Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
Thanks, I’ve been thinking about some wireless headphones for a while and think the AirPods are kinda overpriced BUT, they seem incredibly popular and are one cool little gadget! I’ve tested out some makes including Beats and don’t like their sound. I prefer the more natural sound that Apple goes for.

Plus I’ll be moving to the iPhone X or 11 later this year.

One thing to note, I don't know if you use public transit or not, but I've found that here in Seattle, the AirPods get plenty loud to drown out the noise of the streets, commute, etc. I've also used them on a recent flight and found that they are fine for that as well.

My only "complaint" is that the battery life could be a little better when using them for calls, but honestly that's only if I'm being very picky. I listen to a lot of music on them and they last quite a bit longer for just music as opposed to music and calls. I'm guessing it has something to do with the beam-forming microphones.

Reactions: apolloa

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
Have you checked locally? I see new sealed space gray Homepod on CL for $225.

That's a damn fine price. There are a couple here on CL that people are attempting to sell for over the Apple price. I'm not sure if they thought they would be scarce on launch or not, but certainly no one is going to buy them @ that.

If I could find a second one @ 225 I'd be all over it.

Ronald Reagan

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2016
Not surprised about HP. If Apple had made it battery powered, made a massive improvement to Siri, and included stereo pairing from the get-go they may have had a hit. Sadly, they missed the mark badly. It’s just a expensive, mediocre wired Bluetooth speaker. Big deal. Not innovative and I’m not interested.

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Siri is a problem for ALL Apple devices.... so many simple things it cannot do... why can't I tell my phone to do something on my TV? Why can't my TV do things on my phone?

Siri needs to be an iCloud service that works exactly the same no matter which of your devices/computers you access it through.

When Siri was a cloud service everyone complained that you needed a connection for it to work feared sending information to Apple. Now that it is processed mostly on the device it’s a problem.

jgelin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2015
St Petersburg, FL
Home pod? Sounds like one of those ‘small houses’ that they show on the TV... LOL
Sounds like a cool device, but after seeing all the limitations I am good with my dumb stereo that gains intelligence by being connected to the AppleTV.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
A question for AirPod owners, as I can’t go and try them in my ear lugs! How close is the fit to the standard earphones Apple supplies?

They fit exactly the same to me. I knocked one out trying to get my hair out the way the other day but that's not an everyday problem or anything. I love my Airpods.

These work great when you need to insure they don't fall out (working out etc).
https://www.amazon.com/EarBuddyz-Ai...id=1520641288&sr=8-1&keywords=ear+buddies+2.0

Reactions: apolloa

citysnaps

Suspended
Oct 10, 2011
One thing to note, I don't know if you use public transit or not, but I've found that here in Seattle, the AirPods get plenty loud to drown out the noise of the streets, commute, etc. I've also used them on a recent flight and found that they are fine for that as well.

My only "complaint" is that the battery life could be a little better when using them for calls, but honestly that's only if I'm being very picky. I listen to a lot of music on them and they last quite a bit longer for just music as opposed to music and calls. I'm guessing it has something to do with the beam-forming microphones.

I use my AirPods for phone calls everyday. That’s where they really shine. I would buy them just for that!

The reason battery life is less, is that on phone calls AirPods are doing twice as much work: ie receiving audio from the person you’re talking to via your phone, and, transmitting your voice to your phone.

woodynorman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
If Apple would drop the price to under $100 and improve Siri, these would fly off the shelf.

According to a recent report, the HomePod costs Apple $216 each to build. I don't believe that includes R&D and everything else that goes into getting it into your living room. They have it priced right according to the build cost. Its still overpriced, IMO. But I don't listen to much music so I couldn't care less.

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
I use my AirPods for phone calls everyday. That’s where they really shine. I would buy them just for that!

The reason battery life is less, is that on phone calls AirPods are doing twice as much work: ie receiving audio from the person you’re talking to via your phone, and, transmitting your voice to your phone.

Absolutely. I think the first time I used them in that capacity was for FaceTime on my MacBook Pro and heard the "dun da da dun" noise and thought "what was that?" I'd never heard the low battery chime before. And honestly, I've only heard it one other time since then.

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
I said this before, AirPods are an excellent product and a hit because not only they have reasonably good sound quality,charge time and a great design,but they are not locked to Apple product and services only.
With HomePod, Apple showed greed, and decided to lock them to their own service only.
No Bluetooth support (unlike AirPods).
It only works with Apple Music and AirPlay.
It biting them back,it's a flop because of these stupid restrictions.

Why shouldn't be able to use HomePod the same way they use AirPods?

femike

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
The times I have walked past the local Apple Store nobody even looking at the HomePods on the tables. Its just too expensive here for what it does.

