Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With updates likely only hours away, a few final tidbits prior to the launch...

The iTunes Store reveals an image promoting the expected Back to School Promo:

backtoschool.png

The promo which launches on Tuesday, allows college students to get a free iPod Nano with any Mac purchase (excluding the Mac mini). Students may opt to take a $199 credit against a more expensive iPod if desired. Unfortunately the iPhone seems to be excluded from this promo.

Some Page 2 MacBook Pro specs were posted earlier, pointing towards 2.2GHz / 2.4GHz MacBook Pro updates with GeForce 8600M GT video. Appleinsider has updated with comparable specs of the rumored 15" notebooks.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
hardly worth posting at this late hour, but this thread can serve as the playground for the last minute discussion/waiting.

arn

asrmatt

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2006
Rome, Italy
Joy of waiting!

Waiting for our new MBP may i sing a perfect Arctic Monkeys song? :)

Anticipation has a habit to set you up
For disappointment in evening entertainment but
Tonight there’ll be some love
Tonight there'll be a rawkus, regardless of what's gone before

Anawrahta

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2005
亞洲
If they release as the same specs as AI showed, all I can say is HO HUM update. It's nice that its santa rosa, and new graphics, but honestly no backlit LED? Also 256 and 512MB graphics woulda been nicer for flagship notebooks dontchathink?

If this is it for the notebooks for another 6 months, I sure hope they have some killer iMacs being unleashed next week as hinted by Steve, or this is going to be a boring summer for Mac computers.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
And 2.2/2.4 GHz would mean Santa Rosa?

How does the GeForce 8600M GT stack up against other GPUs suitable for inch-thin laptops? (I know those thick and heavy Windows luggables can fit higher-end GPUs than that.)

If they release as the same specs as AI showed, all I can say is HO HUM update. It's nice that its santa rosa, and new graphics, but honestly no backlit LED? Also 256 and 512MB graphics woulda been nicer for flagship notebooks dontchathink?

15" LED displays will come sometime--Apple has said LED is their future. Are we certain they are not coming today? The rumored specs I've seen don't mention the backlight used.

If this is it for the notebooks for another 6 months, I sure hope they have some killer iMacs being unleashed next week as hinted by Steve, or this is going to be a boring summer for Mac computers.

LED backlight aside, what features were you hoping for? These are the fastest mobile chips out there, in an already great laptop design. Santa Rosa and a GPU boost is all I personally was hoping to see.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
And 2.2/2.4 GHz would mean Santa Rosa?

How does the GeForce 8600M GT stack up against other GPUs suitable for inch-thin laptops? (I know those thick and heavy Windows luggables can fit higher-end GPUs than that.)

I think 2.2/2.4 does indicate Santa Rosa from my understanding. I don't necessarily think TFT excludes LED, but don't take my word for it.

arn

xfusejc

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2006
I was waiting for this before buying my MacBook, but I don't see any discount when I add the iPod to the MacBook on the cart. How does the discount on the iPod work?

CHROMEDOME

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2005
Bay Area/LA
I was waiting for this before buying my MacBook, but I don't see any discount when I add the iPod to the MacBook on the cart. How does the discount on the iPod work?

You gotta buy both the macbook and the ipod...then print out the mail in rebate thing, then cut out the UPC of both products then like mail all that stuff in. Then wait 6-8 weeks for the money...ITS GREAT FUN!

I like how "back to school" is already starting, a lot of people are still in school.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I think 2.2/2.4 does indicate Santa Rosa from my understanding. I don't necessarily think TFT excludes LED, but don't take my word for it.

arn

You're right - Googling for LED backlit TFT turns up lots of hits.

i'd prefer a ultra-portable over a MBP upgrade. but that's just me.

Now you're talking :) 9"-13", with 64GB+ flash and no HD, 128 VRAM, and external optical please :) I know it would cost more than the 15" and I still am ready to pay for that power in an ultraportable.

But whatever the details, I do think a smaller laptop is coming (probably not today). Probably using the MacBook Pro name--just a new smaller size in the lineup

brandon6684

Dec 30, 2002
You're right - Googling for LED backlit TFT turns up lots of hits.

Now you're talking :) 9"-13", with all flash and no HD, 128 VRAM, and external optical please :)

But whatever the details, I do think a smaller laptop is coming (probably not today). Probably using the MacBook Pro name--just a new smaller size in the lineup

A 10" or so solid state ultraportable would be nice, but I'm guessing expensive from Apple. I think I'll wait and see how hackable the Linux on the Palm Foleo is.

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
And all I've done all day is read up on what's coming, instead of doing my work. Perhaps now that there's some hours to kill before the update I'll do some work. I hope it's not another major disappointment though, ala MacBook.

Object-X

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2004
Impeccable timing

Wow, I just sold my first gen MacBook Pro today! What timing. I sure hope they come with new enclosures, though admittedly I have no idea how they could make them better - only that they always do. :)

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I'm still hoping the 17" has a 1920 x 1200 Resolution :rolleyes:

Count on it coming sooner or later, since Leopard will support a true res-independent UI. However, I believe developers have been told to be ready for res-independence in 2008? I hope that gets moved sooner (October?) but if it's a feature we don't see enabled (or widely used by apps) until 2008, then I expect the 1920x1200 MacBook Pro will wait a while as well. Tiny pixels are terrible for readability otherwise. (I'm imagining this 24" iMac screen shrunk to 17"--ugh!) Still, you can always hold out hope for a BTO option--as long as the demand for that res is great enough.

ricgnzlzcr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
I really can't see any extraordinary changes occuring. Actually, I hope not or else I'll be spending yet again.

ibinco

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2007
I am an apple lover/user since the past half year...Do you guys have any idea wether the back to school promo starts around the same time in Europe?! Looking to buy a new macbook pro and give my macbook to the girlfriend!

kungming2

macrumors regular
May 31, 2007
I was wondering - I'm going to start college this fall (at Princeton), and I really need a new MacBook Pro and an iPod. Would I be able to utilize the back-to-school discount?

Sbrocket

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
/dev/null
I was wondering - I'm going to start college this fall (at Princeton), and I really need a new MacBook Pro and an iPod. Would I be able to utilize the back-to-school discount?

Yes, you can use the discount. Just go to http://store.apple.com tomorrow sometime after the official release and go to Princeton's education store.

:apple:

P.S. @Kingofkolt ~ Command-R!

kingofkolt

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2007
Boston, MA

I'm wondering this too... It says "college students". Does that include people just accepted into a college (and can prove it with an acceptance letter)?

Congrats on getting into Princeton, by the way!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.