Backlight issue with 3gs.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Diseal3, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

Hey all,

I bought a 3gs recently in order to replace my 7th iphone 3g that i was sick of driving to the apple store and replacing. Well anywho, the phone is great but for those who have the 3gs I want you to test something. So far it only happened twice, but when i wake the phone up sometimes the backlight dosent go on but the screen is very much active and touch is working. Anyone else experience this?

2. slimcharles macrumors newbie

ive had that happen too, just restart or go into "Settings" and then "Backlight", ill let you know if it keeps happening

3. Diseal3 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yea usually it comes back if I lock the phone and unlock again. Hopefully just a 3.0 bug.

4. duelingdragons macrumors 65816

It's happened to me a few times too. Kinda annoying but w/e.

5. Diseal3 thread starter macrumors 65816

Annoying yes. Hopefully its just a firmware issue in which can be fixed.

6. cheapa55 macrumors 6502a

Did that to me today. I could see the screen but it was very faint. then tried again and it went on.

7. ubestbsteppin macrumors regular

Yup, just happened today. I looked at it for a few seconds and it eventually lit up.

8. eyephone macrumors member

I noticed something like this, I will hit the home button to wake and the screen is visible, but no real back lighting. Hitting home again fixes this, but I hope it is not too common.....

Epic 3GS complaint thread in 3.....2......1.....
    :rolleyes:

9. Diseal3 thread starter macrumors 65816

lol I guess so considering now Im not the only one. But im not ranting. Im a optimistic person.

10. jeffro2k macrumors newbie

Apple Support

I have been talking to a rep at Apple support. I thought i was the only one having this problem until I found this post. I sent the link to her to show her that it is happening to other people. She is not sure if it's a hardware or software problem. She is supposed to call me back on Friday. I will let you guys know what she tells me.

11. Diseal3 thread starter macrumors 65816

Im hoping its software. If not apple has mucho replacing to do =P.

12. jeffro2k macrumors newbie

Considering they sold a 1,000,000 and she had not heard about this yet, and i have seen very little about it on the net, i would assume it is affecting a small % of phones. Maybe a certain lot or something. I don't know, it is annoying and I am sure they will do whatever it takes to get it fixed.

13. duelingdragons macrumors 65816

Fairly confident its not hardware since turning the display off/on solves it.
    Sounds like a bug in the firmware. First time it happened on my 3GS I got scared ****less, I thought my screen died. lol

14. WilliamG macrumors 604

15. jamac427 macrumors newbie

yeah has happened to me several times but not recently since ive let the battery fully cycle

16. drydeniv macrumors newbie

Re: iPhone 3G S woes

The backlight bug just got my 3G S this morning. I woke it up via the home button, and the LCD and touch functions were working, but no backlight.

Last night I had another issue where i was receiving a call and it hung while vibrating (never got to ringing) and was unresponsive to any button input - had to force reboot it.

These few bugs are very unfortunate... (I've submitted reports to apple for both.)

17. Diseal3 thread starter macrumors 65816

ok guys so lets try to narrow this down, is this only happening when you guys wake the phone up via home button or the power button as well?

18. melan4u macrumors newbie

no black light iphone 3GS

My new iphone 3GS has on four occasions, had the screen backlighting remain OFF after waking phone by pressing the home button. When i shut the phone off and on again, the black light came on. Has happened with two iphone 3GS's i have. Waiting for apple fix.......

19. figman4 macrumors newbie

Count me in

OK, happening to me too. Yep...wake from sleep using home button and no backlight.

Just to check, I had Omnifocus on my phone and it happened. I removed it and it didn't seem to happen again until I reloaded Omni and blamo...got hit again.

Maybe a rabbit trail...but anyone else have OF?

20. Diseal3 thread starter macrumors 65816

its more along the lines of waking the phone up with the hope button it seems. Just opened up a bug report.

21. clborden macrumors regular

clborden

Yeah, count me in too... I just touched on the brightness scrub bar and it went back on.

22. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Just happened to me too. Happened when I clicked the sleep button though not home.

This phone is really giving me a headache with all of it's bugs...

23. Diseal3 thread starter macrumors 65816

Well 3.0 is new, I guess we will see 3.0.1 sooner then expected. But hey at least it will be fixed.

24. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

That's true, but they are kinda annoying. My main complaint is batterylife however if this can all be fixed with a firmware update, hey I'm all for it.

25. Chunk72 macrumors member

Chunk72

Mine is doing this too and I use the sleep button to turn the phone on and off.

Happened 3 times so far at random.