ATV4 32GB/$149 or 64GB/$199

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by jaymc, Oct 25, 2015.

1. jaymc macrumors regular

jaymc

2. odds macrumors 6502

32 GB for me because my Apple TV will live in one place: my house with always on Wi-Fi. No need to store movies, use Apple Music to stream music, and I'm not a big gamer so I won't be concerned with that.

3. ZeRoLiMiT macrumors 6502a

ZeRoLiMiT

32gigs for me! I don't understand why I would need 64gigs. I stream all my content with Netflix, Hulu and my Plex system! My movies max out at 25gigs! Streaming them won't be a problem! but it is only $50.0 more for double the space!

4. snebes macrumors 6502a

Ditto. 32GB. Everything is streamed from my network anyway. If "apps" can only be 200MB at most, which I can't see having many in the first place, it should be fine.

5. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

64GB. The current model is 8GB and now there is 32GB and 64GB. Why not only have a 32GB if there is zero reason for 64GB? I think Apple has good reason for a 64GB version that maybe we do not fully understand yet. I could come up with reason to take advantage of the 64GB but Apple does not listen to me. I have said from the beginning they would follow the iPhone and iPad and sell multiple models based on storage options. I also expect the next version to have 128GB. Lastly, I do not consider the extra $50 much to even worry about.

6. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

There must be a half decent reason for the existence of a 64GB model, even if we don't know it yet.
    Besides, I always think it's better to have too much than too little so I'm recommending the 64 to my friends and family.

7. jdag macrumors 6502a

I agree. Seems to me that 32gb would be more than adequate, but the mere existence of the 64gb gives me reason to believe that there will be good use for the extra space at some point. I likely will opt for the 64gb model.

8. inkahauts macrumors regular

Well I'm guessing games may be the big player eventually. While the apps may be only 200 my there can be addition downloads pushing the size to 2 gigs from what I have heard. So that's either about 12 to 14 or around 30 apps if they have very large files to add. But again I expect that will mostly be for games but you never know.

9. shacky macrumors regular

shacky

For me, there are some unknowns. Will I want to store music on it? Photos? Movies? How many apps will I end up wanting-who knows what apps there may be a year from now and how big will they be? (Yes, I know that currently, Apple keeps a tight limit on app size.)

My point is, for $50 extra, heck yeah, I'm getting the 64gb as I think it will be ready for what ever comes along during the next several years I will be using it.

10. tecnho macrumors 6502

There is... Apple profits.

11. Spankey macrumors 6502a

32GB for now. At some point I will need another once the next model goes 4k. Then maybe I will see the use for 64GB.

I don't see the need to store music on it if I can't save lossless audio. Otherwise everything will stream just fine. Movies as well.

12. dearfriendx macrumors 6502

dearfriendx

A 64GB model would hold like 30 minutes of 4K content lol. That's pretending the OS takes up no room.

13. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

We still don't know if there is an option to sync music and movies? Or are these always stream only?

Apple.com says to base the decision on how many apps and games you want to use. Well I have 200 apps on my iPhone and they add up to 17GB according to iTunes so wouldn't you have to be on obsessive person to need 32GB on an Apple TV?

14. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

Absolutely 32 GB for now…

If they ever show us any reason to have all that extra storage then perhaps I'll think about changing but in the meantime I simply don't get it. It's not an iPhone or an iPad that move around and leave my house and my existing usage of the AppleTV requires basically no onboard storage (obviously).

So I guess some apps? ...but I don't understand what else (and why) I would ever need synced to the device itself?

15. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

Isn't it a little crazy that they actually sell a 16 GB iPhone, that is designed to be in your pocket and on the go all the time, yet the base model of a TV product that by definition is supposed to sit by your TV, stream, and never really go anywhere has more storage?

16. nasa25 macrumors 65816

they sell a 16gb iPhone to ensure that people buy the 64/128 gb iPhones. If they started at 32gb more people would get that one and it'd cannibalize sales of the more profitable models. They don't want you buying 16gb iPhones lol

17. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

32GB for me. If the signs are that it will be tight on space in the first week or two then it will be returned for a 64GB. I really don't envisage the need for 64GB for me with Apple's 200MB base install limit. I won't be installing tons of apps on there to fill it up.

18. turbineseaplane, Oct 26, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2015

turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

Yes - I realize it's all an upsell. It's a shameful one.

19. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

Any idea what you think will make you "tight on space"?
    I'm honestly trying to figure out what could even do it?

Maybe iTunes movie rentals that are locally downloaded? (which I do absolutely none of personally)

20. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Actually the initial install limit is 200MB but the application can grow to 2.2GB before it hits the limit and starts swapping out storage. Also, on the Apple TV 3 if you watch a movie it will download the entire movie and you can watch again without causing a new download. However, if you watch a second movie it will have to download the first one. Maybe, they will allow for more the 1 movie to be cached but I have no proof of that.

21. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

So if you mostly have streaming apps and you don't use the iTunes movie service (rentals or ownership), 32GB really sounds like the way to go?

22. 2010mini macrumors 68040

I have a 16gb iPhone and don't run out of space. Why? Because I stream all my music and use iCloud Drive for all other files.

23. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68030

OldSchoolMacGuy

I can tell you that internally the only reason I've heard at Apple so far is "So it has storage years down the road." At that point I'll buy a new model as owning the current 64GB will be like owning a 16GB iPhone 4 now. Storage on an old device that doesn't support the latest.

24. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

That is what I ended up at also - Bought the 32gb