Barclays Anticipating 'Imminent' Support for Apple Pay in United Kingdom

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

MacRumors has learned that a high-level executive at Barclays, one of the largest banks in the United Kingdom, anticipates "imminent" support of Apple Pay in the country. Apple Pay in the U.K. is expected to go live on Tuesday, although it remains unclear if Barclays will be a first wave launch partner because of its delayed negotiations with Apple about the mobile payments service.

Apple confirmed at WWDC last month that Apple Pay will be available in the U.K. in July, but stopped short of providing a specific launch date. Recently released employee training documents have suggested the launch could come next week, on July 14, and some Santander customers were able to add their cards to Passbook for use with Apple Pay and make purchases ahead of that date.

Barclays was notably absent from Apple's list of banks that will support Apple Pay in the U.K. at launch or soon after, which presently includes HSBC, Lloyds Bank, Bank of Scotland, Royal Bank of Scotland, First Direct, Halifax, M&S Bank, MBNA, NatWest, Nationwide, Santander, TSB and Ulster Bank. The bank's subsidiary Barclaycard has offered an Apple Rewards Visa Card for several years.

Barclaycard recently expanded its "bPay" lineup of wearable solutions for contactless payments to include a wristband, key fob and sticker, leading to speculation that Barclays may be electing to use its own mobile payments services as opposed to Apple Pay, similar to how some retailers maintained exclusivity to the CurrentC platform last year. Today's confirmation, however, indicates otherwise.

Article Link: Barclays Anticipating 'Imminent' Support for Apple Pay in United Kingdom

Reactions: Jstuts5797

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
This is great news. I'm going to wait a bit then. I was about to switch banks as I was not going to use their "bPay" solution. Good move Barclays, if true.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
That's good. Barclays seems odd. In my local branch, they replaced all the tellers with "self service machines" bar one teller who's there for business banking. It looks like an arcade now.

Reactions: Oblivious.Robot

Harrycooke

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2012
London/New York
I'm hoping it comes on Monday rather than Tuesday. I'm going into London, and I want to test it out as an Oyster Card replacement. It's a pain sorting though dozens of cards looking for my Oyster Card. :(

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Excellent news. I did buy one of their new 'bPay' wristbands (for £25!!!) it's honestly one of the cheapest-looking products I've ever seen and I don't see how they justify that price. Looking forward to using it though, would rather have an Apple Pay enabled Apple Watch though, which I can have when Barclays support Apple Pay. The wristband is basically an NFC ship the shape and size of a sim card which you slot into the band and wear, for anyone interested. Might try it out for a few days and then see if I can claim a refund under UK law or something cause £25 is a lot of money for this bit of plastic!

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
wtf is this ********?

damage limitation on barclays part. Oh quick reading the forums we are going to loose customers so quick get some news out that means nothing to anyone.

Reactions: PJWilkin

joninlakes

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2015
I'd been with Barclays for about 20 years. Switched my account to First Direct when I heard they weren't going to support Apple pay at launch.
Got £100 from First Direct too, better than forking out £25 for a bpay bracelet...
Got to say I miss Barclays online banking though, they did it very well. Their iOS banking apps were also very good.
May consider switching back if they support Apple Pay.
Come on Barclays! Sort it out and win back your customers!

Azzin

macrumors 601
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
I'd been with Barclays for about 20 years. Switched my account to First Direct when I heard they weren't going to support Apple pay at launch.
Got £100 from First Direct too, better than forking out £25 for a bpay bracelet...
Got to say I miss Barclays online banking though, they did it very well. Their iOS banking apps were also very good.
May consider switching back if they support Apple Pay.
Come on Barclays! Sort it out and win back your customers!
Now you're with First Direct, you will begin to realise quite how **** all the other companies you deal with are, when it comes to customer service.

I've been with FD since the day they launched and would never ever consider switching to another back.

Silver Box

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
If they think im wearing a bracelet (really?!), sticking something on my phone or adding an unnecessary keyfob to my keyring, then they need to seriously rethink. First world problems? Yep, definitely! But hopefully Barclays wont bring another third world solution to a market thats already moved on from "bPay stickers". I mean, come on. Bracelets? This is your last paycheck Barclays... First Direct, 7 day switch and £100 after 3 months is calling.

Azzin

macrumors 601
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
If they think im wearing a bracelet (really?!), sticking something on my phone or adding an unnecessary keyfob to my keyring, then they need to seriously rethink. First world problems? Yep, definitely! But hopefully Barclays wont bring another third world solution to a market thats already moved on from "bPay stickers". I mean, come on. Bracelets? This is your last paycheck Barclays... First Direct, 7 day switch and £100 after 3 months is calling.
Do it and do it NOW.

Reactions: Silver Box

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
I already switched.

I don't expect much from my bank, and I certainly don't expect them to limit the way I spend money.

mikecorp

Suspended
Mar 20, 2008
any news about the rest of the Europe?? I can not wait to ditch everything and use only apple stuff

Cloudane

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Sweet Apple Acres
Along with iMessage and probably Apple themselves, it'll be short lived if the UK government has its way. They're on a massive war against encryption right now, using terrorism as the main bogeyman to sell the idea of having government backdoors in all encryption (which Apple would never stand for). There's no way they'll be happy with the idea of high privacy transactions like this.

Go sign this if you think it's a bad idea. https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/say-no-to-the-investigative-powers-bill?fabsid=7SqOm7Zz0fOK

Reactions: rbrian

RodThePlod

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
Agreed - their iOS banking apps are superb. The only thing I'm waiting for them to add is TouchID support.

Very happy to hear that Apple Pay support is imminent though. They must have really taken note of the chorus of disapproval that accompanied their non-presence in the first wave Apple Pay UK line up. Every story I read about Apple Pay's introduction to the UK mentioned Barclays not being included, and no company likes such negative press.

Reactions: PJWilkin

PJWilkin

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
I'm hoping Barclays are supported on Day 1

However given how they've been dicking about and not made any statements since WWDC I would not be surprised that we see them still unsupported at end of year

If Barclays are not on board on Day 1, perhaps Apple needs to review who they do financing through for people who buy kit on finance. I'm sure other banks would love the chance to get associated with Apple for it

Reactions: mehtdosa11

Totalkharnage

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2010
Halifax UK
If it smells like bullsh1t and looks like bullsh1t, then it's probably bullsh1t.

This stinks of damage limitation on Barclays part. You only have to do a quick search on Twitter to see the massive backlash against both their decision to not support Apple Pay in the first wave and then the launch of their laughable bPay solution. My bet is they saw how many people (including me) had switched banks because of this decision and needed to stem the tide by 'leaking' this news.

If they will indeed support Apple Pay, then that's good news for consumers but until it's officially confirmed by them, I'm not believing it.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Now you're with First Direct, you will begin to realise quite how **** all the other companies you deal with are, when it comes to customer service.

I've been with FD since the day they launched and would never ever consider switching to another back.
I'll +1 on this. I've been with them since they launched way back when and I can honestly say after being with tsb, natwest and abbey they all pail in comparison when it comes to customer service.

Reactions: AdamInKent