Average U.S. iPhone User Spent $79 on Apps Last Year

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iPhone users in the United States spent an average of $79 on App Store games and apps in 2018 according to an upcoming Sensor Tower report shared today by TechCrunch.

At $79, the revenue generated per active U.S. iPhone grew 36 percent year over year, up from an average of $58 spent per iPhone in 2017. iPhone users spent about $21 more in 2018 on in-app purchases and paid downloads.

Much of the spending growth came from mobile gaming, with 56 percent of the $79 total average attributed to App Store games.

Spending was also up quite a lot in other categories such as entertainment, music, social networking, and health and fitness.

Sensor Tower believes that subscription apps are a contributing factor for the increased spending in many of these non-faming categories.

Apple's App Store is a major revenue driver for Apple in its services category, with app purchases continually setting new revenue records. The App Store hit a new single-day revenue record on New Year's Day, for example, with customers spending a whopping $322 million.

Over the holiday period including Christmas and New Year's Day, the App Store raked in more than $1.22 billion.

Article Link: Average U.S. iPhone User Spent $79 on Apps Last Year

Reactions: jeremiah256

Nate Weir

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2014
There were approximately 95 million iPhone users across the US in 2018. Which equates to approximately 7.2 billion in sales. :eek:

Comment

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
:)No, I did not. In fact, not one cent on the Apps;).
Included in the averages are people who subscribed to Netflix through iTunes long ago. Those people are paying $12 x 12 = $144 a year on 'apps'.

I subscribe to Boomerang Cartoons for $39/year for the kids. Much cheaper than getting the channel through DirecTV.

I also subscribe to Beachbody On Demand for the wife. It's $99/year.

So, those put me at $138/year. I hardly buy any apps (maybe $5/year), but I skewed the result a lot with those subscriptions.

You also can't believe the number of times my daughter or son get a free app and in order to play it better/quicker/more levels, they want to spend $5-$10 on in-app purchases. I've declined every time. But I'm sure many parents just say 'yes' so the kid goes away.

Last edited:
Comment

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
I haven't spent $79 on app purchases on Apple or Google combined since both platforms had stores.
Best guess is less than $20 in the last 10 years.
I don't think my Office 360 or Adobe subscriptions really count as the phone apps are an included as an after thought. (I paid for those subs outside of the app store.)

Comment

macrumors Demi-God
Oct 2, 2016
I did spend on some Apps, which then I end up not using... I'm sticking with Free Apps from now on.

Comment

pdaholic

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2011
Just looked through my receipts, and I purchased 6 apps off the app store last year, all utility type apps. I regret every purchase except one, nPlayer Plus, which I have actually stopped using (but still think it's an awesome app).

Comment

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I guess it is pretty easy to do:

200gb iCloud storage: $2.99/month
robokiller: $2.99/month (spam calls are the devil now)
1password: $3.99/month
family Apple Music: $14.99/month

$300 per year just like that.

Reactions: bbeagle
Comment

Heineken

Suspended
Jan 27, 2018
Since most apps are castrated with subscriptions left and right I'm no longer buying apps. I'm paying 69 EUR for Apple Music (yearly) and 2,99 EUR a month for iCloud storage. That's it.

Comment

itsmilo

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2016
Europe
No shame. I only paid for one app and I returned it

Edit: nvm I bought AdGuard. Love it

Comment

now i see it

macrumors 601
Jan 2, 2002
All that spending on apps is undoubtedly from new iPhone users. Once you get the apps you want, you're pretty much set forever. iPhone hardware sales have plateaued due to an inevitable saturated market, and the App Store will follow suit. Just the nature of the beast.
Wonder if WWDC attendance will drop off too.

Comment

vertical smile

macrumors 601
Sep 23, 2014
$79 a year really isn't that surprising to me.

This is like $1.50 a week.... The tips I leave for a coffee stand are much more than this.

Are stuff like Netflix and Hulu included on this? If so, then $79 a years sounds too low.

Comment

Baymowe335

macrumors 603
Oct 6, 2017
:)No, I did not. In fact, not one cent on the Apps;).
Someone explain averages to this guy.

This also explains this poster's incredible lack of understanding of Apple because he views the world through his own anecdotal glasses.

Comment

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
That sounds high at first but if I look at my account I am double that.... :(

Edit: I am including the monthly/yearly subscriptions that go along with some of those apps in my total.

Comment

Baymowe335

macrumors 603
Oct 6, 2017
I suspect that average, especially the gaming part of the average is like the 80/20 rule, where 80% of the spending comes from 20% of the users.

It just averages out to $79 a year.
I'm not so sure about that, but his anecdotal experience is irrelevant, as usual.

Comment

spiddyman007

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2017

iPhone users in the United States spent an average of $79 on App Store games and apps in 2018 according to an upcoming Sensor Tower report shared today by TechCrunch.

At $79, the revenue generated per active U.S. iPhone grew 36 percent year over year, up from an average of $58 spent per iPhone in 2017. iPhone users spent about $21 more in 2018 on in-app purchases and paid downloads.

Much of the spending growth came from mobile gaming, with 56 percent of the $79 total average attributed to App Store games.

Spending was also up quite a lot in other categories such as entertainment, music, social networking, and health and fitness.

Sensor Tower believes that subscription apps are a contributing factor for the increased spending in many of these non-faming categories.

Apple's App Store is a major revenue driver for Apple in its services category, with app purchases continually setting new revenue records. The App Store hit a new single-day revenue record on New Year's Day, for example, with customers spending a whopping $322 million.

Over the holiday period including Christmas and New Year's Day, the App Store raked in more than $1.22 billion.

Article Link: Average U.S. iPhone User Spent $79 on Apps Last Year
Wow. How did they survey this. I really doubt people spent $80 on in app purchases unless it’s for like Spotify or fortnite

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.