Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

il_teo77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2015
Switzerland
Since Apple introduced the Apple Silicon powered Macs with their long battery life I can't help but wonder how to manage them.
On the weekend I bring my Mac home without the need to bring the charger which stays neatly at the office. When in the office I am still on the fences whether or not to leave it plugged the whole day. I know it has battery management, but then again, I am not so sure it works.
When I leave the office, to go to a construction site, I close the lid on my Mac and put it in "sleep", which can be almost half of a work day.

So now. My comment is the following.

Apple disables a ton of processes when on battery, or in "sleep mode" (plugged in but lid closed). So it takes absolute ages to perform a series of operations.

For instance: Face recognition in Photos is still a mystery to me as far as when does it actually perform it. Another example is the download of iCloud photos when on battery or in sleep mode.
Or syncing Podcasts, TV shows and the like.
Now that Music has been rewritten (I am on macOS Monterey 12.2 public beta) things seem to work better in that department.

But as far as photos is concerned, when I return from the construction site, it takes opening the lid and waiting for it to "populate" the Photos album with the photos I took when outside. (and, in order to force syncing from the iPhone which suffers the same issue, but I can understand more, I usually charge the iPhone in my car to allow it to sync on the cloud).

All in all I think Apple needs to review it's energy settings and "power nap" settings to allow more operations to be performed without connecting the Mac to a power source all of the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.