back to the mac disappointing

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by hoefler, Oct 20, 2010.

1. hoefler macrumors member

was it just as disappointing for you guys?

the most i was hoping for a 10.6.5 update because of the graphic card problems i'm having. not a word!

So is this going to get fixed or what? or did i actually payed 5000$ for a computer with a faulty graphics card here?:confused:

also New OS and all they can talk about is the appstore :confused:

oh and mbair looked sweet, but pricing sucks bigtime and core2duo - its almost 2011

2. scottsjack macrumors 68000

Exactly!

To repeat myself from the Back to The Mac thread most of the Mac stuff was family-friendly, good-times stuff. My Macs aren't family computers with all kinds of cool and groovy kiddy stuff so a bit of performance info would have been nice.

The Finder's options are still weak, causing one to need third party add-ons, no all Apple software is multi-core friendly and Windows still does a far better job of making window adjustments flexible and easy.

The SJ/JI perversion for thinness seems to stress form over function. Both the mini and the MBA are less than modern computers from a performance pov.

If the mac as a pro machine concept falls apart next year at least Mac Pros make really great Window 7 machines.

3. psychometry macrumors regular

Apple events are pretty much in-person press releases meant to showcase their upcoming products. Why on earth would they talk about bugfixes?

I'm sure it'll get fixed but you won't hear about it in a press release.

4. G4er? macrumors 6502a

I would say that function is suffering because of form. Like putting the SD slot on the back of the mini just so the look on the front isn't disrupted. That's not what Mac's used to be about. It used to be, They Just Work. Now it's They Mostly Work (except when some feature interferes with the way we want it to look).

5. kingtj macrumors 68020

Nope! I was far from disappointed, myself!

As someone already said, this event was held to promote the new iLife '11 suite primarily, on the software side, and the Macbook Air update on the hardware side. Neither of those things targets hard-core "power users" directly. The new OS X Lion preview was just that; a sneak peek at things that aren't finished yet - just so people are aware that Apple's still doing things with OS X and not ONLY doing iOS stuff (as so many people keep claiming lately!).

I thought the concept of combining all the "screen management tools" like Expose, Dashboard and Spaces into a unified "Mission Control" was a GREAT idea, and should increase productivity for "power users" of the Mac along with everyone else.

Supporting the App Store for OS X could become a REALLY big thing, but as usual - most people don't seem to be able to take a long-term view of anything innovative? The mere fact that Apple allows developers to split profits 70% to 30% and the App Store handle update management for the users who purchase their app means it'll generate a considerable amount of interest in developing new software for the platform. (Look how many people wrote games and apps for the iPhone/iPad who weren't coding an OS X equivalent. Many of them will make the transition if it's as easy as porting it and submitting it the way they're already accustomed to doing now.)

As we all know from our computer history - Windows dominated the market because it managed to get the vast majority of the software coded for the platform. At the end of the day, the BEST operating system in the world is pretty useless to people if the apps aren't there to run on it!

6. RebootD macrumors 6502a

RebootD

I just don't care, as a Mac Pro user, about any multi-touch features. I have zero devices hooked up to this that can take advantage of them.

I'm all for them simplifying the interface but my apps are in my dock, I usually have my core applications running so I just cmd-tab to switch..

Well whatever, as long as they work on making my current hardware run faster I'll be happy.

Also, who wants to bet that "full screen mode" destroys any Adobe app come next summer? ;)

7. C. Alan macrumors 6502

I am interested to see how the app store plays out. It is one thing to sell Iphone apps that for the most part price under $5, but softare for Macs and PC's in general goes for alot more per title. Will this allow smaller developers to compete without the publishing companies? Will the big companies flood the store with 'junk' ports?

I am in the process of learning Objective C, so this could get interesting for me.

