Avengers Endgame (with spoilers)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by daimos, Apr 27, 2019.

1. decafjava macrumors 68030

decafjava

I haven't been this pleased with a film which also a wrap-ups a franchise since "Return of the King" and "Return of the Jedi". Many feels here, not as many as Return of the King but pretty intense.

My niece will be very happy this coming weekend.

2. skaertus macrumors 68040

skaertus

Now it has almost $1.5 billion. And will be at $2 billion in a snap of fingers.

3. skaertus macrumors 68040

skaertus

I am disappointed by the movie, I really expected more. Fat Thor was OK, although the CGI could be better. Smart Hulk does not bother me as well.

But too many plot holes. I am still not convinced of the time travel theories. And so many others. Five years into the future, and then half of the population reappeared. How does Peter Parker fit at school after all these years? And his friends? If some three billion people just reappear, where are the news about it?

And why five years in the future? And so little happened in five years? The world just mourned everybody who disappeared?

Hawkeye’s family is totally gone with the snap. Tony Stark’s family remains in full. Luck? Or just convenience?

The battle scene is full of cliches. The Infinity Gauntlet passes from one hand to the other so all new reappeared superheroes, such as Spider-Man and Black Panther, have a chance to appear in the film. Then Captain Marvel receives the gauntlet and suddenly an army of women appear to help her. Feminism at the expense of likelihood. The cliches are so obvious that hurts.

Tony Stark’s death was a cliche. So expected. Black Widow dying was just a casualty, but Tony Stark was a major event. And Captain America retiring was cliche as well. We just went back in the past to live the life he should have from the beginning. How romantic.

I usually do not even notice plot holes in movies. But Endgame was so full of them that it was hard not to.

And so many other things could have happened. Stupid plot of time heist. Where is Death, the love interest of Thanos? So many stories that could have been told. And they chose a convoluted and confusing one with plot holes.

Yes, it is funny and I would watch it again. But far from my expectations.

4. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

It's a reference to the comics, there was a comic title called A-Force which was comprised of a bunch of the lady Avengers working together.

Also, a lot of your questions about the Returned people, will be answered in Spider-Man: Far From Home.

And yes, it was a coincidence that Pepper survived the Snap, the whole thing was randomized. So in theory, Earth could have been completely unaffected and the Kree homeworld of Hala could have been wiped bare.

5. skaertus macrumors 68040

skaertus

Oh OK.

There are some more.

If I recall correctly, in Guardians of the Galaxy, a human would die by touching an infinity stone. In Endgame, they just pick infinity stones with their bare hands.

In Infinity War, Thanos snaps his fingers with the gauntlet and nothing happens to him. In Endgame, snapping fingers with the gauntlet hurted Thanos and Hulk, and killed Tony Stark. Was this to justify Tony Stark’s noble death?

6. JBGoode macrumors 6502

JBGoode

That was the Power stone in Guardians. Strange picked up the time stone with no issues I believe didn't he? I really can't remember and I don't recall anyone bare-handing the stones in Endgame. I have to watch it again. There was a lot to digest in that movie.

Thanos was severely injured from the first snap; it was pretty obvious in both movies. He was not in good shape when the Avengers came looking for him in Endgame.

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

None of them do. They all touched the original artifact (Tesseract, orb housing power stone, etc.) and when they got back to the lab, they extracted the stones and placed them on the iron gauntlet via machine.

Everyone who used the gauntlet was harmed in some form - some worse than others as explained in the movie. At the beginning of the movie, you see a damaged and scarred Thanos resulting from the snap in Infinity War. The same thing happened to Hulk when he snapped everyone back. We all saw what happened to Tony when snapped. Thanos never used the gauntlet with the stones in Endgame.

8. eyeseeyou macrumors 68030

I thought time travel in the MCU was actually reality hopping.

If he grew old in his original reality then what happened to the old cap? Did they know about eachother the whole time? He just let hydra happen so bucky can go through what he went through and become winter soldier?

9. JBGoode, May 1, 2019
    Last edited: May 1, 2019

JBGoode macrumors 6502

JBGoode

Actually I was apparently not correct and the Russos recently confirmed that he did create an alternate timeline when he decided to stay in the past. I would still have to assume that this new 'branch' still has a Cap frozen in the ocean. They hinted that possibly that story and how he returned to the prime reality to hand off the shield might be explored in the future..... Disney series? Comic series? Who knows if it will even happen, they might have just wanted to provide an answer to the question.

10. daimos thread starter macrumors regular

11. rhett7660 macrumors G5

rhett7660

This first question, I believe it depends on the stone itself.

The second highlighted area, when did it hurt Thanos? I thought he was only burned when he destroyed the stones by using the stones? Or did I miss something?

12. decafjava macrumors 68030

decafjava

Plot holes, there are many one can pick in even the greatest films. Time travel is a mind f*** - always, I got really perplexed all of a sudden awhile after seeing "Back to the Future" the first time. Who was the Alex who lived with his now prosperous family at the end?

There are a few bootstrap paradoxes in the film, being a long time Star Trek and Doctor Who fan helps. I think Cap just decided to live out his life after returning the stones as what he was "owed" for his service knowing it would all turn out right in the end.

