Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RobbieTT

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Siri Remote failed to wake the ATV4K this morning so gave it a charge, just in case.

Woke the ATV with an iPhone and noted the "remote - lost connection" pop-up. Brought the remote very close and still no reaction to inputs so tried a re-pair.

No issues with the re-pairing, battery showing at 100% so probably was pretty full before the charge. Remote commands work ok but the remote itself only works reliably from a maximum of 18" away with direct line of sight. Take it any further away and connection is lost.

Tried restarting the ATV, powering off/on and multiple re-pairing events and still the same. It is like the remote will only work if it is within the very short distance allowed during re-pairing - within inches or physically on top. Take it away from that it falls-off the connection cliff.

All other functions work ok, the IR volume control of my soundbar from the Siri Remote still works ok, iPhone and iPad control of the ATV work without issue and even an old silver (IR) Apple remote works just fine too. No other competing wireless interference in the room; the ATV itself is connected via ethernet, as is the TV it is connected to.

Any ideas how to resolve this or at least work out if the problem is with the ATV itself, or the recent firmware update or a problem with the Siri Remote?

RobbieTT

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
United Kingdom
In case someone else stumbles on this issue I will explain my setup and what went wrong.

I have 2 x ATV4Ks in the house and they are set to mirror each others settings, so a change on one (eg moving an icon) is replicated on the other. Normally this works well and keeps everything simple to manage.

Prior to the remote issue the firmware on just 1 of the ATVs auto-updated and it was this ATV that no longer had functioning bluetooth, beyond the near-contact pairing range. As soon as I manually updated the second ATV4K so the firmwares matched again the normal function of the other ATV4K remote returned. I didn't need to re-pair the remote, it just switched to working normally.

Hope this helps someone down the line.

Last edited:
Reactions: diamond.g
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.