Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Val-kyrie

macrumors 68020
Feb 13, 2005
The ATV4 tvOS does a much better job of consolidating all my media sources including Apple Music, iTunes, HBO Now, Plex, Netflix, Hulu and several sports apps. I own a decent sized library of media (mainly dvd and blu ray) that I have digitized and now live in a Plex environment. My modest Mac mini serves up Plex content directly to the new ATV4 Plex client something that unfortunately the ATV3 never could or would do. I also own a PS4 and even a Sony blu ray player that play their own small niche in my home theater setup including Vudu via the Sony blu ray player. For other sources like Amazon video I have the fall back to Airplay on iPads and iPhones something that I continue to use even on my existing ATV3. For local content TV content I use OTA digital transmissions. With the setup I have I've been able to cut the cord and said goodbye to the likes of DirecTV and Cox cable. And still come out way ahead money-wise. In short, at least for me, the ATV4 is a step in the right direction in terms of consolidating content going forward. Could it be better? Of course it could. Will it get better? I have the confidence that Apple views the ATV4 as a full partner and will deliver an improved ecosystem in the near future. In the meantime I am thoroughly enjoying the new ATV4!

I am curious about your comment. I was considering purchasing an ATV3 because I don't want to game on the ATV [edit: but I want to] use Plex to stream audio and video content from my Mac Mini server to my AVR. Will this not work? What am I missing about the upgrade from ATV3 to ATV4?

Last edited:

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Seriously, is every little annoyance actually a DISASTER?

No, but let's try not to be so dramatic with it either. ("DISASTER!")

Lots of little annoyances add up to a "meh" experience for some people (death by a many small cuts) and ultimately the question is, for $150-$200, is it doing anything I care about beyond what the $69 (or lower) device was doing for me?

Many people have found that right now it's not. If it does in the future (or the price comes down, or both), time to re-evaluate.

Tech should always be bought for what it does (and how well) around the time you buy it, especially with Apple who loves to push new/upgraded features with new models.

kissmo

Cancelled
Jun 29, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
I come from a crappy Asus OPlay! mini.... to me AT4 is kinda cool.
But its apps are crippled now.

I can see how Siri can make this TV very nice to use - when it will be more developed.
Apps - pffff..... I am still waiting for that WOW. So much Junk in HU AppStore and HBO GO doesn't even exist.
I live temporarily in HU and here everything arrives 1 year later...

I love the remote and hate it in the same time.
I love the design, the idea of the touchpad, the siri on it (even though it only works when I switch to US store).
I hate - the design - hard to say which is up and down in dark, it's too sensitive and not so precise as I thought it would be.

Overall for me it's a definite Yes - coming from crappy set top boxes... but it is priced - probably because of the remote.

In the end.... if you go with Apple products - you will end up buying stuff even if it's not fully finished like the ATV4.
I don't think I have seen many much better options, however I haven't seen options in general.

One more thing - Games - for me - were just a hype which died in 4 days....

Reactions: turbineseaplane

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
No, but let's try not to be so dramatic with it either. ("DISASTER!")

Lots of little annoyances add up to a "meh" experience for some people (death by a many small cuts) and ultimately the question is, for $150-$200, is it doing anything I care about beyond what the $69 (or lower) device was doing for me?

Many people have found that right now it's not. If it does in the future (or the price comes down, or both), time to re-evaluate.

Tech should always be bought for what it does (and how well) around the time you buy it, especially with Apple who loves to push new/upgraded features with new models.

When you say 'many people..' Are you posting this from actual figures of people actually returning their ATV to Apple. Or are you just surmising from Internet banter? Because unless you can post actual figures, you really cannot say 'many people' like its a fact.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
When you say 'many people..' Are you posting this from actual figures of people actually returning their ATV to Apple. Or are you just surmising from Internet banter? Because unless you can post actual figures, you really cannot say 'many people' like its a fact.

I'm speaking from my experiences of listening to Internet reports, a few people I know and more importantly, the rep at best buy and my local Apple Store. Also, lots of open box models have been for sale as well.

Your point of "actual figures" - you do realize we basically don't get that stuff from Apple, right?
Where do you recommend "actual figures" (that are honest) for returns and sales come from at this point?

You have to read between the lines on anything relating to sales and returns with Apple.

normanfox

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2014
I'm speaking from my experiences of listening to Internet reports, a few people I know and more importantly, the rep at best buy and my local Apple Store. Also, lots of open box models have been for sale as well.

Your point of "actual figures" - you do realize we basically don't get that stuff from Apple, right?
Where do you recommend "actual figures" (that are honest) for returns and sales come from at this point?

You have to read between the lines on anything relating to sales and returns with Apple.

I would say ATV 4 is a success and it will only get better.

