Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OLDGUYWITHAHIFI

Suspended
Nov 14, 2018
That's so cool. I've never looked at a phone under a microscope.

Makes me wonder if the phones made these days are lacking in quality control, or are more people becoming picky and obsessed to the point where they feel the need to inspect the phones under a bright light with a microscope.
[doublepost=1542707990][/doublepost]
But they’re not new

I have been told on multiple occasions the white box phones are new phones specifically used as replacements. New phone, plain box, no accessories.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I have been told on multiple occasions the white box phones are new phones specifically used as replacements. New phone, plain box, no accessories.

You’re misinformed. They are not new devices in most cases, those associates that are telling you that they are new, shouldn’t be specifically saying this, because they don’t even know the probability of the device is new or not. The fact is, you do receive a new battery, casing and display. The logic board would be the main component used.

Reactions: ATC

OLDGUYWITHAHIFI

Suspended
Nov 14, 2018
You’re misinformed. They are not new devices in most cases, those associates that are telling you that they are new, shouldn’t be specifically saying this, because they don’t even know the probability of the device is new or not. The fact is, you do receive a new battery, casing and display. The logic board would be the main component used.

And you know this how? I usually like to educate myself with verifiable information rather than assumptions. So multiple employees at multiple stores were lying to me...

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
And you know this how? I usually like to educate myself with verifiable information rather than assumptions. So multiple employees at multiple stores were lying to me...

You don’t understand. Employees simply are telling you exactly what they believe, that it is new, and in some respects, they are correct, because it does include a new display, casing and battery. But that does not mean the device itself is not brand new every single time with a refurbished device. I’m not interested in discussing if employees are lying to you or not, because that’s not their intention, however, if you research anywhere on multiple forums, you can educate yourself more on the fact that that’s how white box replacements are intended . I can also suggest you contact AppleCare directly on the phone, which would supersede any entry-level store associate on what I’m verifying.

Reactions: ipodssss

OLDGUYWITHAHIFI

Suspended
Nov 14, 2018
You don’t understand. Employees simply are telling you exactly what they believe, that it is new, and in some respects, they are correct, because it does include a new display, casing and battery. But that does not mean the device itself is not brand new every single time with a refurbished device. I’m not interested in discussing if employees are lying to you or not, because that’s not their intention, however, if you research anywhere on multiple forums, you can educate yourself more on the fact that that’s how white box replacements are intended . I can also suggest you contact AppleCare directly on the phone, which would supersede any entry-level store associate on what I’m verifying.

I HAVE obtained information from various forums on various sites. It is no different here than it is anywhere else. There are a lot of people out there with very strong OPINIONS. Some like to declare themselves an expert on matters even with no expertise. Believe what you like.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I HAVE obtained information from various forums on various sites.

Ok? Again, no one is contesting to what you want to believe, it’s just been proven to you that what you’re saying is logical fallacy, and if someone corrected based on how Apples refurbished process operates based off your views is somewhat skewed, there is no need to be pedantic when your post is scrutinized over what you posted was somewhat inaccurate. It was thoroughly explained. Again, thanks for the discussion.

killhippie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2016
UK
I HAVE obtained information from various forums on various sites. It is no different here than it is anywhere else. There are a lot of people out there with very strong OPINIONS. Some like to declare themselves an expert on matters even with no expertise. Believe what you like.
At the beginning you may well get a new unit as there may be not enough devices returned to offer a refurb, it will still come in a white box genrally, but as time goes on and devices get sent back you will end up with a refurb which is as good a a new phone. This has always been Apples policy and for all intent and purpose it is a new phone but as said some parts like the motherboard may be from previous units but the parts are tested very thoroughly, this is well known and has been for years. I suggest you do some more research.

Reactions: ipodssss

OLDGUYWITHAHIFI

Suspended
Nov 14, 2018
Ok? Again, no one is contesting to what you want to believe, it’s just been proven to you that what you’re saying is logical fallacy, and if someone corrected based on how Apples refurbished process operates based off your views is somewhat skewed, there is no need to be pedantic when your post is scrutinized
Over what you posted was somewhat inaccurate. It was thoroughly explained. Again, thanks for the discussion.

Proof has been presented to me in the form of opinions. Opinions are useless information. Everyone has one.

My issue is not that my posts have been scrutinized, my issue is that you have attempted to educate me based on your opinion and assumptions based on information provided by forums, internet searches, and hearsay.

I concede if I were to replace a phone in South Korea in years past it would have been a refurbished unit. So far the only proof we have to disprove the information I have been provided by the source of our discussion (Apple), is a random news article found on the internet.

I guess my biggest flaw is I don't believe everything I read on the internet, and conversely, I tend to put too much weight in information provided to me by a business' employees over a long period of time. Interesting discussion. Thanks.

