Babymetal

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ProjectManager101, Feb 15, 2016.

1. ProjectManager101 Suspended

ProjectManager101

I just can't stop watching this... the data plan in my iPhone is 75% gone by just watching this video. Is addictive. I like their dress, the colors, the choreography and I am not a metal person.

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

3. ThisBougieLife macrumors 65816

ThisBougieLife

Babymetal is awesome. lol

This is my favorite of their songs, could listen all day:

:D

4. ProjectManager101 thread starter Suspended

ProjectManager101

Legal for what?

5. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

I couldn't stop watching it ...

... fast enough.

6. sim667 macrumors 65816

Hardly a suitable comment to make, don't you think?
    --- Post Merged, Feb 16, 2016 ---
    Typical male attitude, see girls, ask if they're legal..... its horribly sexist.

7. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Well, if someone (of either sex or gender) is going to dress and dance in a manner that is clearly provocative, some people are concerned about whether that person is legally of age to have such provocative appearance and moves appreciated in the manner in which they're presented. I, for one, would feel ookie if I watched a titillating performance by a girl then learned that she was underaged.

If you don't want to be seen and/or admired in a sexual manner, then don't present yourself to the world in a sexual fashion. Advice that goes for people of any sex or gender.

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, the precocious sexualisation of kids - and young teenagers - and the extraordinary pressures on kids to simulate the appearance of sexual awareness is something that I have massive reservations about.

Ah, @Tomorrow - with impressionable kids, it is not just a question of 'presenting yourself to the world in a sexual fashion'. Very often, there are subtle - and not so subtle pressures on you to do so - and there may be adults in your life, authority figures, revered role models, parents, and so on who put pressure on you to do so.

9. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

BabyMetal is definitely legit.

Su-Metal, Moa-Metal and Yui-Metal started out in a J-pop group, and the manager of that group, Kobayashi (Koba-Metal) is a HUGE metalhead, (and metal is HUGE in Japan). He had the idea of fusing J-pop and Metal, and came up with this.

Background on their system. Girl-groups are put together when they are young, and by the time they graduate from middle school, they are too old to stay in that group. When BabyMetal started, Su-Metal was 14, and just graduated from middle school. Moa-Metal and Yui-Metal were 12, and still in that girl group and doing BabyMetal at the same time. BabyMetal just got huge to where they can do that full time.

If you think Gimme Chocolate is crazy, you should see them perform Death. For those not in the know, that song is a play on words. There is no true 'th' sound in Japan, as it is replaced by the 's' sound. So it sounds like 'Des'. However, Des is a word in Japan, meaning 'I am'. So the entire time when they are singing "Death" they are really singing "I am". So the lyrics are simple:

B A B Y M E T A L (spelling the name of the band)
    Des! Des! Des! Su-Metal Des (I am, I am, I am, I am Su-Metal)
    Des! Des! Des! Yui-Metal Des (I am, I am, I am, I am Yui-Metal)
    Des! Des! Des! Moa-Metal Des (I am, I am, I am, I am Moa-Metal)
    Des! Des! Des! Baby Metal Des (I am, I am, I am, We Are BabyMetal)

Like I said, play on words. In fact, here you go.

However, the Kami God band behind them is TIGHT. Nice instrumental from them. And keep in mind that this isn't their day job, as each one of them is in their own separate band as well.

Here's Mischief of the Metal Gods.

As far as 'being legal', these young ladies are well protected. And besides, when they're out on tour, well everyone knows how tight knit the metal community is. They are well looked after, and that's even by bands like Slipknot, 5DP, etc. Would you want one of them confronting them if you step up to these girls? Trust me, they're well protected.

BL.

10. ProjectManager101 thread starter Suspended

ProjectManager101

I am not male. lol

11. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I was referring to are they of a suitable age to be prancing around like that! I have a 20 year old son and an 11 year old daughter. 'Kids' are most defiantly not my thing!!

12. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Keep in mind that their act comes with the knowledge of what is popular in Japan and the world of J-Pop.

Here's a good litmus test. Head out to an Anime convention, and see how some of the kids are dressed. Then revisit BabyMetal. You'll find yourself enlightened.

BL.

13. ProjectManager101 thread starter Suspended

ProjectManager101

Here is a video of Yui Metal, one of the girls... I am amazed how educated and simple they are. Being Babymetal is just a thing they do.

14. mobilehaathi, Feb 17, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2016

mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Japanese Idol culture....their image is very carefully crafted.

15. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

So of course, when their first album came out the Fine Brothers caught hold of this, and made it part of their "YouTubers React" series. That's how BabyMetal really started to catch on:

So of course, 2 years later, BabyMetal gets their chance to respond, in "BabyMetal Reacts to 'YouTubers React to BabyMetal'". Enjoy!

BL.

16. ThisBougieLife macrumors 65816

ThisBougieLife

17. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

I'm sick and tired of these comments like this one. All members are 16 or 18 years old. How is that "children"? And how exactly do you get to decide that this is hypersexual? I don't, I think this is much less sexual than any other American music video. They're dressed much more appropriately unlike American stars, which, although often much older, barely wear any clothes at all (seriously, what the f*ck is the problem with people? upset over 16-years old casually dancing wearing not very exposed clothes, but not upset over a 23-year old woman who is naked on a wrecking ball??).

And may I remind you that once you're 12-13 or so, you're no longer a child. Liking someone who's 13 does not make you a pedophile, because THEY ARE NO LONGER CHILDREN as they have passed puberty (in most cases, at least). And as a final note, I'd like to remind you that the age of consent is 13 in Japan, so not only are those artists much older than the minimum age in order to be socially permitted to be sexually exposed, they aren't even showing any signs of sexualisation. They're just considered "cute". And yes, sexualisation of ACTUAL children is a problem, but this is not what we're talking about (and I'm not exactly sure how much of a problem it is in Japan, I'll have to research on that).

People on this planet are ****ing annoying.

18. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

No one made a comparison with US pop culture. As you point out, the same criticisms can be made there too.

19. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Read my second post and get off your high horse!

20. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

You're right. I believe the term is "hebephile." It's still illegal.

21. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

I apologise for directing it to you. I meant to direct my message to everyone who posted on here.

22. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Which includes Gav2k....

23. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

It's fine. I guess I'm old ;)

24. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

Yes, I was referring to everyone who made a similar post to his.

And I have read his second post, my point still applies.