Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hot12345

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2015
Just wanted to say hello. I was tired of the small screen on the iphone, either a 3gs or 4, and went to Android and have gone through a lot of Android phones during that time. I got fed up with my Samsung Galaxy s6 edge's performance, battery and misc other quirks and bought out the remaining contract from at&t and got a 6s+.

So far an very impressed with the functionality and screen size. Also impressed with wallet integration with my bank and even get messages when the debit card is used. I have had an Ipad since they have been out and using an Air 2 so I was never to far for the ecosystem.

I do miss being able to text message via Mightytext from my Windows 10 laptop but it's a minor adjustment.

I also kept my huawei watch and the functionality is good enough on the 6s+. I was only using it for incoming data anyway and I get most of that.
I am in the same boat!
I just picked up a 6s+ on Sunday. Coming from Android since the original Evo and recently a Note 5. I had a 3GS back in the day but only for a few weeks. So far I'm actually liking it. It's smooth. Everything works. Battery is incredible. I'm amazed.
TrueCaller app is in the iTunes store.

I want to try the nexus 6p, i have been from the beginning a iphone user, but the nexus 6p i want to try it. What do you guys think? Should inmake the step to go for the nexus 6p?

Have the 6s+

tom504

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2009
I want to try the nexus 6p, i have been from the beginning a iphone user, but the nexus 6p i want to try it. What do you guys think? Should inmake the step to go for the nexus 6p?

Have the 6s+

If you are going to for change sure, but I would also say that most likely you will not be blown away by anything that would keep you on that platform instead of using a 6s+. That said, I did not care about root'ing the phone and adding things that aren't in the play store. For me it was the things I mentioned I can't do anymore, since apple does not allow it, that would draw me back in and not Android itself. Also, like a lot of people have said in a lot of threads, the same apps, if they exists on Android, are most likely inferior, still! Not some of the major ones, but alot are. That is what keeps me from buying an android tablet.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
@tom504

I think i didnt understand it right, but ... What did you mean by saying: "i did not care about rooting the phone and adding things that arent in the play store."

tom504

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2009
@tom504

I think i didnt understand it right, but ... What did you mean by saying: "i did not care about rooting the phone and adding things that arent in the play store."

There is a big community of rooting the phone (like jailbreak) to add functionality or putting on a different variant of android. http://forum.xda-developers.com/ I stop doing that because I was concerned about opening security holes in my phone.
[doublepost=1454252248][/doublepost]

Have the 6s+
BTW, just saw this: https://slickdeals.net/coupons/best-buy/

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone

Have the 6s+
If you want to try it, go try it. What we think is absolutely irrelevant. No one will be hurt by your choice, either way. And if anyone tried to persuade you one way or the other, my advise would be to ignore them and go with your own desires. It's only a phone, not a life changing decision. And you can always change your mind again. Good luck and enjoy your exploration.

Hot12345

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2015
If you are going to for change sure, but I would also say that most likely you will not be blown away by anything that would keep you on that platform instead of using a 6s+. That said, I did not care about root'ing the phone and adding things that aren't in the play store. For me it was the things I mentioned I can't do anymore, since apple does not allow it, that would draw me back in and not Android itself. Also, like a lot of people have said in a lot of threads, the same apps, if they exists on Android, are most likely inferior, still! Not some of the major ones, but alot are. That is what keeps me from buying an android tablet.
If you want to try it, go try it. What we think is absolutely irrelevant. No one will be hurt by your choice, either way. And if anyone tried to persuade you one way or the other, my advise would be to ignore them and go with your own desires. It's only a phone, not a life changing decision. And you can always change your mind again. Good luck and enjoy your exploration.

So what do you say? That Android is a good try? Or do you think i will go back to Apple?

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
So what do you say? That Android is a good try? Or do you think i will go back to Apple?
I like my iPhone. I won't switch, have no desire to. But so what, is what I am saying.

If you want to try another phone do so. You can always come back to iPhone if you don't like what you try. It's only money.

Do it or don't do it. No one on here can have the right answer for you. Make a choice, you can always change your mind again after you experience the difference.

tom504

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2009

I would say you probably want to have some requirements that are not met by the iphone that are met by an Android phone to make a switch.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
I would say you probably want to have some requirements that are not met by the iphone that are met by an Android phone to make a switch.

