Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Barclays: iPad With OLED Display Unlikely to Launch Until 2022 at Earliest

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last month, Korean website The Elec reported that Apple plans to release new iPad Pro models featuring OLED displays in the second half of 2021, noting that Samsung and LG are already in the process of developing the displays.

However, following recent discussions with Apple suppliers, Barclays analysts Blayne Curtis, Thomas O'Malley, Tim Long, and their associates said that an iPad with an OLED display does not appear to be in the works for 2021. In a new research note, shared with MacRumors, the analysts said a launch is unlikely until 2022 at the earliest.

The timeframe offered by Barclays certainly sounds more reasonable, as many rumors suggest that Apple plans to release at least one iPad Pro model with Mini-LED backlighting in the first half of 2021, and it would seem rather quick for Apple to switch display technologies twice within the same year with the release of OLED models.

Apple already uses OLED displays for the iPhone X and newer and all Apple Watch models, with benefits over LCDs including higher brightness, improved contrast, increased power efficiency, wider viewing angles, and more.

Apple last refreshed the iPad Pro in March, but it was a relatively minor update, with new features including an A12Z Bionic chip that is essentially an A12X chip with an extra GPU core enabled, an Ultra Wide camera, a LiDAR Scanner, and better sounding microphones. Prior to that, the iPad Pro received a major redesign in October 2018, gaining slimmer bezels, Face ID, and a USB-C port instead of a Lightning connector.

Barclays analysts were the first to claim that Apple was planning to stop including a charger with iPhones. In the past, they also accurately revealed True Tone coming to the iPhone 8 and iPhone X, the removal of the headphone jack adapter with iPhone XS and iPhone XR models, and the removal of 3D Touch on all iPhone 11 models.

Article Link: Barclays: iPad With OLED Display Unlikely to Launch Until 2022 at Earliest

Last edited:

James Godfrey

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2011
So 2020 was all about... should I buy the iPad Pro now or wait for the miniLED iPad Pro...

2021 will be should I buy the miniLED iPad Pro or wait for OLED...

At this point I have a funny feeling we may not see a miniLED iPad Pro and Apple may jump straight to OLED in 2022.

Comment

nutmac

macrumors 601
Mar 30, 2004
If you are planning on using iPad for productivity purpose, which could leave static elements for hours, OLED will start to burn. Pro Display XDR's miniLED-style display is far better suited for Macs and iPads.

Comment

Speedy2

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2008
Then what is the point of even using Mini-LED if they are going to go OLED right after? Just use OLED now. 😃

This doesn’t make sense.

Apple has more than one line of iPads, so this could totally make sense to get rid of old LED technology in different ways. These rumours often get the details wrong, in this case it could not be about iPad Pro, but iPad Air.
Apple could also decide to produce one size of iPad Pros with OLED and another one with Mini-LEDs, depending on price, yield and availability.

Comment

Scipster

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2020
C'mon Apple, I've been waiting for the Mini-LED iPad for ages! Now I have to wait for OLED? This is torture hahaha

Somehow I just don't see Apple transitioning to Mini-LED and then to OLED so soon, unless Mini-LED is meant for the iPad Air line, and OLED for the Pro line. I think the Mini-LED followed by Micro-LED transition makes more sense in 3-4 years time.

Comment

nutmac

macrumors 601
Mar 30, 2004
C'mon Apple, I've been waiting for the Mini-LED iPad for ages! Now I have to wait for OLED? This is torture hahaha

Somehow I just don't see Apple transitioning to Mini-LED and then to OLED so soon, unless Mini-LED is meant for the iPad Air line, and OLED for the Pro line. I think the Mini-LED followed by Micro-LED transition makes more sense in 3-4 years time.
Unless you are planning on using iPad in quick short bursts, which is typical of most iPhones, don't. This is an example of what could happen with OLED (store display model):

Comment

CWallace

macrumors G3
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
MicroLED is still probably a latter-half of the decade prospect. Samsung is preparing a 55" MicroLED TV, but it will retail for $70,000.

I could see OLED for iPad Pros and MiniLED for iPad Airs (and eventually iPads). I do not think burn-in is going to be as much of an issue as some fear (and I have owned an OLED TV for years) because there are ways to reduce the chances of it with static images and it also requires significant time (display iPhones, for example, are probably on a static screen all day).

That being said, I still think the rumors of OLED iPads is Samsung and LG trying to "prime the pump" with rumors in the hope it will convince consumers to petition Apple to make it happen. I believe MiniLED is where Apple is going with iPads and M-Series Macs.

Comment

Freida

macrumors 68030
Oct 22, 2010
Mini LED is much better than OLED in many aspects. Its a good stop before we get MicroLED which is still years away. OLED is expensive, has issues and its just flawed tech. I doubt we will see OLED in iPads I think we go with Mini LED for few years and then we go to MicroLED.

Then what is the point of even using Mini-LED if they are going to go OLED right after? Just use OLED now. 😃

This doesn’t make sense.