OLDGUYWITHAHIFI

Suspended
Nov 14, 2018

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
So when I take a phone into an Apple store for repair or replacement and they present a white box, I am engaging in their "Express Replacement" Service offered under AppleCare Plus?

Correct. They can either issue a white box replacement in store or they can ship it directly to your residence within two business days. If you have AppleCare Plus, they don’t charge you the $30 express fee, without AppleCare Plus, they charge you the $30. But as that other member mentioned above, that’s verbatim direct from Apple that the device is equivalent to a new or can be new, which is what I mentioned to you in at least three posts based on their refurbished process.

Reactions: killhippie

killhippie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2016
UK
So when I take a phone into an Apple store for repair or replacement and they present a white box, I am engaging in their "Express Replacement" Service offered under AppleCare Plus?
Yes because if they cant fix your phone they replace it on the spot with a white box unit that may be a refurbished unit. Once out of the 14 day return period you do not get a brand new retail box unit unless there is some very special reason, it does happen I imagine from time to time, but normally once refurbished phones are in the system you get one of them, and honestly you would not be able to tell the difference.

OLDGUYWITHAHIFI

Suspended
Nov 14, 2018
Yes because if they cant fix your phone they replace it on the spot with a white box unit that may be a refurbished unit. Once out of the 14 day return period you do not get a brand new retail box unit unless there is some very special reason, it does happen I imagine from time to time, but normally once refurbished phones are in the system you get one of them, and honestly you would not be able to tell the difference.

And how do we know this? Over the years on multiple occasions I have been told by Apple employees the replacement phone I was given was new.

Now for some reason on this forum everyone want to keep giving me their opinion on the matter and tell me I am wrong. When I ask for confirmation or an explanation, the answer everyone keeps giving me is "Because everyone knows this". Then I ask "How do we know the units are refurbished", and the answer given is "Because they are, but some could be new, but they are most likely not".... But you wouldn't be able to tell.

If feel like a little kid in the twilight zone having to keep asking why.

areyes163

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
And how do we know this? Over the years on multiple occasions I have been told by Apple employees the replacement phone I was given was new.

Now for some reason on this forum everyone want to keep giving me their opinion on the matter and tell me I am wrong. When I ask for confirmation or an explanation, the answer everyone keeps giving me is "Because everyone knows this". Then I ask "How do we know the units are refurbished", and the answer given is "Because they are, but some could be new, but they are most likely not".... But you wouldn't be able to tell.

If feel like a little kid in the twilight zone having to keep asking why.

Honestly I don’t see how it can’t be more clear. You have been presented with the link to apples own page. Apple will not give you a new device when they have refurbished ones on hand. It’s simple business. They take it returns of defective models. Strip the parts and use what they can. They are then housed in a new casing with a new battery and given out as refurbished devices.

In some instances you may receive a new device. Like if your within the 14 day window or if they have no more refurbished devices to hand out. But they almost always have refurbished devices. Look at the model number on your replacement. I believe the model numbers of refurbished devices are different as well. But I forgot what it is. Maybe starts with a N or something.

The refurbished basically are new as they are pieced back together. Still don’t believe me or others just re read the link posted already. It’s pretty clear.

Reactions: killhippie

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Incorrect. Apple is not obligated to replace an iPhone with the new unit after the 14th day. They can issue a warranty device, which essentially is like a new device that is completely inspected and most customers have no idea the difference between that and a refurbished device. As a matter fact, it’s *less* likely that Apple refurbished devices would have any issues considering a new device that has not been as heavily inspected and tested as a replacement device.

I know this. It’s the other guy thinking Apple should replace with a new device when they aren’t obligated too. OP kept it past the 14day return period so it’s his fault.
[doublepost=1542724857][/doublepost]
Why should they give you a refurb phone when they have sold you a defective one, if people wanted a refurb phone they could go and buy one at a discounted price

So it’s Apples fault the OP kept it past the 14day return period?

cclitas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2018
UPDATE:

Yesterday i went to my genius appointment at the Apple Store Colón in Valencia (SPAIN).
I told my problem to the support employee and even before he saw my phone it started saying that they were not responsible for that because my phone was bought in Vodafone (despite i have 1year guarranty directly with apple no matter what).

When i showed him these three issues he denied them because in his opinion they were just normal and they were not going to give me a replacement because i would find failures in any device :mad:. Then, he asked the manager to come and join the discussion and from that moment both started telling nonsense arguments and treating me like i was crazy, blind or stupid.

- About the back damaged edge they claim it was normal and i can't be watching my phone in that close up level because all the iphone have these kind of problems (1st lie). They denied my pictures and my chat conversation with apple support in which another apple "advisor" admitted it wasn't normal. They said that this advisor couldn't know if my pictures were from my device.

