Barclays Predicts 2018 iPhones Won't Come Bundled With Lightning to Headphone Jack Adapter

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 30, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple's widely rumored trio of new iPhone models expected to launch in September might not include a Lightning to 3.5mm Headphone Jack Adapter in the box, according to Barclays analyst Blayne Curtis and his associates.

[​IMG]

"We currently model no dongle this year," the analysts predicted, in a research note obtained by MacRumors today.

Cirrus Logic would be the primary loser within Apple's supply chain, as a supplier of audio-related components inside of the adapter. Barclays has lowered its quarterly and yearly revenue guidance for the company by up to five percent, for the time being, but that could change if they hear otherwise.

At this point, it appears that the Barclays analysts are merely guessing that the adapter will no longer be bundled, as in previous research notes, they have mentioned it may take until May or June to find out for certain.

Barclays does have some credibility in this area, as last year, the investment bank accurately predicted that Apple would continue to include the adapter in the box alongside the iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X. The analysts routinely visit with Apple's supply chain partners in Asia to gather information like this.

"We believe it stays this year but goes away at some point, potentially in the 2018 model," the analysts said back in April 2017.

Apple eliminating the headphone jack starting with the iPhone 7 was a controversial decision, but the adapter has at least helped ease the transition. Its inclusion has always felt temporary, and as AirPods and other wireless headphone become more widespread, Apple may no longer feel the need to bundle the dongle.

Apple still sells the Lightning to 3.5mm Headphone Jack Adapter for $9 as a standalone accessory, which is cheap by its standards, so customers that prefer to use wired headphones won't be forced to pay too much extra whether the adapter is removed from the iPhone box this year or at a later time.

Article Link: Barclays Predicts 2018 iPhones Won't Come Bundled With Lightning to Headphone Jack Adapter

2. nfl46 macrumors 604

3. jkdsteve, Apr 30, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2018

jkdsteve macrumors member

Considering the price charged for these devices....it's entirely bizarre Apple might do this. I mean, I love my AirPods but who the heck buys lightning earphones?

Maybe put USB-C on the device...

4. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

I wish iPhone would get on the USB-C train. Lightning is old hat.

5. djeeyore25 macrumors 6502

djeeyore25

Which iPhone will be the first to include wireless headphones?

6. thenewyorkgod macrumors member

lose the dongle? then include airpods.

Why not leave a charger out of the box while you're at it?

7. that be me macrumors 6502

So in other words, buy dongles now at 8 bucks a pop, sell them later when apple inevitably raises the price.

8. pat500000 macrumors G3

pat500000

Apple is SIRI-ously losing its “think different” swag. It’s more like “think twisted” or “think negativity.”

9. CPark98 macrumors member

I don’t mind this. I’ve been on the Bluetooth train for some time now and I’m loving it. The transition has been going on since 2016 and I think it’s time to take the training wheels off.

10. citysnaps macrumors 68040

And people reflexively assume and respond as if this rumor is fact.

11. yoz-y macrumors member

yoz-y

This would not surprise me in the least bit.

They do include the lightning EarPods though.

12. b11051973 macrumors 6502

I had a 7 and now have a X. I don't think I've used the adapter once. I use Bluetooth everywhere. Not having to deal with wires is the best.

13. DNichter macrumors 603

DNichter

Don't see this as a big deal. Been a few years now and I would suspect those that want a dongle, have one. Otherwise they use the lightning earpods or bluetooth.

14. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

Or, they may come bundled with the adapter ......

#CallMeTheNewMingChiKuo

15. HobeSoundDarryl, Apr 30, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2018

HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Hooooray! About time. We consumers that care about best sounding audio really want to pay extra so we can hear it. Truly a dream come true. I wish they hadn't waited so long.

Now, please, please, please Apple: Eject the internal battery next. That will let you have your 5 seconds to tout "Thinnest & lightest iPhone ever," ship the first 2 generations without an internal battery but WITH your own battery case (putting battery case makers out of business), then cease including a battery case 3 generations from now.

Keep the iPhone price the same or raise it (we prefer the latter of course). Then, sell us only your battery case starting with that 3rd generation. Don't worry: while some of us will whine about this move, the bulk will just fall right in line because whatever you decide is best for all of us IS actually best for all of us. Don't be fooled by naysayers who offer counterpoint. They know that whatever a corporation decides is actually best for all consumers: "$2XX Billion in the bank can't ever be wrong"

Ideally, roll out Lightning 2 right before you stop including a battery case in the box and be slow about approving third parties for Lightning 2 accessories, so that only YOUR battery case can power the iPhone that rolls out with Lightning 2. Charge as much as you want because you'll be the only supplier. Again, don't worry: while some will whine about this, the bulk will work overtime spinning it as best for everyone and shouting down anyone who "thinks different." Unlike this headphone adapter, you can make even more money from us because ALL of us will need to buy a battery case.

Tweak the wireless charging standards, patent the tweaks and basically repeat with the slow licensing, so that only an Apple wireless charging pad is also sold as an add-on accessory.

Then, repeat this tactic with the camera. Shift it out to an add-on module, include it for a generation or two, then roll out several ("collect them all") camera modules at premium prices and stop including any camera module in the box. Make sure the camera module connector is proprietary and do the slow licensing thing so that only Apple camera modules are available for purchase for months after launch. And again, do not cut the price of the phone itself. We would MUCH rather you INCREASE the price so we can keep slinging around "but who makes the most profitable phone" in all those market share threads.

In both scenarios, raise the price of the phones and just lengthen the payment plan terms so that you and some of "us" fans can spin seemingly cheap monthly payments "it's only $X.XX more per month." That the payment plan people are on the hook for 36 or 48 or 60+ months doesn't matter- just get the payment amount low enough so that any higher price can sound like it's not much higher spread over ever-lengthened payment time tables.

The future is bright! All hail the Apple. ;)

16. acorntoy macrumors 65816

I’ve heard that Apple plans a radical new move, integrating the adapter into the phone itself and calling it an Apple jack. This will further simplify things and create a more “it just works approach”. Oh wait........ :apple::p

17. joshuamj macrumors newbie

Lolll none of us should be surprised. Speaking of dongles, every hotel I visit still has an alarm clock / speaker with the 30-pin connection LET'S TALK ABOUT THAT.

18. WWPD macrumors regular

WWPD

First Tim gets rid of the earpod case, now the dongle. The next thing to go will be the stickers...nooooo!

19. Costino1 macrumors 6502a

Costino1

You done?

20. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

21. Dave245 macrumors 603

Dave245

Doesn’t surprise me they have included them since the 7 and 7 Plus which has given people enough time to buy either wireless earphones or lightning ones. The AirPods are really popular anyway and I wouldn’t be surprised if the majority of people are using them so no real need to include an adapter that the majority of people won’t use.

22. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I wonder what the environmental cost is of producing hundreds of millions of Lightning cables, power adapters, EarPods and dongles to include with every iPhone.

It probably will never happen, but I'd prefer to see the iPhone sold on its own for a lower price with the option to add accessories you need at the time of purchase. I presume there's some legal requirement for including a charger at the moment? I would guess most people would opt for less than what comes in the box.

23. ipponrg macrumors 6502a

It's just a prediction, but would you be surprised if it did happen?

Apple is going after PROFITS. They can charge the same on the iPhone and make a fraction more on profits per unit sold. It's the recent Apple way :D

24. JPack macrumors 68030

JPack

25. Phone Junky macrumors 65816

Wake up. I think you're dreaming.