Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
I can't stop staring at the Barclays ligature. It's… perplexing.
barclays-ligature-gif.567763

View attachment 567763
Are they in Los Angeles?
Or is it a note to follow so? (Tea, I drink with jam and bread....)
A French article?

nazuk

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2007
England, UK
If they think im wearing a bracelet (really?!), sticking something on my phone or adding an unnecessary keyfob to my keyring, then they need to seriously rethink. First world problems? Yep, definitely! But hopefully Barclays wont bring another third world solution to a market thats already moved on from "bPay stickers". I mean, come on. Bracelets? This is your last paycheck Barclays... First Direct, 7 day switch and £100 after 3 months is calling.

I don't normally comment unless I have to, but First Direct are a fantastic bank. Like others have said, their customer service is brilliant. You won't be disappointed.

As for their mobile apps, yes the Mobile FD App doesn't support Touch ID yet, but during the recent in app hints - it's keep stating get ready for features or something like that. I suspect it won't be long as they are one of the launch partners for Apple Pay.

Seriously, First Direct is a great bank - and that's saying something when it comes to banks.

Reactions: Silver Box

monty77

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2005
UK, South Coast
I'd been with Barclays for about 20 years. Switched my account to First Direct when I heard they weren't going to support Apple pay at launch.
Got £100 from First Direct too, better than forking out £25 for a bpay bracelet...
Got to say I miss Barclays online banking though, they did it very well. Their iOS banking apps were also very good.
May consider switching back if they support Apple Pay.
Come on Barclays! Sort it out and win back your customers!

If (and like others say I doubt you'll want to) you do leave FD I think you get another £100 .. they're that sure you'll stay! :)

1st_Account_product.jpg

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
My banking app supports Touch ID and I find no reason to use it but so many not to.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
It's worth remembering that the time you've been with your bank has a positive effect on your credit rating, so switching can have an impact if you've been with your bank more than a few years, as can switching banks on a regular basis which can be seen as a bad indicator. AFAIK it's not a massive impact, but it's something to be aware of especially if you're maybe just about to apply for a large loan/mortgage.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
It's worth remembering that the time you've been with your bank has a positive effect on your credit rating, so switching can have an impact if you've been with your bank more than a few years, as can switching banks on a regular basis which can be seen as a bad indicator. AFAIK it's not a massive impact, but it's something to be aware of especially if you're maybe just about to apply for a large loan/mortgage.

I can't believe that's true in 2015. Maybe in 1980/90 but not now.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
I can't believe that's true in 2015. Maybe in 1980/90 but not now.

I totally agree with you that this seems misplaced in this day and age, but I queried it with one of the credit agencies when we noticed an advisory comment on my wife's credit report about 3 years ago. She'd recently changed banks and whilst it hadn't made any difference to her actual rating, the notes on the report commented that it could make a difference. I guess it's not as much a matter of changing bank after 20 years being negative, it's more that being with your bank for more than 20 years is seen as a positive.

Plus, I think even current credit applications still ask how long you've been with your current bank.

Reactions: Zxxv

nazuk

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2007
England, UK

Rubbish. Unless your are doing excessive repetitive switching, it will have no impact at all.

The indicators they primarily look for are your history of how you run your accounts, such as.. If you are overdrawn, you stick to your approved overdraft limit or not, your balance history, any defaults, etc.

Only a tiny part of your credit history has anything to do with how long you have had your bank account. Besides, they can see all your previous bank history - how long you may have been with your previous bank 10, 20 years etc and how you ran that account.

It's so 'normal' and expected for people to switch bank accounts, and utility suppliers these days.

Research shows that most people in fact don't switch - that's how the banks like it.

Some people are quite happy to stay with their bank for 30 years, and spend 25 of those years complaining how bad they are - but never leave. Banks dream!!

Reactions: Zxxv

ACDeag

macrumors regular
May 25, 2008
Edinburgh, UK
Now you're with First Direct, you will begin to realise quite how **** all the other companies you deal with are, when it comes to customer service.

I've been with FD since the day they launched and would never ever consider switching to another back.

But FD's online banking looks positively archaic compared with the Barclays version, I use both.

Boomish69

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
London
Wow good news I was about to switch Banks, I see a few have already I’d be interested as a long time Barclays customer how easy or how much better they find it. We use Ping it to send money between us as a family so been holding off switching. Also it seems AP in the UK is limited to £30 like the pin & chip cards! is Apple Pay limited like this in the US? I presumed it had no limit?

Dougie83

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2012
Brum, UK
I don't see Apple Pay as being a big deal especially when having a limit of only £20, or £30 as I have heard in some reports. I'll still need to carry around my other cards to meet payments in excess of its limitations and where Apple Pay isn't supported. I even carry money around in case I want an ice cream or other incidental.

big-ted

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2013
UK
Barclays not supporting Apple Pay from launch has made me to finally decide to move my bank account to one of the launch partners, and hopefully I'll get an app that doesn't randomly think that I'm jailbroken when I'm not

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
But FD's online banking looks positively archaic compared with the Barclays version, I use both.

Having never used Barclays online banking, I can't comment.

However, having been with FD since they day they launched some 20 years ago, I can tell you that no other company I have ever dealt with, comes remotely close to offering the levels of service that FD do.

I find their online banking fine, I log in, I look at balances and pay external bills with ease, so I can't really see how much easier another bank could make it (Note I'm not saying that it can't be done, just that what I want/need to do works just fine).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.