13. skaertus macrumors 68040

skaertus

Thanos hurt himself when he used the gauntlet to destroy the infinity stones, as he told the Avengers at the beginning of the film (and not as a result of the snap in Infinity War).

14. skaertus macrumors 68040

skaertus

It hurt Thanos when he used the gauntlet to destroy the stones. But Thanos was not hurt when he used the gauntlet to make people disappear in Infinity War.

15. skaertus macrumors 68040

skaertus

Yes, any great movie has plot holes. I am not someone who seeks plot holes; on the contrary, I do not pay attention to them.

There are two movies that I have seen in my whole life, however, in which the plot holes were so evident that they called my attention to an uncomfortable degree. When the movie stops making sense due to logical plot holes, it may get to the nerves.

The first one was Lara Croft: Tomb Raider (the original one). Bad movie, and the plot has logical holes.

The second one is Endgame. I think the MCU is so great, but the only movie in the whole series that called my attention to the plot holes is Endgame. And it was supposed to be the best one. A budget of $350 million, and they could not make a more consistent story?

16. rhett7660 macrumors G5

rhett7660

Correct, first and foremost, the gauntlet was built for the sole purpose of housing the stones, and protects the user who has the gauntlet and uses the stones. The one that Tony built, did not have the same properties and ability to protect the user.

When he destroyed the stones that is when he was burnt up, when he used the stones, it did not hurt him. He used it several times, prior to obtaining all the stones. Also, he has no "human" in him, which Tony and Bruce do.

17. JBGoode macrumors 6502

JBGoode

I think some of you need to rewatch Infinity War/Endgame. To say that Thanos was not injured by using the gauntlet to snap away half the universe is clearly wrong. You can actually just google it and see what the directors have to say about it.

18. skaertus macrumors 68040

skaertus

I will watch Infinity War again just to check.

19. Stark3000 Suspended

Stark3000

Most enjoyable film I think I’ve ever seen. Having a good crowd just added to the good time.

20. skaertus macrumors 68040

skaertus

What really bothers me about the plot is that the whole movie takes place five years after the events in Infinity War. And, although there is time travel, the events are not undone.

When I watched Infinity War, I was pretty sure that they would come up with some idea in Endgame to undo the snapping and the disappearance of half the living beings in the world. I mean, if the population of the universe is divided by half, there would be tremendous consequences. They should have traveled back in time to avoid that happening at all.

But Endgame not only did not do that, it fast forwarded this five years in the future. People are back after five years, but then, there has been five years! The consequences are huge, and they did not even begin to addresss them.

If half the population suddenly disappears, there will be chaos in cities, bankrupt businesses, abandoned places, vacant properties, broken families. The world would be a bizarrely different place.

If, five years later, all these people reappear, that is chaos again. Five years later, the world would have accommodated with half the population. Bring all these people again and there will be chaos again: shortage of food and supplies, not enough goods and services for everybody, not enough room for everyone. Not every family would have left a spare room waiting for the missing ones. No supermarket would wait for half its customers to suddenly reappear.

I mean, the events in Infinity War triggered consequences to the whole mankind, and which were aggravated (and not mitigated) in Endgame.

How are they going to deal with it and keep it realistic? Now every new movie will take place after the events in Endgame, I suppose. Is the world depicted in these movies be the same as if such traumatic events never happened?

The next movie is Spider-Man. Peter Parker will be back at school. Have his friends grown up? Are they graduated? Or are they all in the same class, as if five years have not passed for half of them? Is there enough space for him in the class or in the school? Are his relatives older? Some of them may have died during this period? Are they going to think of every detail in day-to-day life that necessarily change during this 5-year gap in which half the population was missing? And are they going to do it in every movie in the MCU from now on?

Of course not. The consequences are too many, and cannot be addressed. Instead of creating events that affect the MCU characters only, they created some that profoundly change the world. And they cannot keep track of such huge changes, which will make the MCU less logically plausible from now on. There will not be a logical continuity to these events.

21. Stark3000 Suspended

Stark3000

A lot of people said the movie didn’t deal with this but after it happened, the movie ended. Save the complaint for after far from home. If it isn’t addressed at all in that film, then it’s a valid complaint. After all, the producer said FFH is the final film in phase 3 so it should be addressed then.

22. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

One of the last scenes even showed Peter back in school reuniting with his best friend. We're they both snapped out and back in?

23. skaertus macrumors 68040

skaertus

I suppose they put a hard task on themselves. How are they going to address this in every single movie of the MCU from now on? Perhaps they should rename the franchise to Mission: Impossible.

24. skaertus macrumors 68040

skaertus

Yes, I was going to mention that. Were they both snapped out? If they were, then perhaps it does not make sense for them to be reuniting so happily, as none of them would have spent the last five years missing the other. But if Peter’s friend was not snapped out, should he even be at the same school?

25. Stark3000 Suspended

Stark3000

Yes. That’s the only thing that makes sense to me.
    Maybe they won’t. Maybe it will be a big thing in FFH and then just a mention here or there in the next films. Maybe the Russo brothers are like well that’s the next filmmakers problem.