It's so subjective. One person's must have, is another person's so so. Even requirements are subjective. How they are implemented, how using them, how often you may or may not put them to use. Some people have several phones, as one phone does not have everything they want. Though that would be a pain for me juggling phones. But others are fine with it. All subjective!

tom504

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2009
It's so subjective. One person's must have, is another person's so so. Even requirements are subjective. How they are implemented, how using them, how often you may or may not put them to use. Some people have several phones, as one phone does not have everything they want. Though that would be a pain for me juggling phones. But others are fine with it. All subjective!

If this person has well defined requirements that are not available with one solution, but are with another it would be pretty clear to me. Subjective to me would be how the key pad dialed and the sound being different from one phone to another. If a requirement was I must have visual voicemail baked into the OS and not 3rd party that is a clear requirement.

Hot12345

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2015
I like my iPhone. I won't switch, have no desire to. But so what, is what I am saying.

If you want to try another phone do so. You can always come back to iPhone if you don't like what you try. It's only money.

Do it or don't do it. No one on here can have the right answer for you. Make a choice, you can always change your mind again after you experience the difference.

True at that.. But can you tell me why you like the Iphone more then any android phone(nexus6p)?

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
True at that.. But can you tell me why you like the Iphone more then any android phone(nexus6p)?
For me ease of use. Had two eachiPhone since 3GS, 4s, 5s, 6+ and 6s+. One forme and one for son. Never had any issues or trouble with any of them. They just work.

Second reason is iOS and integration with iPads, MacBooks, Apple TV, Apple extreme. Again all communicates and works so well with each other.

Third I am convinced I have better security with iPhone. And finally if it's not broken don't fix it. Those are my reasons.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
The iPhone 6s plus is my first iPhone. Have had androids for years and recently a nexus 6. I have always had an ipad.

My first week I loved the iPhone. Second week it was alright and I decided not to return it. Now I've had it for 3 months and I'm ready to go back. I just miss Android too much. Too many annoyances on ios for me.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
There is a big community of rooting the phone (like jailbreak) to add functionality or putting on a different variant of android. http://forum.xda-developers.com/ I stop doing that because I was concerned about opening security holes in my phone.

Aah, ok. You rooted your phone because you wanted to add something that wasnt supported by a default or wasnt able to do without rooting. I didnt understand that at first because only times you root android it is when using custom roms and apps which rely on getting the root permission. By a default android is very open and you can even install apps without installing them from Playstore. However i wouldnt do that unless im sure the file is safe...

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
The iPhone 6s plus is my first iPhone. Have had androids for years and recently a nexus 6. I have always had an ipad.

My first week I loved the iPhone. Second week it was alright and I decided not to return it. Now I've had it for 3 months and I'm ready to go back. I just miss Android too much. Too many annoyances on ios for me.

What annoys you about it? I've been on Android for a long time too and went with a 6s Plus in December. I love it some days and it annoys me other days. But, there isn't an Android phone out that I'd rather use right now. There is nothing in the market that I trust in the same respect as my iPhone. I'm going to ride it out a little while longer unless something on Android just really catches my eye and I know it'll work as intended.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Android is fun for a gadget tinkerer/collector. Many kind of phones available on the market for cheap, and you can play around with custom ROM.

But I don't have time for that anymore. Once I need a smartphone that I can trust to be secure and updated promptly, I have no choice other than getting an iPhone. I don't necessarily like iPhone per se, but the way Google and Android OEMs not taking mobile security seriously forces me to go with Apple.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
I don't root or play around with custom roms either. But I still prefer android. I use nexus phones so I always have the latest updates. When I have more time i'll write up my list of annoyances but I got the iphone expecting a more polished, more integrated experience but i'm finding I still have bugs and performance glitches from time to time. Some things aren't as intuitive. And I find it lacks, at times, functionality in the OS and the apps compared to android.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
I don't necessarily like iPhone per se, but the way Google and Android OEMs not taking mobile security seriously forces me to go with Apple.

If you are concerned about updates, buy nexus devices only.

