Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
That isn't entirely true. Unless your definition and my definition of mess are that different, but then again I wouldn't doubt that they are. ;)

Just because you don't see the mess doesn't mean that there wasn't a mess. :D

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
what?! did you really? i hate people these days, that is discrimination.

Yep that's absolutely true I was actually banned because I am gay. One of them sent me an email to tell me I was banned and when I pursued the matter I was told because "... we don't want poofters in our group.." Ah well probably for the best considering.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Yes they can be banned. Paying $25 doesn't allow you to break rules with impunity - more's the pity. ;)

I'd be more inclined to think that if you're committed to MR and pay $25, they may actually be more strict on you because they have higher expectations of committed, long term or regular members. It's easier to notice all the bad stuff you have done because people recognise and remember your name.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
Lots of gay people around here, myself included. You can even call homosexuality a disease and you're still allowed to hang around, as long as you don't call people names. Just one of the reasons why I like MR so much.

I can't help but pick at this one, but if you are gay and if someone said that homosexuality is a disease, you've been called diseased and that is calling someone names, the same as 'ignorant' for example. Surely?

Applespider

macrumors G4
I'd be more inclined to think that if you're committed to MR and pay $25, they may actually be more strict on you because they have higher expectations

Surely not... they have higher expectation after they get to know us?

I'd guess that the longer-serving members (Demis or not) get a little more leeway in some things since a sarcastic remark is less likely to be taken as trolling as it might be from a newbie.

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
It's coming pretty close, Sesshi, but I believe solidarity is the best defence against prejudice. You shouldn't deny people the opportunity to express their opinions, no matter how contrary, providing the basic rules of forum etiquette are adhered to.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Replying to some of the comments above...

Surely you jest.

Threads like these get put to wasteland faster than you can blink if it were started by a regular member.
That thread was started on my watch, and I thought it was entertaining and humorous and a thread people would prefer to have around. And I didn't notice whether or not a Demi started it until just now when I followed your link.

Also, if somebody was banned for being a fan of Microsoft or Windows, I'd like to know about it (privately) since that's not proper grounds for banning. Trolling is disallowed, regardless of subject matter, but properly stated minority opinions are, and should be, part of our discussions.

We prefer to give warnings and see members who cause problems clean up their acts, but the most egregious rules violations can produce instant bans, as can first-time posts by members who clearly joined only to troll or advertise.

Moderation can never be absolutely perfect because it depends on humans, but I like to think we are well above average when it comes to finding the right balance.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
Good thing MacRumors isn't like Mactalk Australia I got banned because I'm gay! :confused:

Or it could possibly be for completely unrelated reasons, I've confirmed with mactalk mods that they have no such homophobic policies and that everyone is welcome, apparently you were banned for altogether different reasons related to this thread:

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/showthread.php?t=14032

Grow up and let the past be the past, your you, people are people why continue to smear them even if they were in the wrong, they're totally accepting of me and my sexuality so the fact that they'd have a problem with yours is highly doubtful.

Unorthodox

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2006
Not at the beach...
As for coming back under a new alias – I believe doing such a thing breaks forum rules so you're liable to get rebanned if you're found out. ;)
Only if you get caught.
Not trying and trying, and trying and getting caught produce the same result.
But if you reregister there is a small chance you wont get caught.

I'm not endorsing this, I'm just saying...

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
Or it could possibly be for completely unrelated reasons, I've confirmed with mactalk mods that they have no such homophobic policies and that everyone is welcome, apparently you were banned for altogether different reasons related to this thread:

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/showthread.php?t=14032

Grow up and let the past be the past, your you, people are people why continue to smear them even if they were in the wrong, they're totally accepting of me and my sexuality so the fact that they'd have a problem with yours is highly doubtful.

What you're suggesting I was banned because they were criticised publicly so they just censored me by banning me from their forum? Yeah right, I was told this one on one. That whole scenario that you refer to was concocted so they could publicly justify banning me. In fact it was Amos (aka Currawong) who made the statement. So don't run to the defence of a couple of red necks because you have some kind of affiliation to them and tell me to grow up.

I did a lot for that forum in their growth period and was booted out because I am gay and that is what I was told by Amos. So I couldn't care less for the silly back biting you refer to. You weren't there so you don't know.

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
I can't help but pick at this one, but if you are gay and if someone said that homosexuality is a disease, you've been called diseased and that is calling someone names, the same as 'ignorant' for example. Surely?

What skunk said. I think it's important for one to be able to express opinions, but there is a line. Calling someone "queer" or "fag" are examples.

As a side note, all the drama on MR as of late is getting to me. I deleted my OP that you quoted due to obvious reasons. I'm out, for tonight at least.

MACDRIVE, I would suggest a hearty dose of narcotic medication.

MACDRIVE

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
Clovis, California
MACDRIVE, I would suggest a hearty dose of narcotic medication.

LOL!!!
rofl5.gif
Why do you say that?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
What you're suggesting I was banned because they were criticised publicly so they just censored me by banning me from their forum? Yeah right, I was told this one on one. That whole scenario that you refer to was concocted so they could publicly justify banning me. In fact it was Amos (aka Currawong) who made the statement. So don't run to the defence of a couple of red necks because you have some kind of affiliation to them and tell me to grow up.

I did a lot for that forum in their growth period and was booted out because I am gay and that is what I was told by Amos. So I couldn't care less for the silly back biting you refer to. You weren't there so you don't know.

It looks like someone got caught lying. Ooopsy.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
yep, unless they are homophobic, but don't have anything against transgendered pansexuals :0 I have no idea what Bern is talking about, reading over his posts he was inflammatory and rude to the mods publicly anf foul play was obviously at work, whether he wants to blame it on the fact that he has some illusion that they banned him for being gay or not it's obvious there's far more to it at work than what meets the eye, so why don't we all let bygones be bygones and stop slagging people off you were banned, deal with it and move on.

You weren't there so you don't know.

An assumption.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.