Average U.S. iPhone User Spent $79 on Apps Last Year

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 11, 2019 at 1:32 PM.

1. dewski macrumors 6502

wow that is insane. I haven't paid for an app in years. I would have never guessed.

2. myrtlebee macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

They're lucky if I spent $2 on apps last year.

3. ImAnAgent macrumors regular

ImAnAgent

I think I bought one app in the last 365 days, it cost $4.99. It was an app that records video but allows audio to be recorded using AirPods.

I also stay away from apps with IAP.

4. Foxglove9 macrumors 68000

Foxglove9

I probably spent about $50 buying new apps, and $25 for iTunes match. So that number sounds about right.

5. KPandian1, Feb 11, 2019 at 2:53 PM
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 3:03 PM

KPandian1 macrumors 65816

Stop being a dollar numbers fan! Statistics allows zero, in the extreme column.

The earnings that made Apple a trillion dollar company is fake-paper, market manipulated value. It is at a more sensible level (AAPL - $175)
    now.

Enron also showed wonderful figures - bigly numbers.

Apple is not a house of cards - unless every point is defended by ethereal monetary numbers - stock value.

Apple cannot survive as a services company - that is already established, via entities like Spotify. They are definitely not Microsoft - near zero hardware company, just has its toe in the pool with Surface.

The next iPhone better be a stunner - in features and value; so too the iPad!

6. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I believe I spent about $150 or so last year.

7. Baymowe335 macrumors 68040

LOL!! This guy comparing fake earnings of Enron to real cash earnings from Apple.

Unless you think Apple is cooking the books? Then I'll just chalk you up to a conspiracy theorist that has to be ignored. You CAN'T think that, right? You do realize Apple made $60B in profit in 2018...or DID THEY???!?!

At $1T, Apple traded at <18X trailing earnings. The average S&P500 company is 22X earnings, STILL more expensive than AAPL. Back out their cash and Apple traded at around 15X earnings....still an incredibly cheap stock.

Enron was cooking the books, using insane accounting, executives went to jail, and was one of the biggest house of cards companies ever to exist.

No clue what has "established" Apple as not being able to survive as a services company.

Just overall a hilarious take with no facts.

8. femike macrumors 6502

$0 here as well.
    And I will not pay for subscriptions.

9. Baymowe335 macrumors 68040

That'll show 'em!

10. Martyimac macrumors 68000

Martyimac

$0 here and I hate subscriptions so none of those either.

11. AppleZilla macrumors member

Average U.S. Android User Spent 79 hours complaining about the outrageous price of 99 cent Apps Last Year

12. AppleHaterLover macrumors 65816

I have a theory that Netflix, Amazon Prime and Spotify have like 5 subscriptions tops and the rest of humanity is using their roommate's account.

13. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

14. AppleHaterLover macrumors 65816

I'd say I spent $0 on the App Store last year except for a prank call app which I admit I spent waaaaaaaaaaaay more money than I should on.

15. KPandian1, Feb 11, 2019 at 3:34 PM
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 3:52 PM

KPandian1 macrumors 65816

Read my posts again, properly. This last one clearly states that Apple is NOT a house of cards. Yet. It is NOT cooking its books.

Yeah, $20 in a quarter, we all know that, as you constantly post. Mostly from iPhone sales.

Relying on services for income is precarious; especially when the company's major reputation is from hardware. All the software that Apple puts out are highly regarded because they blend well with its hardware.

Apple has to prove itself in the independent software business, i.e., Apple is not yet a Microsoft. (and, vice-versa).

Apple's service sector is easy to cancel, not so Microsoft's products.

Apple's hardware is tough to quit - unless they push the limits, like it is doing now. Remember, in the 1990's people did quit Apple.

After the last Mac products' release, the loyal Apple fans are questioning!

16. Justanotherfanboy macrumors regular

Justanotherfanboy

I bought a car that can function using only regular gas... & will continue to run if I give it oil changes only every 5,000 miles.
    I know average users of this car change oil every 3,000 miles and some run more quality gasoline.
    Some put in aftermarket stereos to enjoy better sound. Some tint the windows to decrease glare. Some occasionally run theirs through a car wash to look optimal.
    I do NONE of those things & proudly wanted to crow about how I spend way less than the average user, and have a lesser experience!!!! =)

Sounds really bizarre when you switch it up to a different product, yeah?

This is literally what I hear in my head when I read all these “boastful” comments by people that will endure ads in their apps, etc. because they’re too cheap to give a developer 99¢ for a quality app that they love.

17. Gherkin macrumors 6502a

I can't remember the last time I bought an app.

I wonder if people who are less tech savvy tend to buy more apps? You might find something interesting on the app store and won't necessarily know about free alternatives (that are sometimes better).

18. ImAnAgent macrumors regular

ImAnAgent

I don't even look at the app store on my iPhone. It's been since 2009 or so since I last browsed the app store looking for cool apps.

Any time I get a new iPhone, i sync my previous phones backup to it and that loads all the same apps that I used on the previous phone. 90% of those were free, a few had $.99 charge to remove ads such as Speedtest and 1 or two cost an upfront cost to buy.

The rest of the apps that want a subscription or yearly charge to continue using it's services are a no go for me. I don't need them when free apps can do the same or the phone itself provides the functionality.

I only had a two year Netflix sub because I got two free years from buying an S7 Edge. Once that ran out, I cancelled. I can't stand the movies and I never was interested in the TV shows.

19. tridley68 macrumors 6502a

tridley68

No App purchases from me this year or last year.

20. decypher44 macrumors 6502

decypher44

21. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

Didn't think the average would be that high. I didn't spend any money on iPhone apps last year.

22. B4U macrumors 68000

B4U

I remember I had a discussion about the iPhone X price with my game pal and she was deciding whether to get the X or not.
    My punchline to her: You spend more than the price of the X each month for your game's in-app purchases, girl.
    That was the end of the discussion and she is a happy iPhone X user since.

23. KPandian1 macrumors 65816

Wow! Is that the full price or divided into 24/36month range of the iPhone X cost:eek:?

Is she single?;)o_O

24. B4U macrumors 68000

B4U

FULL PRICE each bloody month! (Guess she is helping to drag up the average spending)
    Well, she is not married for sure.

25. KPandian1 macrumors 65816

We all contribute - here from opposite ends!:D

Ha ha:p!