Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipottersmith

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2016
The back of my AWS fell off today-- it's still connected via the ribbon cable, which is unplugged.
After a bunch of googling I can't find any repair guides for this specific problem, and I can't afford the $200 repair fee Apple wants to charge me (I'm out of warranty). Can anyone help point me in the right direction to a repair guide or an affordable repair service?

Last edited:

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Glue it back on if it's still functional. Just be sure to treat it like iPhone, i.e., never get it wet.

Did you by any chance purchase it using a major credit card that offers extended warranty? If so, you can file a claim to get reimbursed the $199.

Last edited:

ipottersmith

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2016
Glue it back on if it's still functional. Just be sure to treat it like iPhone, i.e., never get it wet.

Did you buy any chance purchase it using a major credit card that offers extended warranty? If so, you can file a claim to get reimbursed the $199.
Thanks for the response! Unfortunately I did not use a credit card, but that's a very good thought. Superglue would work, but I want to avoid that route if possible, given that I work with water and paint all day. Hmm.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
curious if you shower/swim with it or exercise with it regularly?

ipottersmith

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2016
curious if you shower/swim with it or exercise with it regularly?
I only get it wet when I was my hands, although there have been a couple times (not recently) that it's gotten paint on it and I needed to wash it off. I don't exercise, but my job causes me to sweat a lot when I wear it.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I only get it wet when I was my hands, although there have been a couple times (not recently) that it's gotten paint on it and I needed to wash it off. I don't exercise, but my job causes me to sweat a lot when I wear it.

I seriously doubt that's the culprit. Members have reported the back coming off their AWs even if they baby it and have never gotten it wet/exercised with it.

That's why it's a good idea to do a "water stress test" after buying an AW while still in the return period. Simply immerse it in a glass of water for 20 minutes or so. It'll reveal whether or not the glue holding the back or elsewhere is defective in the first place.

ipottersmith

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2016
I seriously doubt that's the culprit. Members have reported the back coming off their AWs even if they baby it and have never gotten it wet/exercised with it.

That's why it's a good idea to do a "water stress test" after buying an AW while still in the return period. Simply immerse it in a glass of water for 20 minutes or so. It'll reveal whether or not the glue holding the back or elsewhere is defective in the first place.
Hindsight is 20/20, so they say. I definitely don't think my usage caused it to come apart.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
You will not be able to glue it back with there same type of adhesive and in the same manor/specifications as it was manufactured. So you will have to be cautious of getting it too wet or sweaty from now on since it will likely not be as well sealed (as Jay stated). In time ALL :apple:Watches will eventually fail since glue naturally crystallizes over time. Heat is a big enemy to glue. Did you work in a hot environment? Of course it really does't necessarily mean this is a cause since Apple makes millions of them and a lot in absolute numbers will always fail. Just bad luck of the cards. Also the batteries won't last more than a couple of years of use too.

The :apple:Watch is just a water tight electronic device/gadget and not built or meant to last like an heirloom watch.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I would still check with Apple to see if they would repair or replace out of warranty. No way the glue should fail like this and many backs fell off right after purchase so Apple knows it had a problem.
Exactly, the worse thing they can do is say no. Warranty or not, there's NO way I would be gluing the back on. Try calling AppleCare and then the store. Sometimes calling is better.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

ipottersmith

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2016
Alright! I reached back out to apple and pleaded my case once more. They ended up covering the repair cost when I insisted it was a manufacturer defect, and that I treated it with nothing but the utmost care (which is true). Yay! Apple's customer service is top notch. Thanks for your help everyone :)

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
The back of my AWS fell off today-- it's still connected via the ribbon cable, which is unplugged.
After a bunch of googling I can't find any repair guides for this specific problem, and I can't afford the $200 repair fee Apple wants to charge me (I'm out of warranty). Can anyone help point me in the right direction to a repair guide or an affordable repair service?
Which country are you located in? Even if your limited Apple warranty may have run out, you may have statutory rights or consumer guarantees in your country that extend the warranty for much longer than just the standard Apple warranty duration. Through normal use, and where you have not caused the fault through mistreatment of the device, the back shouldn't come off and that's clearly something Apple would need to correct at its own cost. Exercise your consumer rights.

versifiercsvt

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2014

I have SS 38 model and same thing happened to me last week. It was still usable. I finally got the time to see a Genius at the Apple store on Sunday the 17th. I don't have AppleCare and watch was out of warranty. Luckily it was still covered due to it being on a list of known defects. Can't find this online anywhere if you try. Watch was sent out for service. I got an email last night that they're sending me a replacement. It may be a refurb but I'm just glad they took care of it at no cost.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.