Average U.S. iPhone User Spent $79 on Apps Last Year

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 11, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

iPhone users in the United States spent an average of $79 on App Store games and apps in 2018 according to an upcoming Sensor Tower report shared today by TechCrunch.

At $79, the revenue generated per active U.S. iPhone grew 36 percent year over year, up from an average of $58 spent per iPhone in 2017. iPhone users spent about $21 more in 2018 on in-app purchases and paid downloads.

[​IMG]

Much of the spending growth came from mobile gaming, with 56 percent of the $79 total average attributed to App Store games.

Spending was also up quite a lot in other categories such as entertainment, music, social networking, and health and fitness.

[​IMG]

Sensor Tower believes that subscription apps are a contributing factor for the increased spending in many of these non-faming categories.

Apple's App Store is a major revenue driver for Apple in its services category, with app purchases continually setting new revenue records. The App Store hit a new single-day revenue record on New Year's Day, for example, with customers spending a whopping $322 million.

Over the holiday period including Christmas and New Year's Day, the App Store raked in more than $1.22 billion.

Article Link: Average U.S. iPhone User Spent $79 on Apps Last Year

2. KPandian1 Suspended

:)No, I did not. In fact, not one cent on the Apps;).

3. Nate Weir macrumors newbie

There were approximately 95 million iPhone users across the US in 2018. Which equates to approximately 7.2 billion in sales. :eek:

4. rcooked macrumors regular

Interesting. My volume of purchases is down, as I pay for quality I will use. I also avoid subscriptions like the plague - my fear is more of a shift to this model.

Be interesting to watch.

5. joshwenke macrumors regular

joshwenke

I feel so proud that I've spent $0 on in-app purchases unless it was to support a developer I like. IAPs are becoming worse while big companies are making millions.

6. just.jon macrumors member

just.jon

If this doesn’t include Music and iCloud subscriptions, I don’t believe it.

7. bbeagle, Feb 11, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019

bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

Included in the averages are people who subscribed to Netflix through iTunes long ago. Those people are paying $12 x 12 = $144 a year on 'apps'.

I subscribe to Boomerang Cartoons for $39/year for the kids. Much cheaper than getting the channel through DirecTV.

I also subscribe to Beachbody On Demand for the wife. It's $99/year.

So, those put me at $138/year. I hardly buy any apps (maybe $5/year), but I skewed the result a lot with those subscriptions.

You also can't believe the number of times my daughter or son get a free app and in order to play it better/quicker/more levels, they want to spend $5-$10 on in-app purchases. I've declined every time. But I'm sure many parents just say 'yes' so the kid goes away.

8. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

I haven't spent $79 on app purchases on Apple or Google combined since both platforms had stores.
    Best guess is less than $20 in the last 10 years.
    I don't think my Office 360 or Adobe subscriptions really count as the phone apps are an included as an after thought. (I paid for those subs outside of the app store.)

9. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

I did spend on some Apps, which then I end up not using... I'm sticking with Free Apps from now on.

10. centauratlas macrumors 65816

centauratlas

I will buy good apps, but not subscriptions.

11. Abazigal macrumors G4

Abazigal

Apps purchased last year.

Apollo (paid full price outright)
    Tweetbot (biggest tip)
    Halide
    Grimvalor
    Launch centre pro (paid full price to unlock)
    1blockerX
    Linea
    HeartWatch
    Battleheart 2
    Streets
    Agenda

Am I pulling my weight enough?

12. pdaholic macrumors 65816

pdaholic

Just looked through my receipts, and I purchased 6 apps off the app store last year, all utility type apps. I regret every purchase except one, nPlayer Plus, which I have actually stopped using (but still think it's an awesome app).

13. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I guess it is pretty easy to do:

200gb iCloud storage: $2.99/month
    robokiller: $2.99/month (spam calls are the devil now)
    1password: $3.99/month
    family Apple Music: $14.99/month

$300 per year just like that.

14. Heineken macrumors 6502a

Heineken

Since most apps are castrated with subscriptions left and right I'm no longer buying apps. I'm paying 69 EUR for Apple Music (yearly) and 2,99 EUR a month for iCloud storage. That's it.

15. itsmilo macrumors 68020

itsmilo

No shame. I only paid for one app and I returned it

Edit: nvm I bought AdGuard. Love it

16. now i see it macrumors 68030

All that spending on apps is undoubtedly from new iPhone users. Once you get the apps you want, you're pretty much set forever. iPhone hardware sales have plateaued due to an inevitable saturated market, and the App Store will follow suit. Just the nature of the beast.
    Wonder if WWDC attendance will drop off too.

17. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

$79 a year really isn't that surprising to me.

This is like $1.50 a week.... The tips I leave for a coffee stand are much more than this.

Are stuff like Netflix and Hulu included on this? If so, then $79 a years sounds too low.

18. Baymowe335 macrumors 68040

Someone explain averages to this guy.

This also explains this poster's incredible lack of understanding of Apple because he views the world through his own anecdotal glasses.

19. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

I suspect that average, especially the gaming part of the average is like the 80/20 rule, where 80% of the spending comes from 20% of the users.

It just averages out to $79 a year.

20. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

That sounds high at first but if I look at my account I am double that.... :(

Edit: I am including the monthly/yearly subscriptions that go along with some of those apps in my total.

21. Baymowe335 macrumors 68040

I'm not so sure about that, but his anecdotal experience is irrelevant, as usual.

22. spiddyman007 macrumors regular

spiddyman007

Wow. How did they survey this. I really doubt people spent $80 on in app purchases unless it’s for like Spotify or fortnite

23. lunarworks macrumors 65816

I think I spent maybe $2 on apps last year.

24. ztw2002 macrumors regular