Avengers Endgame (with spoilers)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by daimos, Apr 27, 2019.

1. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

I guess I tend to not care about what is popular or not and do what I want. I enjoyed the hell out of Iron Man in 2008 and I enjoyed the hell out of Endgame in 2019. I like lots of things that aren't popular, and lots of things that are. What matters most is the enjoyment I personally get from it. You'll be a lot happier if you do you and stop measuring inconsequential things against some ill-defined metric that, at the end of the day, doesn't matter in the slightest. I've not even given second thought to hipster beards. They're just beards. Sounds like a waste of time. These are just movies. They're fun, no more, no less. :D

2. rhett7660 macrumors G5

rhett7660

Exactly! It is a comic book movie and a really good comic book movie at that! At least in my opinion.

3. skaertus macrumors 68040

skaertus

Yes, that is probably the case. However, it is not very coherent to think of a cinematic universe in which such a dramatic, earth-shaking event took place, and then it is just a mention. The problem with tying all these movies together is that they should be very careful with the events so they do not have consequences beyond what they can handle.

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

+1

If you re-watch Infinity War, look at Thanos pre and post-snap. This left side of his body was burnt after snapping while there was no damage to his body before the snap and after Thor used Stormbreaker.

5. skaertus macrumors 68040

skaertus

I had not noticed this. I will re-watch Infinity War.

6. Number-Six macrumors 6502

Number-Six

I have read that the whole group of friends was snapped out/back in, in order to explain why it will mostly be the same cast of kids in the new Spider-Man movie.

7. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I'd rather have seen Peter hanging out with an adult as his best friend/sidekick. Kinda like the twins in Manifest.

8. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Overall I liked Endgame, but many of the 'problems' it had stemmed from the sheer volume of main characters.
    This is one of the aspects I liked.

Most of the characters got a lot of development (even if it was to end them off). Black Widow's wrap up was the weakest but part of that was what here character was, a lone spy reluctant to trust who finally finds a family and sacrifices herself for... the whole fight at the end with Hawkeye was a bit over-done but it played on their original friendship.

I also really liked seeing Tony Stark as a dad, and to a daughter. The whole meeting his father was a bit over-done too but tied up that relationship too quite well. The whole Pepper in a suit thing was something obvioulsy coming from the beginning, but it seemed like more of a plot device so she could be there for Tony's last moments.

Fat Thor was great as it was a way to compartmentalize dealing with the single most devastating tragedy to have occurred in history. The 'Fat Thor' played that out well.

Smart Hulk to me was ok... more like a natural end point where there is finally some Banner/Hulk balance.

I love the fact that the elevator scene was the same set up as the elevator fight scene in "Captain America: Winter Soldier"

While it would be big news, you'd have to be the biggest hermit in the universe to not know 'the snap' was undone. :D

Luck of the draw. But to your point of the randomness, I really wished that they explored the fact that Thanos knew he was also putting his life on a 50/50 chance on 'the snap'.

Ok now for some time travel talk (quotes out of order):
    (start at the 30 second mark)

I think 5 years was a convenient spot as the characters who didn't 'snap out' wouldn't have aged much. Also loosing 3.5billion people means there'd probably be a lot of cleanup and a fair bit of chaos post-snap. They kind of hint at this as Ant-Man goes to see his daughter, dirty streets, car up on blocks with wheels removed, abandoned houses... that kind of thing.

They actually reference the time line continuity several different times they choose to bring back the people at that particular point as to preserve their current timeline.

But....
    Yeah this is where I would go crosseyed... but when Tony does the second snap and Thanos and his underlings disappear I think (for the time lines sake) that they instead of being snapped out of existence would be returned to the past with no knowledge of the future. ... I admit that's a big leap to take.

All in all very enjoyable to watch, might have made me misty... but I'm going to blame that on allergies. :D

9. rhett7660 macrumors G5

rhett7660

@Raid

I took Tony's snap was a snap to rid them of Thanos and his minions.

Yup, you are correct, you can see he gets burned etc when he does the snap...

10. eyeseeyou macrumors 68030

In infinity war when thor came back to Wakanda and Banner was like "You guys are in trouble now!", that's how I felt when I saw Cap catch thors hammer. For me that was the best scene of the movie...ummm if I don't think about it too much. Not sure what the rules are about the abilities you gain once you're wielding the hammer or umm storm breaker.
    --- Post Merged, May 4, 2019 ---
    Tony's family like Pepper? Didn't they have a daughter post snap?

11. Stark3000 Suspended

Stark3000

Yes they did. And she loves cheeseburgers.

12. phillytim, May 6, 2019
    Last edited: May 6, 2019

phillytim macrumors 65816

phillytim

Saw Endgame yesterday, and can't wait to see it a second time (probably this coming weekend)! The Infinity stones plot has been *amazing*. Last year I knew going into a movie called "Infinity War" was something huge, and its Endgame companion is a fitting spectacle.

I just think the MCU has been perfectly cast all-around; couldn't imagine anyone else in the roles that Downey, Evans, Hemsworth, etc. have played. We have hope for more films with Evans & Hemsworth.

But I really find myself strongly appreciating what Robert Downey Jr. brought to Iron Man; I think how any MCU film without him are the MCU's weakest points, and unfortunately Downey's participation has apparently come to such a wonderfully bittersweet end.

13. trillionaire macrumors regular

trillionaire

I guess I'm in the minority, but I'm a little underwhelmed with Endgame. I thought it was too drawn out and could have been done in 2 hours. It wasn't as grandiose as I found Infinity War to be. I felt they overdid a lot of it in a bad way. That's just my opinion though.

I wouldn't say it was a bad movie, far from it, but I guess it just wasn't what I expected. Maybe it's just that the MCU set the bar so high that I was expecting a life-altering movie, which I don't feel this was. Still curious to see where they go from here though.

14. Stark3000 Suspended

Stark3000

The new Spider Man Far From Home trailer looks fantastic.

15. kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

I liked it and am happy we’ll probably get more Thor. :) Thor was my favorite character in these two movies.

16. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Watched it today.
    I enjoyed it.
    However, Captain Marvel is annoyingly powerful.

17. rhett7660 macrumors G5

rhett7660

I wish they would have picked someone else to play her, I found her annoying period... Every time she was on screen, it took me out of the movie. I haven't seen her movie, waiting for video, but from what I have seen of it, she is going to annoy me even more.

18. Khalanad75 macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

I'm hoping we get the X-Men crossover where Rogue drains the ever living crap out of her.