Barclays: iPhone 12 Pro and Pro Max Will Likely Have 6GB of RAM, iPhone SE 2 Production to Begin February

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Barclays analyst Blayne Curtis and his associates recently traveled to Asia to meet with manufacturers within Apple's supply chain, and today they shared their expectations for 2020 iPhones based on information they gathered.

In a research note viewed by MacRumors, the Barclays analysts said the iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max will likely have 6GB of RAM, up from 4GB in the iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max. They also expect both models to feature rear-facing 3D sensing and mmWave support for higher-performance 5G.

The base model iPhone 12 is expected to have 4GB of RAM, equal to the iPhone 11. While the iPhone 12 is also expected to be 5G enabled, the analysts did not indicate whether the device will support mmWave, sub-6GHz, or both.

Last, the analysts indicated that the so-called "iPhone SE 2" is still in the pipeline, with production apparently set to begin in February. The lower-cost device is expected to resemble the iPhone 8, including a 4.7-inch display and Touch ID home button, but with a faster A13 chip and 3GB of RAM.

iPhone 12 models will likely be introduced in September as usual, while the new lower-cost iPhone is expected around March.

Barclays has proven to be a largely reliable source of information.

Article Link: Barclays: iPhone 12 Pro and Pro Max Will Likely Have 6GB of RAM, iPhone SE 2 Production to Begin February

one more

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
What about that rumoured 5.4” model, or is it going to replace the current 5.8” Pro?

Apart from that, RAM increase and faster chips with every new generation is totally expected, just as it is with the computers. The software becomes more and more complex, requiring more and more system resources. This is a never-ending race.

Last edited:

alpi123

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2014
Really, really hope the 3D sensing rear cameras would be used for better Portrait shots, except the usual AR stuff that Apple talks about but minority of us use.

GeoStructural

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
Is iOS not as resource efficient now as before? There's been some large RAM increases in recent years.

FaceID maybe?
My guess is the 3D sensing and Virtual Reality features, rendering realistic VR at high resolution is resource-intensive.

The three cameras also shooting at several exposures at the same time before and after triggering the button... and combining them, that’s got to be a lot of memory.
- - Post merged: - -

I hope this is the year they finally switch to USB-C.
I won’t be upgrading if they don’t.

A midnight blue would be awesome. 👍
Midnight blue and red 😍

Reactions: Stella and JosephAW

Dwalls90

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2009
I know this is wishful thinking, but I hope the “iPhone SE2” has a dual lens camera set up.
Unlikely. It’ll probably resemble the single camera setup from the iPhone XR.

Is there a technical benefit to doing so? Is there some functionality they cannot provide with lightning but can with USB-C?
As someone who owns a MacBook Pro, iPhone and iPad, having all your Apple devices on the same charging/connectivity interface would be a huge advantage to being in the ecosystem. Their computers and iPads have already started transitioning over.