Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is widely expected to release four new iPhone 12 models later this year, and ahead of time, analysts at British bank Barclays have outlined their expectations for the devices based on discussions with multiple Apple suppliers.

Barclays-iP12-remove-charger-earpods.jpg

In a research note obtained by MacRumors, the Barclays analysts said that iPhone 12 models will not come with EarPods in the box, in line with a prediction shared by Ming-Chi Kuo last month. Oddly enough, the analysts also heard that iPhone 12 models might not ship with a power adapter of any kind, leaving only a USB-C to Lightning cable in the box.

While there would certainly be environmental benefits to Apple not including a power adapter with the hundreds of millions of iPhones it sells each year, such a move would obviously be inconvenient for customers without a spare USB-C charger. Apple's basic 5W power adapter can be purchased separately for $19, while the 18W power adapter included with iPhone 11 Pro models can be purchased for $29.

Earlier this week, the anonymous Twitter user Mr. White shared photos of a 20W power adapter that he suggested will be included with iPhone 12 models, which clearly contradicts with what Barclays analysts are hearing.

Barclays estimates that mass production of iPhone 12 models is four to six weeks behind schedule compared to a usual year. The analysts believe that Apple will still announce the new lineup in September, but at least some models might not be available to order until October or November, as was the case with the iPhone X and iPhone XR in recent years.

The analysts expect the two higher-end iPhone 12 Pro models to feature a triple-lens camera system with a LiDAR Scanner, first introduced on the iPad Pro. This would pave the way for new augmented reality experiences.

Barclays also said that it has heard about a potential iPad Pro refresh later this year, but it has no further details right now.

Last, the analysts expect third-generation AirPods to launch in early 2021.

Barclays analysts have a mixed track record in relation to Apple rumors. Their accurate predictions have included True Tone coming to the iPhone 8 and iPhone X, the removal of the headphone jack adapter with iPhone XS and iPhone XR models, and the removal of 3D Touch on all iPhone 11 models, while they were incorrect about the iPhone XS possibly having a smaller notch and the base iPhone 11 having 4x4 MIMO.

Article Link: Barclays on iPhone 12 Lineup: No EarPods in Box and Possibly Not Even a Charger

Last edited:

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2017
If that makes it cheaper I don't mind.
What are those "analysts" predictions as to the price range? I'm more interested in that.
With the pandemic unemployment is on the rise across the world and people in general have lost income. Will Apple take that into consideration when pricing the new iPhone lineup? I'm afraid they won't sell the new products as they would like or expected to if they increase or keep the price range as it is now for the Pro/Pro Max models.

Last edited:

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I heard a rumour the iPhone box will not contain an iPhone. The box will be empty. No phone, no charger, and no earbuds.

They actually ship the box with no air inside, either. Purchasers have plenty of air already and can just supply their own.
[automerge]1593093741[/automerge]
I thought US federal law *mandates* the inclusion of a hands-free piece with all handsets sold in the country. I could have sworn I read this many years ago, but now I'm having a hard time finding where I read that.

No such law.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Honestly, not including all these accessories in the box and having them as optional extras sounds like a win to me. Most people have chargers and headphones already, filling every box with e-waste is not a responsible move.

I get that people will perceive it as Apple trying to double-dip on sales, but if they price things just right and explain that the cost hasn't actually gone up, they could frame it as a win (i.e. only pay for what you need, if you have a charger and earphones then you can save $20 or whatever they cost).

Sasparilla

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2012
Can't see them dropping the charger and it'd be odd for them to drop the earpods since Apple Music is one of their businesses they want to push (doing such a thing would be very Google - I think they've left earbuds out on 2 different Pixels, the 3 had them).

Both things call to the circular logic of leaving power chords, keyboards and mice out of computer boxes as well - since everyone has them.

Last edited:
Reactions: u+ive

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
People getting up in arms over the possible chance from one guys guess.

I'm cool without the inclusion of such. I have more iPhone accessories than I'll ever use. At least a half dozen headphones and chargers sitting unopened. They'll just end up in the landfill.

Bring your excess chargers to your local coffee shop, hotel, hospital, etc. They’ll be happy to take them, because people are always looking for chargers when they are in these places.

apparatchik

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2008
I thought US federal law *mandates* the inclusion of a hands-free piece with all handsets sold in the country. I could have sworn I read this many years ago, but now I'm having a hard time finding where I read that.

The Google Pixel ships without earphones since the line debut, Im ok with the iPhone shipping without one, letting you buy whichever you like most or use an existing one. I have plenty of chargers as well but I think for new comers a 18-20w PD charger on the box is long overdue, as is a usb-c lightning cable.

Reactions: Pirate!

yossi

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2004
The fact that they still show a smaller notch, when every recent leak has the standard size notch tells me these guys have no clue what they are talking about

Reactions: RedGT
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.