Attention All iphone 3G Users With Reception And Data Problems

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by a1016neo, Jul 17, 2008.

1. a1016neo macrumors regular

a1016neo

(Be Free To Express Your Experience Below)

ATTENTION ALL IPHONE 3G USERS:

We need to talk directly to Apple about this problem! We iphone 3G users are getting slow 3G data speeds and horrible cell phone reception along with continuous dropped calls. One of the reason we bought the new iphone 3G was that it has 3G. Well what's the point if 3G speeds are slower than EDGE! OUR VOICE NEEDS TO BE HEARD!

Disappointed iphone users, send your feedback to Apple. Tell them how you feel about your purchase and what to improve on. If we can all send in our complaints maybe we can push Apple in making a statement or a new Software or Firmware Update.

Apple reads feedback from their consumers very carefully. We want to get our moneys ($30 data plan for US) worth! Apple can encourage AT&T in expanding and perfecting their 3G coverage across America. If we all work together we can live happily ever after with our iphones and continue to buy great products from Apple! We want to see the iphone succeed! Help spread the word!

Send your feedback here: (Apple is listening)

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Many People Have Been Discussing Their Problems: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1602608&start=0&tstart=0

Spread the word:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1613753&tstart=0

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1401481

Engadget Poll: http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/17/poll-hows-your-iphone-3g-reception/

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Wouldn't you be better complaining to AT&T? :confused: Surely all these problems are network problems.

3. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

man i really hate when people bitch about something not being perfect. this phone is an important piece of history in the technology field, it has been out a year and has already been improved greatly. Apple is a up-and-coming leading company because they are known for making great stuff that everyone loves to have. they know what is "wrong" and they will correct all problems in time, until then stop bitching about every little thing! if i hear one more thing about copy and paste(which would be nice) i may just shoot myself, lol.

4. Macjames macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

I have no issues with 3g reception in the Uk the exception been when I am in a building it goes down to one or two bars, outside I can get nearly full reception. I've made loads of calls and never has it dropped one.

5. a1016neo thread starter macrumors regular

a1016neo

@ edesignuk:

People have called Apple Support and they say AT&T is to blame, when the called AT&T guess who they blamed..

So there is a lot of confusion

Also my previous 3G phone on AT&T gets around 4 - 5 bars while my new iphone 3G get's around 1 - 2 bars and slower 3G network... They are in the same location...

6. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

there is a problem with reception on the 3G, i live in Japan and on my last japo 3g phone i never had less than full reception, now in the same places i have 0-1 bars and i dont think i have seen full reception since i got it. BUT like i said above, i am not bitching about it because this phone is the best thing every for someone that needs ALL these great features in one great device.

7. a1016neo thread starter macrumors regular

a1016neo

We are not asking for more features... We are asking to fix these problems...

Many people have complained that there original iphone and previous 3G phones from AT&T get more bars and and faster data on 3G...

This is a BIG problem

8. a1016neo thread starter macrumors regular

a1016neo

Many US iphone 3G users are getting slow 3G speeds... Slower than EDGE in some cases!

Many disappointed iphone buyers say that other 3G phones on AT&T are currently running faster than the iphone on 3G in the same location... People are getting more dropped calls on their iphone 3G then their original iphone or previous AT&T cell phone... So this seems like an Apple problem, but we can't factor out AT&T yet...

If you would like to read more from people's experience go hear:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1602608&start=0&tstart=0

There are currently over 180 replies and over 4,000 views. So it seems this is not an isolated condition.

I am posting this so Apple or AT&T can acknowledge this problem and provide more info or a fix...

9. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

My data has been slow for another reason... I'm an upgrading O2 customer in the UK (from a non-iPhone phone) and it turns out my SIM card isn't a 3G one...

So that's why I've been stuck on EDGE for the last week....

Hopefully when I get it upgraded I will find O2's 3G network to be faster.. :eek:

10. a1016neo thread starter macrumors regular

a1016neo

Here are some people's feedback to Apple:

Apple Discussion Board Link: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1613753&tstart=0

This guy if from Japan... Sooo... This could be a clue if its Apple???

I too have submitted my letter to the iPhone feedback page. I do hope more of you will do the same that our voice is heard and something can be done about the situation.

Here is the letter that I submitted.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________
    To whom it may concern,

Let me start off by saying that I have been a loyal Apple customer for some years now and I am always please until this particular moment. I live in Japan and I have waited patiently for the iPhone to make it's way across the pond.
    So enthusiastic about the iPhone, I waited 20hrs in line to get one. I received the iPhone and was so happy that I was finally able to own one of the best devices in the market.
    I am truly wanting to be a satisfied customer however, at the moment I am quite disappointed. After purchasing the iPhone I realized that it was difficult to get quality reception. Signal outside, I get 3 or 4 bars max. What is worse is at home. I used to own a Nokia 3G device that always had full signal in my home however, the iPhone has only 1 bar at home and it drops signal quite often to NO SERVICE. This is something that I cannot have as I work from home and am in need of my phone on a regular basis. My wife still has a Nokia and it still has full signal whereas sitting right next to my iPhone, my iPhone has only 1 bar. Please note that I have tried all of the tips to try and improve this situation however, it does not work. Also, please note that I am in a country that is covered in 3G and I do not even have the option to switch to the EDGE network. I have to leave on 3G at all times.
    After doing some research I have found that this is a problem that is not just isolated to me. It seems that people in America and other countries are having the same problem. You can check the Howard forums and also your own Apple discussion board here: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1602608&tstart=0

I will always continue to be a customer of Apple as I firmly believe in your products and the quality of your customer service however, I do hope that this is only a software fix that can be updated soon as I would really hate to have to return this wonderful product due to non functionality .

