B&O Play Unveils Beoplay E8, the Danish Brand's First Truly Wireless Earbuds

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Bang & Olufsen today unveiled a pair of $299 truly wireless earbuds called Beoplay E8, the Danish company's pricier luxury alternative to Apple's $159 AirPods.

The E8 Bluetooth in-ear headphones are a mixture of aluminum and polymer, making them splash and dust-proof, while each earpiece features a touch surface that supports fingertip gestures to play/pause music, take calls (a mic is integrated into the buds), and change volume.

There's also voice recognition support for activating virtual assistants like Siri, as well as a Transparency Mode that lets environmental sounds in for safer commuting. There's also a built-in digital signal processor that enables custom output tuning with equalization and gain.

The buds provide up to 4 hours of play time at a moderate sound level, while the included leather charging case supplies two additional charges to give users up to 12 hours of listening time on the go. For reference, AirPods offer up to 5 hours' play time and Apple's charging case carries up to 24 hours' charge.

Four pairs of different-sized silicon tips are included along with a USB charging cable (USB-A to MicroUSB). The Beoplay E8 wireless buds are available in black and charcoal sand colors, and will be available from the company's website from October.

Article Link: B&O Play Unveils Beoplay E8, the Danish Brand's First Truly Wireless Earbuds

x-evil-x

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2008
id much much rather have these the apple ones. 4 hours isn't bad if these are just gym/activity few hour a day earbuds. My jaybird freedom last about 3hours on a charge 3 hours on the separate charging clip. I just pop it on everyday after I leave the gym

Reactions: H3LL5P4WN

SamRyouji

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2016
I don't think that company makes laptops for instance. Or tablets, or ,......
Oh, the one that keeps a very high profit margin for every products they made.

Well, on a side note: buy what you want and love if you got the money. If you have a rather limited budget, either save or do some research before splurge your $.

Not sure I get your point? We're talking about headphones aren't we?
To keep this on topic: well, for audio, sound preferences differs for almost every single person on this planet. Some like more bass, some like more clarity, some like balance, etc.
I, for one will pick beats over airpod anytime just for the fit to my slighty abnormally shaped ears and more bass.

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
Nothing can beat Bose QC35’s noise cancelling headphones. The ANR is truly amazing. Can’t hear anything on a plane and the sound quality is amazing. Too many people knock Bose.
Glad you like them, but personally I'd purchase the MDR-1000X or even the AKG N60NC over the Bose. The Sony has better NC and AKG a warmer sound/better bass. Sound is very subjective though, so each to their own on that one.
[doublepost=1504177821][/doublepost]
Oh, the one that keeps a very high profit margin for every products they made.

Well, on a side note: buy what you want and love if you got the money. If you have a rather limited budget, either save or do some research before splurge your $.

To keep this on topic: well, for audio, sound preferences differs for almost every single person on this planet. Some like more bass, some like more clarity, some like balance, etc.
I, for one will pick beats over airpod anytime just for the fit to my slighty abnormally shaped ears and more bass.
Same, I prefer a warmer sound with more bass, that's why I have my B&W P7 Wireless for home

scottishwildcat

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2007
Overrated brand. Sounds great
Then they're not overrated, as that's their entire raison d'être. Overpriced, one might argue, but that's a separate issue. (I picked up a pair of H2's half price last year in Amazon's Black Friday sale, and they do, indeed, sound great.)

NecroKill

Suspended
Aug 2, 2017
Then they're not overrated, as that's their entire raison d'être. Overpriced, one might argue, but that's a separate issue -- got a pair of H2's half price last year in Amazon's Black Friday sale, and I love them.
Here in Denmark i get a different impression.

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
I might try these to be honest, just out of curiosity. I tried the H5 and even though they were a too bright for my liking (even after putting the warmest setting on the app) and the fit was awful for me (kept falling out my ears), I'm still intrigued...

andy89

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2005
Kent, England
Nothing can beat Bose QC35’s noise cancelling headphones. The ANR is truly amazing. Can’t hear anything on a plane and the sound quality is amazing. Too many people knock Bose.
To be fair, most of their products are garbage. You'll have to pry my QC15 from my cold dead hands though.

RamGuy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
Norway
If you prefer a warm sound signature, you don't go with B&O. They aim for a flat / natural sound, not warm. There are a few exceptions like BeoPlay H8 which feature a warmer sound signature.

I love and prefer flat and spacious sound. That's why I have the Sennheiser HD800 at home and prefer B&O BeoPlay H7 as wireless headphones (I also own Bose QC35 (my preferred ones for plane rides due to ANC), BeoPlay H8 and H9) and I prefer the H7 because they have the most flat sound signature with the most spacious, crisp and clear sound stage of them all. Nowhere close to the HD800, but you won't get HD800 quality on closed-back headphones.

With all that said I'm also impressed with the AirPod's. They don't have that same feel of spacious, crisp and wide-soundstage as open-back headphones but as earbuds/IEM's they do a great job. The audio signature, although a tad bit warm is also really impressive. They are leaps and beyond better than the regular EarPod's and gives my expensive Shure SE846 a good run for their money but there is zero isolation.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2011
New England
Agreed. I just picked up the QC30. Not much to compete against, as they are literally the only bluetooth earbuds with ANC (for now). They sound great and make my train commute so much better. I tried the QC35 in the store and loved them. Loved the QC25 before that too.

I get why people knock Bose in the home theater space - there are tons of options and Bose charges way too much for a setup with too few features. But in the personal audio space, when active noise cancellation is desired, nobody even comes close. The fact that Sony and Sennheiser just released their first ANC headphones that might sort of compete with Bose, after Bose has been doing it for over a decade, is telling.

Glad you like them, but personally I'd purchase the MDR-1000X or even the AKG N60NC over the Bose. The Sony has better NC and AKG a warmer sound/better bass. Sound is very subjective though, so each to their own on that one.
I personally try to avoid buying first-generation implementations of something. I certainly welcome competition to the ANC headphone space, but this is Sony's first attempt at good ANC (on the level of Bose), while Bose has been doing it for a looong time. On that alone, I buy from Bose if ANC is the key feature I want.

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
Agreed. I just picked up the QC30. Not much to compete against, as they are literally the only bluetooth earbuds with ANC (for now). They sound great and make my train commute so much better. I tried the QC35 in the store and loved them. Loved the QC25 before that too.

I get why people knock Bose in the home theater space - there are tons of options and Bose charges way too much for a setup with too few features. But in the personal audio space, when active noise cancellation is desired, nobody even comes close. The fact that Sony and Sennheiser just released their first ANC headphones that might sort of compete with Bose, after Bose has been doing it for over a decade, is telling.

I personally try to avoid buying first-generation implementations of something. I certainly welcome competition to the ANC headphone space, but this is Sony's first attempt at good ANC (on the level of Bose), while Bose has been doing it for a looong time. On that alone, I buy from Bose if ANC is the key feature I want.
I agree, that's why I never purchased a pair, but Sony have just announced the v2 of the MDR-1000X, so may take a second look...

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
Not enough people knock Bose, you mean. I'll take a $20 pair of Sony's over Bose, any day. At least then I know I'll have paid a reasonable amount for a logo slapped on top of cheaply made internals.
[doublepost=1504182465][/doublepost]
I like listening to music. I don't like listening to music "through a towel." ~Lemmy Kilmister