Australian iPhone Pre-Order and Shipping Thread

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jsmith189, Sep 9, 2017.

1. the8thark macrumors 68040

the8thark

Have you taken into account that the US price listed on the Apple Store is without tax (you have to add it on) but the Australian price on the Apple store is with GST included?

2. ThurmanMerman macrumors newbie

Okay so going by California state tax of max 10.25% (for somewhere like SF where they have the highest surtax, California is 7.25% normally) That's $1101USD, $1372AUD, still $200 difference there at the highest tax rate.

3. the8thark macrumors 68040

the8thark

Yeah the difference is still there. It's not as much as people thing because many don't know how the US sales tax works, but yeah Australians are paying more. We both feel it everytime we purchase Apple products in Australia.

4. Azzurro macrumors regular

Happy I'm not in Australia. lol We already do suffer enough here in Europe with the X pricetag.

5. sliceoftoast macrumors 6502

sliceoftoast

I can't justify 1800$ for the higher end iPhone X model, so i will get the 64GB instead. Only thing i am worried about is the huge back order issues with the get black iPhone 7 last year.

6. Ralfi macrumors 6502

Ralfi

Mamma mia che prezzo!
    :(

7. laudern macrumors 6502a

Then you have to take into account the weaker Australian dollar, which is about 20% less in value of the us dollar. So really, it's not "overpriced" when compared to the us.

Having said that, anyone who buys a $1500 phone is f**king stupid and has more dollars than sense.

8. Zipster3 macrumors member

Zipster3

Try $2200AUD for the 256gb X plus AC plus and leather case.

9. jsmith189 thread starter macrumors 65816

jsmith189

I'm only gonna buy the X with cash - any accessories etc I'm going to put onto the finance card I have lmao. I'll get a wireless charger (and ATV). Maybe more AirPods if I'm feeling festive.

10. shooter03 macrumors member

shooter03

I'm going to do the early upgrade with Optus for $99 and just get the 64gb version of the X. I was disappointed about the price of the 256gb version cause I currently run the 128gb 7+ and figured I'd need the bigger version but I went into my storage and found I only use 27gb of it as I store everything on the cloud these days. can't wait!!!

11. danny842003 macrumors regular

danny842003

American prices don't include tax so the prices don't covert easily, as each state has its own sales tax.
    Im not sure what rate GST is here. In the UK VAT is 20% and while the prices are still grater its nothing like as bad as it looks.

12. ThurmanMerman macrumors newbie

Huh? That is $1101USD converted to $1372AUD, with it being listed at $1579AUD we are still paying $200AUD more.

Read above I quoted the SF sales tax price (one of the highest taxes in the US), it is still $200AUD more including sales tax.

13. R.P.G, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

R.P.G macrumors member

This is going to be my first iPhone. i need finger print scanner and i am going with iphone 8 plus.

can someone suggest me what is a best option? Phone on contract or outright buy. Paying outright is not an issue. are there any special benefits with taking phone on contract?

14. laudern macrumors 6502a

It is ********. But at least here in Australia we have a standard 2 year warranty for iphones because of our great consumer laws. SoiPhone worth something.

15. InAustralia macrumors 6502

InAustralia

FaceID did not fail. The problem was passcode was entered initially. You Ned to enter your passcode before FaceID (and TouchID works initially).

The Verge has an article explaining what went wrong.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/9/12/16296912/apple-iphone-x-face-id-demo-fail

16. R.P.G macrumors member

when can we see them in stores? any idea. it would be great if we see them before pre-order.

17. InAustralia macrumors 6502

InAustralia

They won't be in stores until launch day, so 3 November.

18. R.P.G macrumors member

talking about Iphone 8 plus.

19. Mikeyde1989 macrumors newbie

Mikeyde1989

When d’you guys think the telcos will release the iPhone X plans?

Vodafone have released their iPhone 8/+ plans. Maybe mid October?? They have ample time to determine the prices given how late pre ordering is.

20. iStockNow macrumors 6502

iStockNow

In for another year :D
    We're ready for 8 and X monitoring and notifications, if you need them.
    We'll have a look at carriers tracking too

The X's hunt's gonna be crazy i'm afraid.

21. chanc macrumors member

chanc

Question for all the Australian users - does Apple offer an installment plan in Australia ? I can only see the full upfront pricing on Apple Australis' website. I'm considering buying a phone for my mum in Australia but hoping I don't have to fork out the A$1200+ up front.

22. zokstar macrumors member

zokstar

They offer Financing

23. InAustralia macrumors 6502

InAustralia

The 8 Plus will be available on the 22nd September (the day they go on sale).

Apple only have products displayed in their store if they are available to purchase (assuming not out of stock), so the earliest you are going to see an Apple product in store is launch day.

24. jsmith189 thread starter macrumors 65816

jsmith189

Your only real option is upfront or financing. Financing is cool, I have my card and buy most Apple products with it and just pay it off over time, but that of course would mean that she would need to apply for it with a $2,000+ limit and it's essentially another credit card (but one that can only be used at Apple lol).

Another option is to just get it through a carrier, so sign her up for a contract and they give her the phone for "free" and you can just pay it off over the 24 month phone contract.

25. danny842003 macrumors regular

danny842003

Willy the carriers not release pricing structures until the pre orders go live?

Keen to see what optus are offering as I've always had great coverage and I'm an EPL fan.
    What do we think the extra monthly cost of taking the 256GB will be?