Kind regards
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________

I do so hope Apple is listening.

11. sadsack macrumors member

i can understand your problem. However, i think this becomes a network issue in america. Don't forget that 3G not (HDSPA, which is what the iphone is), has been about for sometime here in europe and so the networks are there and continuous development takes place for HDSPA. However, in america - you guys are trying to jump from standard networks to HDSPA. Give it time and ATT will have it sorted, but as a consumer you should have every right to kick up a fuss. Right now, where i get edge and 5 bars on o2 i get 3G but only one bar for voice. In theory sometimes where you dont get reception, you should be able to flick to 3G and vice versa

12. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

No idea what the cause is, but that's a very good letter. You state the problem politely and it comes over very well.

13. a1016neo thread starter macrumors regular

a1016neo

Yes, but the reason most people bought the iphone 3G was that it has 3G speeds... Sadly many people found out that their 3G speeds is below or matches EDGE or just a tad faster... We are not getting that 3G speed...

Also I and many others have reported that we are getting less bars on 3g and EDGE.... Some people reported that a basic AT&T flip phone gets more bars than their iphone 3g... This leads to drop calls which I am getting more than on the original iphone... Many others have the same experience! I find that this is a big problem... Apple needs to address this fast!

14. taltal macrumors member

Not true.

This IS a big problem in Europe, Asia, whereever you look. And ONLY with the iPhone 3G!

You should read the thread for more countries:
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1602608&tstart=0

15. taltal macrumors member

This is not the point. A lot of things about the iPhone 2G weren't perfect. But the joy of use really WAS high, no matter what.

And this joy of use is gone with the iPhone 3G, at least for a significant number of people. Simply because every third call or so drops, voice quality is bad, a lot of times when you want to make a call you don't have reception. And your data rate is worse then EDGE.

I hope Apple acts fast on this because the word is spreading. Today I overheard someone in the train to work complaining about it. Apple better solve this - simply for their own sake and reputation!

16. newyorksole macrumors 68020

I tried loading Yahoo.com on an iPhone 3G at the SoHo Apple Store and it still didn't load after 30 seconds. It was on a 3G connection too.

17. psymac macrumors 6502

18. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with the design of the iPhone - I'm sat here in the UK with full strength 3G (no HSDPA near me yet) and have yet to have a dropped call or other issue. It's also much clearer than my 1st gen.
    I'm sure some people are having problems, but it's most likely network based because if it was a design flaw everyone would have the same problem.

Attached Files:

19. wonderbread57 macrumors 6502

there seems to be some bad iPhone 3Gs out there. Take a non iPhone 3G att device and compare to a 3G and you will se it's not ATT cause the non iPhone device always has good reception and fast data speeds while the iPhone is on the frits. But, if you go to the Apple store and complain they may give you a new iPhone that actually works and there are some iPhones out there that actually work so who knows if it's a hardware or software problem but there's definitely a problem out there effecting many users.

oh and, We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on! We're going to survive! Today we celebrate our Independence Day!

20. nptski macrumors member

bluetoth and car issues

I too have been amongst the Apple faithful since 1982. i do not expect perfection, want it, sure, expect no. I waited for this phone and found it is terrible in my brand new Lexus LS 460. When I switch away from bluetooth to the handset, the caller notices an instant improvement. The usual complaint is losing every other word.

I doubt there is a fix as I hear it lot in the forums. I will be returning this phone and feeling pretty screwed when the Apple Store whacks me a re-stocking charge for their problem. I cannot make a career out of this phone, I still can't believe I stood in line for 5 hours so get one (and yes, that is a long time even though others waited longer).

I am happy for Apple the device is a hit, it has helped my Apple stock but I will be switching back to Sprint who surprised the heck out of me how good the reception, speed, and pricing was. I may end up with a Crackberry or look at the Instinct.

21. alejovh1 macrumors regular

I've just sent my feedback to apple and ATT, hoping to get it resolved soon; I really don't want to go back to my WM phone!:eek:

22. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

My iphones 3g speed is really fast. Way faster than my 2g iphone. Maybe u just live in a bad area or u have bad karma. As far as reception, i always have full bars wherever i go. One time i had A bar but that was the 1 minute it took to transfer from edge to 3g. lol. Stop complaining. If u dont like it, dont get one. simple as that.

23. eneisch macrumors 6502a

My suspicion is it is an AT&T issue becuase...

When I perform a speed test at 6am in NYC I get between 800 kbps and 1.1 mpbs when there is less traffic on the network. Doing the same speed test at 6pm in the exact same location yield speeds on par with edge. I also noticed this throughout the rest of the NYC area during my travels. Early in the morning or late at night the speeds are terrific, but during normal hours it is slow. This has been the pattern over the past couple of days since I go the phone. To me, these results show that the iPhone 3G is capable of reaching the higher speeds, but this scenario suggests to me the AT&T network in NYC is overloaded, especially during business hours.

24. a1016neo thread starter macrumors regular

a1016neo

Good point, but this is happening everywhere across the world.... This does not explain the frequent dropped calls I get... My first gen iphone didn't have this problem...