Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trdspectacoma

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2010
Is it possible to cut out an old rubber button from another case and place it over the power button and fix that problem? Like leave enough area on the outside for the case to hold it on

You could there is someone that moded over in the show your cases off thread.

danny0220

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2012
you guys notice that draco has a 20% off promo code on their site now? looks like they're getting a lot of complaints/returns and are desperate to sell them off! ****...if they sold me one for $20, THEN i'd buy. just so i could do some testing on it. can't believe them. ridiculous.

Mythz

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2012
I am returning mine shortly. Really nice looking case but not being able to use LTE and average of 1 bar loss during 3G/4g is a deal breaker.

swervinsuburban

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
If anybody was reading my prior post of why this case wont work i'll throw this one last bit of information in there. Element Sector 5 cases had a real carbon fiber back, not fake....carbon fiber has threads of metal compond weaved into it to make it super strong thus it conducts electricity, when you put it on the back of your phone it completed the circuit between the two antennas causing the distrubtion between the two antennas, thats why they don't sell the carbon back anymore. Now I don't feel bad for Draco because they should have done their research on this one, but falsy claimng their case doesn't cause signal failure is a complete lie and possibly illegal in the American market for false advertising they could have legal actions taken against them if people got really pissed.

mortfe

macrumors regular
May 31, 2008
Spent 3 hours at UPS picking up phone. Couldn't find a damn thing. They suck. Okay, LTE in and out. 3G 5 bars instead of usual 3 and a lot faster. Bad area and now snowing. Need to test further, but keeping.

swervinsuburban

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
I think that's a joke? haha

I'm not talking about that exact product, I'm talking about a general idea, there are signal boosters, or add something that touches the antenna and gives it acess to go outside of the case, almost like an aluminum bodies case with four antennas on the side, element kind of did this with the sector 5 with the plastic pieces

mortfe

macrumors regular
May 31, 2008
Exact fit with case. Put a thin piece of rubber under power button to raise it slightly. Carbon fiber back: makes no difference. My old iPhone had one that wasn't real and tried it. Also coated the inside of frame with liquid rubber all around. Remember all 4 sides have a hairline separation and I believe that has everything to do with the signal. According to Apple the back and trim are true alumimum, yet without a metal case, no signal loss.

swervinsuburban

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
Exact fit with case. Put a thin piece of rubber under power button to raise it slightly. Carbon fiber back: makes no difference. My old iPhone had one that wasn't real and tried it. Also coated the inside of frame with liquid rubber all around. Remember all 4 sides have a hairline separation and I believe that has everything to do with the signal. According to Apple the back and trim are true alumimum, yet without a metal case, no signal loss.

Fake carbon fiber is straight plastic it doesn't conduct electricity

deep3lue

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2012
Singapore
Hi

If you want to play with words and just want to quarrel and keep self believe we are from Draco so be it.

All those message pointed out by you from our past posting are just 1 sided story to make yourself believe we are from Draco and totally not even close to telling a completed picture. And why did you never post that me and speedster4005 also mention that we had brought the sector 5. And also the posting where we are also waiting for Draco 5 shippment to be in? Or where my past posting complaining that Draco keep delaying shipping their Draco 5?

Me and speedster4005 just trying to be friendly and share our finding in our local forum and this is the kind of behaviour we encounter. :mad::mad:

I will reframe from posting else wait another crazy person claim I'm working for Apple just because I say I have iPhone and love it.

May I suggest that you remove the bumper, video the whole process of assembling the bumper and demonstrate your LTE speed using Speedtest.net.

Sometimes pictures are simply just not good enough.

mortfe

macrumors regular
May 31, 2008
Right. What I said I tried the fake carbon fiber that I had on my old iPhone 4 and a real one I just bought for the iPhone 5 and got the same results.

der-kaiser

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
Brisbane
Then why isn't it killing my signal? Please explain if you will.. I'm not saying everyone will see the same results, obviously it will come down to cell towers and interference of various kinds.

The irony is that the Draco 5's worst drawback isn't even that it might degrade your reception.

This.

No need to be an ass and stand accusing anyone who has a contradictory experience then you of being a sale snitch. :rolleyes:

keigo

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2006
May I suggest that you remove the bumper, video the whole process of assembling the bumper and demonstrate your LTE speed using Speedtest.net.

Sometimes pictures are simply just not good enough.

haha deep3lue... why should I bother to waste my time?? Draco should be the one doing this...

I dont gain anything thus why go all the trouble...

I only have this side by side photo of iphone without metal case and iphone with Draco 5...

Dont believe then forget it...I'm not gaining anything after all just want to share my finding as a normal user...