- About the tiny chip they said that it could be because of transportation issues because my box have a little dent (and aparently this dent cause a damage in the steel bezel :eek:)

- And about the gap between the front bezel and the screen they said it was normal. According to them the gasket is behind the screen and there was no problem with water protection. Also told me that the phone is only water splash resistant not IP68 :D!!!! and i don't have to inmerse it in water.
I only want them to admit that my phone in those conditions were able to resist water and i encouraged them to bring me a glass of water and inmerse it in front of them. They refuse and claim that the warranty do not cover water damages (what i know for sure).

To sum up, they denied everything, treat me like i was crazy and refused to give me a replacement. I asked for a complaint form and came home (100km back) with my ****** iphone. End of the story.

-------------------------------Do not go to Apple Store Valencia-------------------------------

treyhunnid

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2018
UPDATE:

Yesterday i went to my genius appointment at the Apple Store Colón in Valencia (SPAIN).
I told my problem to the support employee and even before he saw my phone it started saying that they were not responsible for that because my phone was bought in Vodafone (despite i have 1year guarranty directly with apple no matter what).

When i showed him these three issues he denied them because in his opinion they were just normal and they were not going to give me a replacement because i would find failures in any device :mad:. Then, he asked the manager to come and join the discussion and from that moment both started telling nonsense arguments and treating me like i was crazy, blind or stupid.

- About the back damaged edge they claim it was normal and i can't be watching my phone in that close up level because all the iphone have these kind of problems (1st lie). They denied my pictures and my chat conversation with apple support in which another apple "advisor" admitted it wasn't normal. They said that this advisor couldn't know if my pictures were from my device.

- About the tiny chip they said that it could be because of transportation issues because my box have a little dent (and aparently this dent cause a damage in the steel bezel :eek:)

- And about the gap between the front bezel and the screen they said it was normal. According to them the gasket is behind the screen and there was no problem with water protection. Also told me that the phone is only water splash resistant not IP68 :D!!!! and i don't have to inmerse it in water.
I only want them to admit that my phone in those conditions were able to resist water and i encouraged them to bring me a glass of water and inmerse it in front of them. They refuse and claim that the warranty do not cover water damages (what i know for sure).

To sum up, they denied everything, treat me like i was crazy and refused to give me a replacement. I asked for a complaint form and came home (100km back) with my ****** iphone. End of the story.

-------------------------------Do not go to Apple Store Valencia-------------------------------
that sucks, but yea u are bring up microscopic issues. my thoughts would be to elevate this via apple support online. show them your findings and see if they will warrant service. its a 1k phone.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
This early on in the cycle, chances are the service parts are still new - it normally takes a good few months for actual refurbs to filter through to stores (i.e. back in the day when you could actually tell whether a service part was new/used, for a September launch we'd use to start getting actual refurbs in the new year).

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
Well if you ask me, i bought an iphone 8 last month and the battery was completely dead, yes, the phone turned on once but that was all.

yes i got a replacement next day but the whole buying experience was horrible...

First the way the "geniuses" treat the customer like you were their young brother or something like that (idiots). Then the manager telling me brand new iphones with empty battery were "normal". Then the expectancy for the new replacement...HORRIBLE BUYING EXPERIENCE.

Reactions: iSilas

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada

I agree with this. Based on all my experiences with AC+ swaps over the years. I've always been told by Apple reps (in person and via phone) that the white box replacements are "like new" not new. I've only had one rep in store once tell me they're new but later he backed down and admitted that they're like new.

I've had some white box replacements over the years (especially during iPhone 5 and 6 eras) where they were horrendous quality with visible cosmetic defects. Apple was good about it, usually apologizing and replacing them. I've been told the units in white boxes are inspected and "should" be cosmetic defect free but they're inspected by people and as we know even from these forums, there are degrees of what is acceptable and not when it comes to cosmetic issues. In any case, this why I always tell people if you're within 14 days of purchase, NEVER replace the unit with a white box replacement - always return and repurchase. Outside 14 days, you're on your own.

Reactions: 44267547

ThatiPhoneKid

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2017
If defective the owner should have returned it before the 14 day period end.

After 14 days it is a refurb.

All of this is CLEARLY spelled out in the warranty.

I understand it’s clearly shown in the warranty, I still think it’s wrong.
[doublepost=1542749839][/doublepost]
I know this. It’s the other guy thinking Apple should replace with a new device when they aren’t obligated too. OP kept it past the 14day return period so it’s his fault.
[doublepost=1542724857][/doublepost]

So it’s Apples fault the OP kept it past the 14day return period?

It’s apples fault he has a defective device.

Reactions: iSilas
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.