I own ATV 3, Google Nexus Player, Nvidia Shield TV, ATV 4. My Shield was my favorite until I got ATV 4 for a week.

normanfox

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2014
But where are your "actual figures"?
;-) lol

who cares about numbers? as long as it serves your needs and more, that is what matters. I own many streaming boxes, and I know which one is good. I don't need someone to tell me which one is better.

I heard Android phone got 85% market share of the world smart phones. but I love my iphone 6 plus. It serves me well.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
who cares about numbers?

I guess you missed the joke hoss.

Read up a few posts and you'll see it.

You also jumped in by quoting my post mentioning the "actual figures".

Did you actually read my post you quoted?
Doesn't seem like it.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013

Read between the lines.... In other words, guess based on your own bias.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
Actual anecdotes from those present at Apple demonstrations at launch that talked with Apple directly. Word is no on the remote App. BT keyboard we don't know but it's hard to believe the omission was anything but purposeful.

You were SO certain of yourself, yet so wrong. Must be fun being the pessimist.

Remote app now working after today's updates.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
You were SO certain of yourself, yet so wrong. Must be fun being the pessimist.

Remote app now working after today's updates.

How is the trolling today?....lol

Did it ever dawn on you they may have simply listened to the feedback and changed their minds?

Those quotes direct from Apple corporate weren't made up. They fully intended to have no remote app moving forward at one time.

It was a wonderful reversal of course!
Remote app is essential if you ask me. Very useful!

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
How is the trolling today?....lol

Did it ever dawn on you they may have simply listened to the feedback and changed their minds?

Those quotes direct from Apple corporate weren't made up. They fully intended to have no remote app moving forward at one time.

It was a wonderful reversal of course!
Remote app is essential if you ask me. Very useful!

I think you were reading too much into those quotes. I really doubt they said "We are never, ever going to let the remote app work with the ATV 4."

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I think you were reading too much into those quotes. I really doubt they said "We are never, ever going to let the remote app work with the ATV 4."

Well - Honestly - What can you ever say "NEVER EVER EVER" about in life anyhow?

It did seem pretty obvious that, at one time, they wanted to go in a "non remote app" direction, but they wisely kept their ears open and listened and brought it to ATV4.

The point is - Why argue about it? Aren't we both happy they finally did it?

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
If you ask me, ATV 4 is awesome and ranks in my top 10 Apple "wow, you guys really did it". Why? I barely ever use my TV for watching actual TV anymore. I use it for Plex and Netflix, that's pretty much it. With the old ATV, the procedure was:

Grab Sony TV remote. Press power button. Select ATV HDMI input. Grab iPad. Enable AirPlay. Open Plex. Browse. Hit play. Wait for 30 seconds before ATV is done initializing and buffering the stream via 802.11a/n. Go back to Sony remote, adjust volume, since the volume control on the iPad is dead in this mode. Enjoy content for 15-30 minutes until the connection is dropped. Re-enable AirPlay. Hit play in Plex again. If it's a Plex playlist, forget seamless binge watching because only the first item will play normally, the following ones will only be background audio on the ATV home screen because the ATV now suddenly thinks you're streaming music.

With the ATV 4, it's:

Grab Siri Remote. Press Home button. ATV and Sony TV wake up. Scroll to Plex. Browse. Select playlist. Play. It starts almost immediately thanks to 802.11ac. Adjust volume on Siri remote. Enjoy. Don't worry about lost connections, hasn't happened once in one month of use.

When you're done, hold Home button and select Sleep. TV turns off along with the ATV. The ATV and my TV have become a singular entity. You can even use the TV remote to control the ATV. This is more than I ever expected a $149 hunk of plastic to offer. I though it was going to be the old ATV with Plex and a little more speed.

My only complaint is a standing one with Apple - they treat non-Americans as lesser human beings. I can't say I miss much from my Windows days, but one thing Microsoft did right was to have every single localization included before they released anything. What, you live on the tiny island of Bwozengu where natives speak a rare dialect of Piri-cluck-cluck-ahili? No prob, just scroll down and select.

Not so with Apple. Years ago when they were a small time player I thought their reluctance to support everyone equally was about scarcity of resources, but after they peaked as the #1 corporation in the world, I realized they just don't care, and that they're so US-centric you'd think Donald Trump was callling the shots.
It took over 3 years from the introduction of Siri until it was available in my language (Swedish isn't that obscure, really). The News app is still nowhere to be found on my iOS home screen(s) in 9.2. And Siri on ATV 4 is still greyed out in 71 of the 80 countries where the new ATV was launched, evidently because Apple is working on pronunciation tweaks. I'm using US English Siri on iOS just fine, thanks, but in order to enable it on ATV you have to jump through a bunch of hoops in order to trick ATV into believing you're in North America. They could've just made it work like on iOS, but no. Let's remind dem for'nurs dey ain't mericuns for a few more months. Or years. USA! USA!

Last edited:
Reactions: hufflematt
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.