Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StingerT125

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2008
Dutchess County New York
Before it was corrected did people check the configuration page of both MacBook models?

2.0:
2.0.png

2.4:
2.4.png

Yes, before it was corrected they both said the same thing.

ohemetophobia

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2008
They also said that the higher-level MacBook was also 2.0 GHz and not 2.4 GHz, which no one else has mentioned as far as I've seen... I thought that was odd too, but they fixed that now also.

eGraeme

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2008
appleinsider said all the ALUMiBooks have the ABILITY to have the backlit keyboard
i wonder if we can aftermarket light it up!

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
Well, they are loosing at least one customer over it. Make it a build option and I might reconsider.
For crist's sake... did you not watch the keynote? it was clearly laid out. its a friggin backlit keyboard. You have probably never had one on any computer you have had in the past. It also doesn't make it any less of a capable machine. A backlit keyboard just looks cool. The brightness from the screen washes it out anyway. (Yes, I have a lappie with a backlit KB,)

What a ridiculous statement..... losing a customer

kerms

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2008
UPDATE: I found out that this is actually true!

I called Apple customer service and after only a brief 5-minute conversation explaining my issue to the customer service rep, I was upgraded from the 2.0 GHz/250 GB model I ordered for $1339.00 to the 2.4 GHz/250 GB model (with backlit keyboard) for just $10 more. They knocked $150 off of the price (not including the discount I already got for using my student discount). GREAT deal. I love Apple customer service, I must say.

CONFIRMED. i got the $150 off as well, which did not include my student discount...total came out to the same $1349

very satisfied first time customer of apple

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
Great for the people that got $150 price cut on the 2.4 models. I am surprised anybody got anything though. If I were employed at Apple and read this thread of people stating they were going to order and ordering in the hopes they could take advantage of what was always an bovious mistake, I would give nobody anything at all but a full refund.

The power of wishful thinking is very powerful it seems.

riz78612

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2007
How did you get $150 off your Macbook.

Can you please let us know. And everyone else, so that we can all benifit from this.

Thanks

gyumilly

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2007

Can you please let us know. And everyone else, so that we can all benifit from this.

Thanks

Call Apple and tell them you have a screenshot and convince if there's anything Apple can compensate. Tell your friend got the $150 off. A rep will likely talk to his/her supervisor and give you a credit.

good luck

ec51

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2008
Call Apple and tell them you have a screenshot and convince if there's anything Apple can compensate. Tell your friend got the $150 off. A rep will likely talk to his/her supervisor and give you a credit.

good luck

Now this is just getting out of hand and people are trying to get something for nothing.

ec51

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2008

Thanks

If you didnt order a 2.0 MB launch day under the impression that it was to come with a backlit keyboard because of a typographical error - you and no one else should be benefiting from anything.

kerms

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2008

good luck

Actually I dont think telling them your friend got $150 off is a good idea, maybe use that as a last resort. but, sometimes when Customer Service Reps see that you know that people are getting the same deal as you want it gives them a red flag before doing anything for you. thats just my opinion and experience though. I just explained that i ordered it pretty excited and saw that they both had the backlit keyboard, thought nothing of it until a friend told me that only the 2.4 had the backlit.

If you didnt order a 2.0 MB launch day under the impression that it was to come with a backlit keyboard because of a typographical error - you and no one else should be benefiting from anything.

yes, totally agree. i dont think its fair for people to try to take advantage knowing that they can get a refund for no reason. apple offered me $150 back on my credit card but i denied it and asked for the higher end model. i am more satisfied with the extra features at a reduced price than i am with $150 back.

to be fair, i didnt really research the mb 2.0 vs 2.4 before buying, since i thought they were the same save the extra 400 mhz and 90gb....was too excited to wait :p

surfdog_2005

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2005

good luck

This happened to me. I called, and they ask for your order # so they can pull it up on their screen. Mine clearly said "backlit keyboard" so they refunded me some $$. I don't think they will accept screenshots.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
For crist's sake... did you not watch the keynote?

Last I checked, we buy our Macs from Apple, not from Steve Jobs personally. He hasn't personally taken the orders for any of the Mac I've bought lately. Maybe I ought to write and complain.

And no, I did not watch the keynote for christ's sake. Or for anyone else's.

iFanaddic

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2008
Montréal, Canada
I bought the cheapest one of the two and when I look at my receipt it does say I have a backlit keyboard, if it gets here and it doesnt what can I do?

EDIT: Called apple and they gave me 150$ gift card.. I bought a battery!!!

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
Last I checked, we buy our Macs from Apple, not from Steve Jobs personally. He hasn't personally taken the orders for any of the Mac I've bought lately. Maybe I ought to write and complain.

And no, I did not watch the keynote for christ's sake. Or for anyone else's.

And who is the most recognizable representative of Apple? Not saying his word is infallible, but I would imagine that his keynotes get a little bit more of a content review than the website. My point is the constant bitching that now goes on around here. Everyone acts like a spoiled brat and stomps their feet until they get what they perceive to be "owed". It's insane.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
And who is the most recognizable representative of Apple? Not saying his word is infallible, but I would imagine that his keynotes get a little bit more of a content review than the website. My point is the constant bitching that now goes on around here. Everyone acts like a spoiled brat and stomps their feet until they get what they perceive to be "owed". It's insane.

It's nuts! Crazy, man!

People place their orders at the Apple Store. Believe it or not, relatively few people watch Steve's keynotes. This not where the vast majority of Apple customers get their information about new products. For whatever reason, Apple blew it. They are now making amends for the 12 hours during which they advertised a feature they were not shipping -- as any wise company would. End of story.

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
It's nuts! Crazy, man!

People place their orders at the Apple Store. Believe it or not, relatively few people watch Steve's keynotes. This not where the vast majority of Apple customers get their information about new products. For whatever reason, Apple blew it. They are now making amends for the 12 hours during which they advertised a feature they were not shipping -- as any wise company would. End of story.

Yes, I would agree, not many really watch the keynote. Bad assumption on my part. I guess I thought if you spent any time here you would at least take a look at it.
i like it cause it presents everything that the lame-o press filters out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.