8. hoefler thread starter macrumors member

thing i'm worried about is that myt computer is going to look like a freaking commercial!

i bet there will be a permanent appstore icon of some sort in the finder window, comparable to the itunes store icon in itunes, i'll bet money on it!

next say hello to iads all over the screen...and IOS and ipad toy OS on a 5000$ computer i use for my professional work...?

Hope i'm wrong but this event was more like a "professionals hit the road" keynote. We get 1 hour of ilife crap about how easy it is to make picture books and how cool it is to make your own trailer with the use of some lame templates, and we had the crowd going nuts...lol mac"pro"

9. scottsjack macrumors 68000

Like I noted earlier Macs do make great Windows computers. While I prefer to use Mac OS X Windows 7 isn't all that bad and does have some performance advantages over SL.

I dread the thought of going back to Windows as my primary OS but Steve will let us know within a year what the true path for OS X is. While I don't believe that he'll turn it into an app-happy, ad-happy, closed system, giant iToy one never knows with that guy. He's probably the most openly greedy person on the planet.

10. brentsg macrumors 68040

See I'll never understand comments like this. Jobs has one objective, and that's to maximize shareholder value. He's doing this.

Greed comments attributed to a CEO are nothing but comedy, regardless of what company is being targeted.

11. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

I respect that so much more more than the secretive, lying, backstabbing, self-absorbed people I've ever known (a lot). More power to Steve.

12. Major Reeves macrumors regular

Only consumer related crap, HD4870 pulled out, no word on the HD5870, no word on xcode 4 and no word how 10.7'll be under the hood.

13. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

so greed is good. where have I heard that?

greed is not good by definition it is always in excess of what is needed. thus causing ones self damage.
    you are confusing greed with growth . all truly greedy CEO'S Need to be fired as they are hurting their business with excessive gain and growth.

enough of the english lesson. I don't think Steve Jobs is greedy in the least. I think he is practicing sound business for his company. For example Mac Air books will truly die off due to the flash memory. most likely in the 4th or 5th year of use After applecare expires. true junk and he did mention how easy they are to recycle them. That sound like a business plan to me.

14. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

+1
    The way Steve Jobs leads Apple is centered on finding the optimal win/win solution for all stakeholders: Apple, consumers, developers, content creators...
    The optimal is not something that works for 100% of people 100% of the times; there are compromises. Those who don't like the compromises are free not to opt-in.

15. yoink macrumors member

yoink

Magic Trackpad is amazing for both FCP and Logic Pro. I barely use the Euphonix transport surface in FCP anymore since the gestures are so much quicker than both the jog/shuttle (on the MC Transport) and some of the keyboard shortcuts they replace!

Same goes for Motion. I can't imagine going back to a mouse now. And I only picked it up since I got so used to the exposé and browser features on a Macbook Pro trackpad. Then I discovered the $79 device mostly replaced a $450 add-on to a control surface setup.

Speaking of which, I have an Euphonix MC Transport for sale.

16. bvp663 macrumors newbie

This is the first positive review of the magic trackpad by a creative professional I've read. Does FCP have multitouch gestures built into it?

17. RebootD macrumors 6502a

RebootD

I use a 6x11in Wacom Intuos3.. with a pen so I really don't need,or want, another input device but I'm glad it worked out for you.

18. hoefler thread starter macrumors member

if this keynote showed us anything it was the fail of the magic mouse and hilarious mouse gestures just to get something done. It looked pretty retarded.

i can only agree with the guys whom said that its form above function with Apple. Me as a person who almost exclusively uses his computer for work could care less about how my machine looks, i just want performance and a computer that works.

I'm a fairly new mac user and without stepping on someones toes, I'm in no way impressed, on the contrary, with all this video card drama and now the future of the OS witch is probably going to make my computer look like a freaking commercial i regret switching to Mac

probably a weird taught but i kind of think that if the Microsoft/windows people have seen this keynote (and I'm sure mr gates, steve balmer and top windows developers have) i think they would have really been laughing or must have said WTF...full screen mode for lion, windows is able to run software in full screen mode since 98, loads of hoopla over some trailer templates to make fun video's, and woah! picture books...appstore for mac....an outdated and overpriced notebook that just looks good

In the future its going to be Apple who decides which app we can and can not install, they are moving towards controlling everything about how we use our computer...hope i'm wrong but if this is the case, i won't hesitate one sec. to go back to windows

19. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

It's a beta.

