Back to Iphone after 6 years on Android

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tom504, Jan 28, 2016.

1. tom504 macrumors regular

tom504

Just wanted to say hello. I was tired of the small screen on the iphone, either a 3gs or 4, and went to Android and have gone through a lot of Android phones during that time. I got fed up with my Samsung Galaxy s6 edge's performance, battery and misc other quirks and bought out the remaining contract from at&t and got a 6s+.

So far an very impressed with the functionality and screen size. Also impressed with wallet integration with my bank and even get messages when the debit card is used. I have had an Ipad since they have been out and using an Air 2 so I was never to far for the ecosystem.

I do miss being able to text message via Mightytext from my Windows 10 laptop but it's a minor adjustment.

I also kept my huawei watch and the functionality is good enough on the 6s+. I was only using it for incoming data anyway and I get most of that.

2. Chatter macrumors 6502a

Glad you are happy.
    As for Mighty Text, I totally understand and I dont know of any workaround. Apple has its similar iMessage functionality but only with Mac. Hopefully its not too much of a pain for ya.

3. tbgreen89 macrumors newbie

tbgreen89

I am in the same boat!
    I just picked up a 6s+ on Sunday. Coming from Android since the original Evo and recently a Note 5. I had a 3GS back in the day but only for a few weeks. So far I'm actually liking it. It's smooth. Everything works. Battery is incredible. I'm amazed.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Conversely using OS X's messaging app is one major reason why I'm still on iOS. There's others including my apple watch. Either way, I know how you feel, though being able to text via computer is a nice benefit.

5. tom504 thread starter macrumors regular

tom504

Seems like using Airplay might be an option to access the message app. I am sure there is a thread or 2 somewhere talking about it.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

7. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

While I still have my iPhone, I made the switch to a Nexus 6 recently, and boy do I miss some of the Apple ecosystem. Bring able to text from my Mac was awesome and the battery on my iPhone 6 is really quite good. The Nexus sometimes had spurts of random battery drain and other minor irritations, while iOS never gave me those things. Maybe in the fall I'll go back to iOS :)

Glad you're enjoying it though, the 6s+ is a great phone!

8. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

There are plenty of methods of texting from computers when using Android. PushBullet, AirDroid, Hangouts with Google Voice, or if you have Verizon they have a desktop app.

9. Merkyworks macrumors 6502

I use WhatsApp on iPhone and on my work PC daily and it works great

10. Wildo6882 macrumors 6502

Wildo6882

I've been mostly with Android since 2010. I've used iPhones here and there dispersed throughout that time, but for the most part I've been an Android guy. I picked up the 6s+ shortly before Christmas and have been enjoying it ever since. There are little things that I don't like and things that I miss from Android, but right now I can't quite get myself to jump back. The battery is incredible, and everything seems to work - to use that old cliche... To further solidify my move to Apple, I ordered a new Apple TV and the iPad Pro. Maybe down the line I'll get me a Mac and move the whole family to Mac if I enjoy this for the long haul. iOS does seem simpler, but it still does pretty much everything Android does. At least, everything I need it to do - and I get to still use my Google services. I find myself actually using the phone as it was intended and enjoying it, rather than messing with it to get it just right, or to squash that bug, or to make sure my battery is optimized.

11. tom504 thread starter macrumors regular

tom504

The other thing I started to notice this week that I would assume Apple does not allow is 3rd party apps acting as a caller ID for an incoming calls. I now get calls I can't identify, before I had TrueCaller installed and it would pop up with an incoming call and identify the caller via they online database. Quite handy.

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

iOS mostly restricts interactions with various OS-level functions (calls being an example of that).

13. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

14. tom504 thread starter macrumors regular

tom504

I don't think it interfaces with the dialer. I have it installed and verified and it looks like it is used after the call has been made.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 29, 2016 ---
    WhatsApp is cool but no ability to SMS to a phone not using WhatsApp.

15. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

16. Tycho24 Suspended

Tycho24

Lol, ummmmm.... what BIG screen smart phone did you (supposedly) have in the 3GS era??
    The Dell Streak was the 1st "phablet" & came out over a year after... The 1st note, over a year after that.

17. tom504 thread starter macrumors regular

tom504

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTC_HD2 .. And, I did say maybe it was a 4 but you know you should do your homework before calling someone out.

18. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

Yeah I've looked into those, but I switch between Windows and OS X on my Mac, and I really dislike downloading third party software to replicate first party functionality. Those are definitely good suggestions though!

19. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

Doesnt the Google/Hangouts be the answer then?

20. tom504 thread starter macrumors regular

tom504

Only to other Hangouts. There is nothing like Mightytext for the Iphone that allows you to text to anyone from a Windows machine like you can from OSX and Messages. BTW, I do love the fact I can use my Ipad do text. I even thought about running Vmware workstation and loading up OSX, but at that point it's too much trouble.

21. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

Like OP says, only to other hangouts conversations, and no one I know uses it unfortunately.

22. Tycho24 Suspended

Tycho24

Fair enough.
    I apologize.
    Welcome back, btw!
    I've been on both sides as well...
    Really loving iOS right now; they've addressed a LOT of my quibbles. I still miss that when you set an alarm on Android, it briefly pops up a message like "your alarm is set for six hours & forty-two minutes from now", so you can't accidentally hit AM instead of PM or something... but kudos to Apple that that's the biggest complaint I can think of right now! :)

23. tom504 thread starter macrumors regular

tom504

Hey it's all good and thanks for that. I have always been impressed with Google Maps and what Apple has done with their own maps integration for searching has really caught up with Google. The Iphone 6s+ has me more impressed than when I got the LG G3 or HTC One at release.

24. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

Well there isnt much more if you dont want to use 3rd party apps. I dont consider googles own apps as 3rd party apps in android... Hangouts/Google voice can be used to send sms/msm too and can be used from a computer - unfortunately not everywhere in world. When you said you have nexus and switch between osx and win, that was the only "not 3rd party app" that can be used - even with Message app in osx to send messages. But i dont know anyone who uses hangouts, except my bf :D

I havent used Hangouts for awhile because all my friends are using skype (and whatsapp) and i dont use my android phone anymore, so i dont know if they have changed that somehow. i think i read it from somewhere that google is "replacing" Hangouts by Messenger app or so...

Yes there are better apps and hangouts has its limitations, but other alternatives are 3rd party apps which Flow39 didnt want to use.

25. ATC macrumors 6502a

FWIW, in case the suggested app doesn't work, and I'm not sure if this is available from your carrier but here in Canada some carriers (Rogers and Fido) have a feature called Name Display (an enhanced caller ID) which shows both the number and its associated registered name (no app needed). It works great but, for certain cell plans, it's an extra charge.