Comment

giggles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2012
OLEDs can fold, miniLED not so much
a foldable iPhone is expected for 2022
a foldable iPhone has to be OLED-based
a foldable iPhone may be roughly as big as an iPad Mini
the supply chain rumors may be mistakenly assuming that some parts (namely a 7-8” OLED screen) are meant for an iPad when in reality they could be meant for the foldable iPhone
alternatively, OLEDs may be a way to bring emissive tech on cheaper iPads

2021:
- iPad Pros and Macs: miniLED
- current iPad Air: LCD
- new iPad Cheap 10.5”: LCD
- iPhone SE Plus: LCD (XR/11-like)
- iPhone and iPhone Pro: OLED

- no updates to iPad Pros (miniLED)
- new iPad Air: OLED
- new iPad Cheap: LCD (no home button, finally moving to Pencil 2)
- iPhone Fold: big 7-8” OLED

plenty of room for OLEDs (e.g. new Air or iPhone Fold) without contradicting the “moving to miniLED” narrative
it’s not like Apple is new to having their product line fragmented in 2-3 display techs

Comment

Freida

macrumors 68030
Oct 22, 2010
Please no OLED. OLED is just tech that shouldn't have been invented. :)

MicroLED is still probably a latter-half of the decade prospect. Samsung is preparing a 55" MicroLED TV, but it will retail for $70,000.

I could see OLED for iPad Pros and MiniLED for iPad Airs (and eventually iPads). I do not think burn-in is going to be as much of an issue as some fear (and I have owned an OLED TV for years) because there are ways to reduce the chances of it with static images and it also requires significant time (display iPhones, for example, are probably on a static screen all day).

That being said, I still think the rumors of OLED iPads is Samsung and LG trying to "prime the pump" with rumors in the hope it will convince consumers to petition Apple to make it happen. I believe MiniLED is where Apple is going with iPads and M-Series Macs.

Comment

M1Buddy

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2020
Earth
Then what is the point of even using Mini-LED if they are going to go OLED right after?

Last edited by a moderator:
Comment

Freida

macrumors 68030
Oct 22, 2010
I think (and hope) you are wrong. Foldable iPhone is hopefully not going to happen. The concept is so flawed and I hope Apple can see it. What is this obsession with foldable phones? There isn't a single phone on the market that is even remotely resembling any usefulness apart from the gimmick nonsense.
Foldable screens are great and they will have some usage in the future but iPhone is hopefully not going to be one of them.
The way I see it is that its good tech in the wrong application.

Want foldable? Get a notebook. :-D

OLEDs can fold, miniLED not so much
a foldable iPhone is expected for 2022
a foldable iPhone has to be OLED-based
a foldable iPhone may be roughly as big as an iPad Mini
the supply chain rumors may be mistakenly assuming that some parts (namely a 7-8” OLED screen) are meant for an iPad when in reality they could be meant for the foldable iPhone
alternatively, OLEDs may be a way to bring emissive tech on cheaper iPads

2021:
- iPad Pros and Macs: miniLED
- current iPad Air: LCD
- new iPad Cheap 10.5”: LCD
- iPhone SE Plus: LCD (XR/11-like)

- no updates to iPad Pros (miniLED)
- new iPad Air: OLED
- new iPad Cheap: LCD (no home button, finally moving to Pencil 2)
- iPhone Fold: big 7-8” OLED

plenty of room for OLEDs (e.g. new Air or iPhone Fold) without contradicting the “moving to miniLED” narrative
it’s not like Apple is new to having their product line fragmented in 2-3 display techs

Comment

jcshas

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2003
I can wait. My second gen 12.9 is a beast of horsepower.

Love it!
Same. I do love my 2020 12.9, but I might be inclined to "downgrade" to an iPad Air next year because it checks off just about every box for me, and costs less.

Comment

nutmac

macrumors 601
Mar 30, 2004
Such drama queen. So you're not using a recent iPhone either?
iPhone tends to be used in shorter bursts, typically displaying dynamic and random contents. Navigation app is perhaps the most glaring exception.

TV is consumed in longer duration, but also for consuming dynamic contents and games. Exceptions include network logo and banner and games with static elements, both of which should be avoided if possible.

Reactions: rowspaxe
Comment

Freida

macrumors 68030
Oct 22, 2010
Thats correct, I'm not and I don't want to for many reasons. I also don't have OLED TV but I have the flagship SONY LCD tv. The only OLED product I have and use is the Apple Watch.
Mini LED tech is superior to OLED in many ways. OLED is just a wrong stop. Micro LED is the way to go.

Such drama queen. So you're not using a recent iPhone either?

Reactions: Mc0 and xpxp2002
Comment

nexusrule

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2012
Unless you are planning on using iPad in quick short bursts, which is typical of most iPhones, don't. This is an example of what could happen with OLED (store display model):

More than an example of, I would call it a rare occurrence of a non existing use case (always on phone on display in a store).

Reactions: xxray and M1Buddy
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.