Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

National Australia Bank (NAB) today announced support for Apple Pay, allowing NAB customers with a Visa Card to make purchases using the Apple Pay payments service.

NAB, a former notable Apple Pay holdout, is the third of Australia's "Big Four" banks to begin accepting Apple Pay.

nabapplepay.jpg

It's here. NAB customers can now use Apple Pay. Just add your NAB Visa Card and start using Apple Pay wherever you can tap and pay. Apple Pay with NAB. Easy. T&Cs apply. https://t.co/bs5t9VIGwT pic.twitter.com/fDY5vbMRDA - NAB (@NAB) May 20, 2019

Apple Pay support was announced on NAB's Twitter account earlier today, and MacRumors readers have confirmed that the service is now working. NAB is not yet listed as a partner on Apple's Apple Pay site in the country, but should be added soon.

NAB, along with Commonwealth Bank and Westpac, attempted to collectively bargain with Apple in an attempt to force Apple to open up the iPhone's NFC capabilities to support other digital wallets, like those offered by the banks themselves.

Apple claimed this would be harmful to customers and would stifle innovation, which Australian regulators agreed with. The banks were not provided with authorization to collectively bargain with Apple.

Commonwealth Bank, the largest bank in Australia and another former Apple Pay holdout, began accepting Apple Pay in January, and ANZ, another of the four big banks in the country, has accepted Apple Pay since it launched in Australia, as have other smaller banks.

With CBA, ANZ, and NAB all accepting Apple Pay, Westpac is the sole major holdout in Australia. It's not clear if and when Westpac will begin supporting Apple Pay, but with all other major banks making the feature available, Westpac may give in.

Article Link: Australia's National Australia Bank Now Accepts Apple Pay

tonyduffe

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2018
Australia
Yeah you guys forgot to mention UBank.
Westpac is the sole major holdout in Australia. It's not clear if and when Westpac will begin supporting Apple Pay, but with all other major banks making the feature available, Westpac may give in.

On another note Westpac has folded in New Zealand and they offer Apple Pay there that happened last month.

Reactions: xplora and simonmet

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Do yourself a favour and ditch the big four and their subsidiaries masquerading as separate banks.

They have too much market dominance, aren’t very good value and have appalling ethical and social responsibility records. If the Royal Commission wasn’t enough to prove that I don’t know what is.

I’m with Teachers Mutual, which has had Apple Pay for a long time, but there are loads of others.

Last edited:
Reactions: mech986

airbatross

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2018
Sydney, AU
Lol.. That stupid Beem didn’t work huh NAB?
I made the move to ANZ last year after constant stupid replies from customer service. I know thousands of Apple users also did. Glad to know they accepted their mistake but I’m pretty sure they’ll miss the next best thing in the future.. So, I’ll never bank with them again.

Whoever decided that they could survive without working with Apple when they have huge premium customers using iOS should be fired.

tonyduffe

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2018
Australia
Lol.. That stupid Beem didn’t work huh NAB?

Actually, the Beem It app has its place. Was mostly Commonwealth Bank. NAB and Westpac just came along for the ride. And I think the media really got it wrong regarding that app it really had no intentions to ever be anything like Apple Pay.

If the app did anything it was to screw over the new payments platform and lock customers into an app that was released a short minute before that was due to go live to try and take customers away from using something that universally available through all banks that get on the NPP.

And let's not get started with how the big banks are trying to hobble things with the poorly implemented rollout of the NPP.

Reactions: mech986

Sym0

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2013
Do yourself a favour and ditch the big four and their subsidiaries masquerading as separate banks.

They have too much market dominance, aren’t very good value and have appalling social responsibility records. If the Royal Commission wasn’t enough to prove that I don’t know what is.

I’m with Teachers Mutual, which has had Apple Pay for a long time, but there are loads of others.

Been there done that, did 10 years with St George (before it was bought be Westpac) and BOQ - NEVER going back, what a horrid, inconsistent old fashioned and arrogant bunch of wankers. Sick of being treated like a criminal when sorting out home loans etc.

Commbank set me up with a new loan, insurance, carloan, etc all from the comfort of my office chair, 48 hours all done.

Last edited:
Reactions: martyjmclean

TrulsZK

macrumors regular
May 1, 2018
Norway
Hope something similar happens to DNB, one of Norway’s largest banks.

