands on the ipad2

Wow, I heard the ipad2 was a killer product.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
I'm as pro gun rights as anyone, but this sounds like a problem for the security guard. Unless that guard's life was in danger, there was no reason to shoot anyone, especially in the head. The placement of that shot was no accident.

One upside: people will think twice before trying to smash into an Apple store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.