Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BMox81

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2014
United Kingdom
So few have USB-C iPad Pros that there’s very little upside to switching. There are upwards of 200 million Lightning iPads—but fewer than 10 million USB-C iPads—in the installed base.

You'd just be transferring the “two cable” requirement from USB-C iPad users to Lightning iPad users.

Not sure what you’re getting at now. What do the iPad Pro users have to do with Apple making the iPhone Pro a USB C device....?

Currently, the iPhone Pro is the only Pro device in the range that isn’t USB-C.

You go Pro, you get C, stick with anything else, you get lightning.

Not much else to add so will leave it there.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Not sure what you’re getting at now. What do the iPad Pro users have to do with Apple making the iPhone Pro a USB C device....?

Currently, the iPhone Pro is the only Pro device in the range that isn’t USB-C.

You go Pro, you get C, stick with anything else, you get lightning.

Not much else to add so will leave it there.
iPad Pro users have a lot to do with iPhone Pro going USB-C, and it’s the same point I’ve been making, now for the third time.

If you’ve got a Lightning iPad, and buy a Pro iPhone with USB-C, now you have to carry two cables. iPhone Pro switching to USB-C only benefits (3rd generation) iPad Pro users, who can now carry one cable.

The number of Lightning iPad users who would need two different cables far outnumbers those who have 3rd gen iPad Pro, who are the only ones who benefit by having both devices USB-C.

200 million Lightning iPad users compared to 10 million USB-C iPad Pro users. Why would Apple disfavor a huge installed base merely to benefit a very, very small minority? Makes no sense.

So yeah, I think we’ll have to leave it there. I can explain it to you, but I can’t understand it for you ?‍♂️

Last edited:

BMox81

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2014
United Kingdom
iPad Pro users have a lot to do with iPhone Pro going USB-C, and it’s the same point I’ve been making, now for the third time.

If you’ve got a Lightning iPad, and buy a Pro iPhone with USB-C, now you have to carry two cables. iPhone Pro switching to USB-C only benefits (3rd generation) iPad Pro users, who can now carry one cable.

The number of Lightning iPad users who would need two different cables far outnumbers those who have 3rd gen iPad Pro, who are the only ones who benefit by having both devices USB-C.

200 million Lightning iPad users compared to 10 million USB-C iPad Pro users. Why would Apple disfavor a huge installed base merely to benefit a very, very small minority? Makes no sense.

So yeah, I think we’ll have to leave it there. I can explain it to you, but I can’t understand it for you ?‍♂️

I‘ve understood everything you’ve said, but it still doesn’t change the fact that to keep everything consistent and uniform within the Pro range, the iPhone Pro would be best suited going USB-C.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
I‘ve understood everything you’ve said, but it still doesn’t change the fact that to keep everything consistent and uniform within the Pro range, the iPhone Pro would be best suited going USB-C.
No, it wouldn’t. There’s nothing to be gained by doing so. Many more people would be inconvenienced than those who would find it more convenient. That’s a net negative.

If only those who had 3rd gen iPad Pros bought iPhone Pro, you would have a point. But that’s not the case. Everyone but 3rd gen iPad Pro users loses.

Better that the few 3rd gen iPad Pro customers carry the extra cable, rather that 5 or 10 times as many Lightning iPad customers do so. There’s no upside to your proposal, only downside.

Reactions: I7guy

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
1 or 2 charges plus a further two days for a phone like the pro max. So really would tasks and where would people be going where 4 days on a charge wouldn't fit most people's needs?
In the cases I JUST outlined where a battery case doesn't work... You clearly have never used your phone for any kind of film production work. Lenses, gymbals, drone adaptors do not function with a battery case attached to your phone.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
In the cases I JUST outlined where a battery case doesn't work... You clearly have never used your phone for any kind of film production work. Lenses, gymbals, drone adaptors do not function with a battery case attached to your phone.
If you are using a device for those kind of tasks you don’t use a phone for that but each to their own

That kind of usage is like 1% of people anyway...so Apple sure as hell won’t care about those kind of usages

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.