IMG_0097.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

mortfe

macrumors regular
May 31, 2008
Okay guys, finally got a chance to test it a little. Old Bridge, NJ. At home, 3 bars LTE, occasionally dropping to 2 bars. Sayreville NJ: 3 bars and East Brunswick NJ clocked in a 5 bars. Thought I was dreaming. Never got that with my iPhone 4 on 3G and really find this hard to believe with all the complaints. Sorry, no pics so you will have to take my word for now. Will try and get some pics next time.

Mercutio05

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2012
Just got mine yesterday.
It's a beautiful case.
I have no LTE problems in Toronto
The signal might be affected to the slightest bit,
Other than that it's a great case.

Last edited:

swervinsuburban

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
I find it very strange that half the people on here say it completely kills signal and the other half says it boosts signal.....almost everybody in the Unites States says it kills signal and people out say it doesn't that's way too much of a gap in usability either people are lying or somehow the pad placement inside the case can affect it if its bad.

Mythz

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2012
Let's not diminish the full value of the case here. It's a beautiful case, and I've owned a few authentic Vapor Pro for the 4/4S. It's probably the best looking bumper case I have seen on the market for the iPhone 5 currently. Unfortunately, the whole reason I upgraded my 4s to the 5 was to utilize LTE. I'm located in the SF Bay Area, and I have AT&T service for some background information.

After about a week of testing in SF and cities in the near vicinity of SF and South Bay, I've noticed the following with the case: There is a definite signal loss of 1 bar on average. If I am in a poor service location for AT&T, let's say 1-2 bars with the case off, then I will drop to 1 bars maximum or No Service, or Searching. If I had LTE consistently capable at a location without the case, with the case, I would have constant fluctuation of LTE and 3g/4g or complete loss of LTE. (More info below)

In a majority of the locations I have tested it, If I had LTE capable without the case on, with the case on the signal would be erratic. I would go LTE to 3G/4G constantly and the speed difference would be extremely noticeable not having LTE consistently. In the end, because of the fact that I could not consistently get LTE with the case ON, I returned this case to Draco yesterday. To be honest, if you are in a location without LTE, having this case on or off is pretty negligible toward the service. Unfortunately for me, since I am in a LTE city, having this case on prevented me from using LTE and the phone. For a $100 case, this was unacceptable for me.

If you don't have access to LTE though, this is a beautiful case and I don't think the signal loss is bad enough to not use it. (I had purchased the Metro Black one) I had no problems with call quality outside of the poor service areas with the case on. AT&T call quality is only average in the SF area though its LTE speeds are phenomenal here.

Hopefully my review will assist people in making their decision when purchasing this case.

Bullet Points:
User in a city without LTE: Get the case, it is an amazing, high quality and beautiful bumper.
User in a city with LTE: Stay away, it will make LTE useless and inconsistent with the case on.

mortfe

macrumors regular
May 31, 2008
I did not monitor as closely as Mythz. I checked every couole of minutes as I drove around. My home area is not a great signal area. Usually get 3 bars, with DRACO on and an occasional drop to 2 bars. Did not have have constant fluctuation of LTE that Mythz had. I have never dropped below 2 bars any place. I have however found in the past, VZW to be a lot stronger than AT&T and have never dropped a call. Got a call inside supermarket today, 2 bars LTE and never changed while moving around. This has been my experience and no BS. Believe what you want. If you can live with a 1 bar loss and some fluctuation, this case is great. If not, don't get it or return it.

der-kaiser

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
Brisbane
I find it very strange that half the people on here say it completely kills signal and the other half says it boosts signal.....almost everybody in the Unites States says it kills signal and people out say it doesn't that's way too much of a gap in usability either people are lying or somehow the pad placement inside the case can affect it if its bad.

I think that should tell you more of the quality of telecoms in the States then anything else. No issue here as well although Tomtom gps seems to be half a second slower. Also had no issues using the original Element Case Vapor bumper that was fully aluminium back in the day on my iPhone4/s.

swervinsuburban

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
I think that should tell you more of the quality of telecoms in the States then anything else. No issue here as well although Tomtom gps seems to be half a second slower. Also had no issues using the original Element Case Vapor bumper that was fully aluminium back in the day on my iPhone4/s.

That makes now sense if their saying LTE works when it's off perfectly fine but doesn't when the case is on, that has nothing to do with "American Telecoms" now you just look like some racist Aussie.

der-kaiser

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
Brisbane
That makes now sense if their saying LTE works when it's off perfectly fine but doesn't when the case is on, that has nothing to do with "American Telecoms" now you just look like some racist Aussie.

Come again? LTE works perfectly fine on mine with the case on.

Do you even understand what racism means? :confused::rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.