I don't understand what you mean by looking like a freaking commercial. But I regret you switched to a Mac, too.

If you want a good laugh, you need to google "BSOD on stage".

No one ever said the App store is the only means of purchasing or installing apps.

20. mikerr macrumors regular

Agreed - too many gestures, he should have been using the bluetooth trackpad, or a TOUCHSCREEN

The iOS inspired homescreen and homescreen folders, also screamed touchscreen to me - the only reason Jobs talked down the idea of a touchscreen macbook is that they aren't releasing one yet - as OS X isn't ready for it, but Lion may be - nothing really to do with vertical orientation.

Come late next year or 2012, Apple will bring out a touchscreen macbook, proclaim it revolutionary, and conveniently forget all that vertical orientation crap.

21. hoefler thread starter macrumors member

hey chill man, don't take it personal... i'm just talking about a computer brand, not your mama

22. Hisdem macrumors 6502a

Hisdem

Yeah but if you talk something that clearly isn't correct with such a senseless basis, do you just expect people to agree with you? The real troll here would be you, because if someone criticizes what you say you just call them a fanboy and don't use valid arguments against their criticism.

I do agree though, that the Magic Mouse was a fail on stage yesterday.

23. hoefler thread starter macrumors member

ah quit the troll stuff will ya, its getting old, everytime some guy says something negative about Apple he's either a troll, talking crap or not correct "yawn"

whats not correct about me saying i kind of regret moving to Apple...so you guys can look inside my brain somehow or know me personaly? whats not correct when i say that i'm having video card problems on my 5000$ computer AND most people on here act as if it "normal" and "OK" because hey guess what "its Apple, and Apple is great". If i don't like the way its going with Apple than thats my point of view, and here's a new one, but you don't have to agree just as i don't have to agree with people who like how its going, its called "an opinion" forums are here so people can post opinions, no need to make it a personal thing or take it personal. for some twisted reason when you give some critique about Apple products on macrumors your a troll and or getting payed by Microsoft to go around the internet and post negative stuff about the Almighty Apple Co. (yeah someone actually send me a PM claiming i'm getting payed by microsoft ) ....go figure

i'm not calling him a fanboy because he doesn't agree with me, I'm calling him a fanboy because he's taking stuff personal and can't look beyond the fact that there are in fact customers whom are not happy with good reason, like i said i'm talking about a computer brand man, why on earth would he regret me switching to mac LOL, is it coasting him money, am i ruining his day, is it a closed community....please fill me in??:confused:

24. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I agree that the method used to activate Mission Control needs work. A three finger swipe on a trackpad may work great, but on the Magic Mouse, it requires that I release my fingers from the side of the mouse and, while swiping, the mouse itself has a tendency to move.

25. Hisdem macrumors 6502a

Hisdem

Well, of course you can be disappointed on your switch to Mac. I'm not here to say Apple is good or if it's bad or if it's better. But, if we are going to say they screwed up, let's use valid arguments.

You are having problems on your Mac Pro, which is a very expensive machine. It's a machine, it can fail. HOWEVER, if the problem you are having was common, and many people had it, then I would agree with you. Did Apple refuse to replace it for you or something? Because if they didn't I don't see a reason for you to be that angry. Of course it was expected to work fine the first time, but if it didn't try again. It's a machine, it CAN, and WILL fail. The only question is when. Fun thing is I don't see anyone complaining about MS or so when your PC freezes or needs re formatting. They consider that "normal".

So why is it Apple can't make a mistake and others can?