But getting updates doesnt mean that the phone is more secure than the other. Most "secure problems" android has are usually related to installing paid apps for free from unknown sources... If you do that with your iphone, it isnt any secure than the android phone. I could go to a dark alley and drop my pants down, but when i do that and something nasty happens, would i blame the street or the city that i couldn walk pants down on that alley and be secure?

Generally iphone is secure for most people because installing a malware needs jailbreaking. Generally android is secure for most people but let you install a malware by ticking the box "trust unknown places to install..." So basicly, even the blondiest person cant install a malware in iphone easily/accidentally while with android you should understand what that means and "accidentally" go to the settings/security/ticking the box.

And a reality check rather than living in a soap bubble:
Apps causing a secure risk
http://uk.businessinsider.com/study...nerable-than-android-phones-2015-11?r=US&IR=T

Os vulnerabilities
http://news.softpedia.com/news/80-vulnerabilities-found-in-ios-in-2015-10-in-android-488676.shtml

Os and software vulnerabilities
http://www.gfi.com/blog/most-vulnerable-operating-systems-and-applications-in-2014/

Im using iphone because of the privacy not because it is any secure than android.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
If you are concerned about updates, buy nexus devices only.

But getting updates doesnt mean that the phone is more secure than the other. Most "secure problems" android has are usually related to installing paid apps for free from unknown sources... If you do that with your iphone, it isnt any secure than the android phone.

Im using iphone because of the privacy not because it is any secure than android.
Nexus phones are not readily available nor supported worldwide. If they are, they are priced the same as iPhone (Huawei is selling Nexus 6P in Singapore for the same price as iPhone). Google doesn't like consumers outside North America, and they don't care.

There's no reason for me to install apps outside official sources. However, using Android increases the risk by nature when rooted, and for many phones, rooting is the only option to get updated OS.

Agree on privacy reasons.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
Nexus phones should be supported worldwide since they work on both CDMA and GSM networks. They are selling them down at the local bestbuy and they're on sale right now.
As far as privacy, they've added the same privacy controls as ios in marshmallow. You can choose what to allow each app to access through, I believe, 8 different categories.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Nexus phones should be supported worldwide since they work on both CDMA and GSM networks. They are selling them down at the local bestbuy and they're on sale right now.
As far as privacy, they've added the same privacy controls as ios in marshmallow. You can choose what to allow each app to access through, I believe, 8 different categories.
Do they support all or most of the bands used throughout the world? Are local Best Buy stores really available in most places outside of US/North America?

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
Internationally it supports:

GSM/EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900MHz
UMTS/WCDMA: B1/2/4/5/6/8/9/19
TDSCDMA: 34/39
CDMA: BC0/1
LTE (FDD): B1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9/17/19/20/28
LTE (TDD): B38/B39/40/41
CA DL: B1-B5, B1-B8, B1-B19, B3-B3, B3-B5, B3-B7, B3-B8, B3-B19, B3-B20, B3-B28, B5-B7, B7-B7, B7-B20, B7-B28, B39-B39, B40-B40, B41-B41

Is there a particular band you're looking for? It works in singapore which Pika2000 mentioned above. There are two versions of the phone, a north america version which does work in most of the world and a global version which covers the rest.

It is also sold in more stores than just best buy. They do sell a global version so you'd need to check in your area.

Last edited:

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
If there's something wrong with my iPhone, I can just take it to any Apple store/authorized service center in the world (except maybe China).
If there's something wrong with the Nexus and I'm not in the US, what can I do?

Try finding a Nexus phone outside the US, at similar pricing. In Singapore, Huawei is selling the Nexus 6P at the same price as the iPhone 6S.

macjunk(ie)

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
Try finding a Nexus phone outside the US, at similar pricing. In Singapore, Huawei is selling the Nexus 6P at the same price as the iPhone 6S.
in Singapore , the 128gb nexus is 1000sgd vs the 1588 for the iphone plus equivalent. Just sayin...

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
in Singapore , the 128gb nexus is 1000sgd vs the 1588 for the iphone plus equivalent. Just sayin...
Is that official price, or some 3rd party import no-warranty gray market stuff?

Last time I check from official Huawei store, the base model 6P is at least $1050, and that was during a promo or something. That's like $750 US, $300 more than the actual US price. And that is before looking at the support quality of huawei, let alone international support.

In the US, recommending a Nexus is easy. Outside US, it's ridiculous.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.