They are refusing to support Apple Pay and told us that we are satisfied with contactless cards (at that point Apple Pay had only been live for a day), and not all terminals support contactless/Apple Pay, (within 2020 all terminals are required to accept contactless/Apple Pay).

Personally switched to Nordea after DNB’s negative attitude on day one of Apple Pay going live here in Norway.

Last edited:

ErikGrim

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Hope something similar happens to DNB, one of Norway’s largest banks.

They are refusing to support Apple Pay and told us that we are satisfied with contactless cards (at that point Apple Pay had only been live for a day), and not all terminals support Apple Pay, (within 2020 all terminals are required to accept contactless).

Personally switched to Nordea after DNB’s negative attitude on day one of Apple Pay going live here in Norway.
Huh? If a terminal support contactless it supports Apple Pay. There's no technical difference to the terminal.

TrulsZK

macrumors regular
May 1, 2018
Norway
Huh? If a terminal support contactless it supports Apple Pay. There's no technical difference to the terminal.

Yes I know, but DNB uses the amount of terminals supporting contactless/Apple Pay as a reason not to support Apple Pay.

There is a technical difference between contactless card and Apple Pay; it is CDCVM / Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. Where you use FaceID / Apple Watch instead of you PIN, this allows you to use Apple Pay for higher amounts than the normal contactless limit without getting an error message or enter PIN.

Last edited:

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
And ubank too!

Yeah you guys forgot to mention UBank.

Considering their ownership structure... "UBank is a division of National Australia Bank Limited", it's not surprising.

I found long ago that a bank is only useful (in some cases) for storing money and choose to almost exclusively spend with AMEX, who have been with Apple Pay for quite a while and reward me much better (recent devaluation notwithstanding). When I'm forced into a V/MC purchase I do what I have to do, including using ING in the past, however that will no longer be necessary I suppose.

Commbank set me up with a new loan, insurance, carloan, etc all from the comfort of my office chair, 48 hours all done.

I doubt they'll be doing that so easily and readily anymore though ;) regardless of your capability to pay off those loans, it was that sort of attitude that got the banks into trouble recently.

Reactions: simonmet

ErikGrim

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
There is a technical difference between contactless card and Apple Pay; it is CDCVM / Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. Where you use FaceID / Apple Watch instead of you PIN, this allows you to use Apple Pay for higher amounts than the normal contactless limit without getting an error message or enter PIN.
Well aware of that, aptly demonstrated when I paid $2,200 for my bike with a single tap of my wrist. :D

tonyduffe

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2018
Australia
Considering their ownership structure... "UBank is a division of National Australia Bank Limited", it's not surprising.

I know. The surprising part is it's not mentioned anywhere in this article that's more of what we're trying to point out. As I mentioned it in my post in the Apple Pay in Australia thread here.

Classie

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2018
Sweden
Yes I know, but DNB uses the amount of terminals supporting contactless/Apple Pay as a reason not to support Apple Pay.

Ohh! I didn’t know this. Always wondered why I sometime had to enter the pin-code. Thanks.
[doublepost=1558423210][/doublepost]I’m also in the process of switching bank, due to lack of support of Apple Pay; SEB to Nordea (Sweden)

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Been there done that, did 10 years with St George (before it was bought be Westpac) and BOQ - NEVER going back, what a horrid, inconsistent old fashioned and arrogant bunch of wankers. Sick of being treated like a criminal when sorting out home loans etc.

I think the fact St George sold out (indicating their priorities) and BOQ behaves like the big big four and has a dodgy track record is your problem. You need to do better when sussing out alternatives. St George never appealed to me for some reason. Actually I know what it is: their excessive and incredibly lame advertising. I’m wary of companies that use too much expensive advertising instead of word-of-mouth (and I certainly never heard anything good about them or BOQ). Case in point: iiNet. What a horrible experience that was!

I left Commonwealth to join Teachers Mutual and I couldn’t be happier. The big banks unfairly penalise low income earners too but Teachers doesn’t. I’m not the only one who seems to despise CBA and their co-conspirators here.

Last edited:

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
if it supports contactless, it supports Apple Pay as if it were a contactless card. Contactless cards can be stolen, that's why there's quite a strict limit on how much you can pay in one go and in one day.

A terminal that properly supports ApplePay will know that it is ApplePay, and that the user must use TouchID or FaceID, making it much safer, so the payment limits are raised significantly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.