Williesleg

Cancelled
Oct 28, 2014
Yeah, I went over to Best Buy and listened to the Google Home Max, the one they're all saying is "the best" and it really didn't sound good. I'd imagine the Apple thing would be +/- a little bit, which would be a real problem for how much it costs.

Fact is, you just can't get away from the physics of multiple speakers with good separation, or with good quality components of a good size. I went over to the Magnolia Home Theater section in our Best Buy and listened to some really high quality speakers, what a difference.

I guess it's all about what sounds acceptable for the price. And what's the most flexible.

Askolan

Suspended
Feb 21, 2017
Because Siri is rubbish and it can't even do the same tasks as Siri on the iPhone.

I too blame Siri. The HomePod has so much potential that is being weighed down by it.

On the other hand, I love my AirPods, IMO the best new product Apple has put out.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I said this before, AirPods are an excellent product and a hit because not only they have reasonably good sound quality,charge time and a great design,but they are not locked to Apple product and services only.
With HomePod, Apple showed greed, and decided to lock them to their own service only.
No Bluetooth support (unlike AirPods).
It only works with Apple Music and AirPlay.
It biting them back,it's a flop because of these stupid restrictions.

Why shouldn't be able to use HomePod the same way they use AirPods?

The Apple Watch had a slow adoption rate in the beginning as well. Today, I think anyone would be hard-pressed to argue that they aren’t successful.

I believe homepods will follow a similar adoption curve as well. That it is limited to iPhones (similar issue with Apple Watch) won’t be the debilitating weakness people seem to be making it out to be.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!

They fit exactly the same to me. I knocked one out trying to get my hair out the way the other day but that's not an everyday problem or anything. I love my Airpods.

These work great when you need to insure they don't fall out (working out etc).
https://www.amazon.com/EarBuddyz-Ai...id=1520641288&sr=8-1&keywords=ear+buddies+2.0

Thanks :) I don’t use public transport really but it will be good to block out background noise in a office for example.
I like those attachments.

I notice generally AirPod owners have nothing but good to say about them, a good product.

Reactions: Ladybug

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Apple stopped selling ads and how do you thing Google tailors your ads? Using all you personal information. They make money by "personalizing" your apps.

Get out of here!

You misunderstand what personal information means.

Google uses non identifiable data, which is not your personal information.

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
The times I have walked past the local Apple Store nobody even looking at the HomePods on the tables. Its just too expensive here for what it does.

To be fair they said the same about the Apple watches when they came out and they’ve been a hit.

Also it doesn’t have a screen so how much looking at it can you do lol.

Bolt1982

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2013

Barclays analyst Blayne Curtis and his associates recently spent a week in Asia meeting with companies within Apple's supply chain, and today they shared research on iPhones, AirPods, and the HomePod gathered from their trip.

homepod-airpods-800x602.jpg

In terms of AirPods, the analysts expect Apple will continue to increase production of the wireless earphones. Barclays forecasts that AirPods shipments will likely approach 30 million units in 2018, within the ballpark of KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo's estimate of 26-28 million units.

AirPods remain backordered on Apple's online store, with orders placed today estimated for delivery within 12 to 13 days in the United States and several other countries. The wireless earphones have been in short supply since December after availability briefly improved during the fall months.

The lengthy shipping estimates for AirPods suggests Apple may still be having difficulties manufacturing the wireless earphones, can't keep up with strong demand, or is dealing with some combination of those two factors.

Apple doesn't disclose AirPod sales, but chief executive Tim Cook said the company's total revenue from wearables was up almost 70 percent year over year. Apple's broad "Other Products" category, including AirPods, Apple TV, and Apple Watch, set a new all-time record with $5.5 billion in revenue last quarter.

In contrast with the popularity of AirPods, Barclays says HomePod sales have been "underwhelming" so far. The research note says Apple planned an initial production run of 6-7 million units, but it's unclear how many have sold.

Apple will soon release a wireless charging case for AirPods to be used with its upcoming AirPower charging mat. Beyond that, Bloomberg reported that Apple may release new AirPods with "Hey Siri" functionality as early as this year, and a subsequent pair with water resistance as early as next year.

Barclays also believes Apple will release a new pair of AirPods in early 2019, but it's unclear if they are referring to the pair with "Hey Siri" functionality or the subsequent water-resistant ones.

And for the HomePod, a relatively sketchy rumor out of China suggests Apple may release a smaller version of the speaker later this year for between $150 and $200 in the United States. No further details were provided.

The research note corroborates Apple's widely rumored plans to launch a new iPhone X, a so-called iPhone X Plus, and a lower-priced 6.1-inch iPhone X-like device with some design compromises such as an LCD instead of OLED display, 3GB of RAM instead of 4GB, a single-lens rear camera, and no 3D Touch.

An excerpt from the research note, edited slightly for clarity:The information about the new iPhones is entirely in line with research previously shared by KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

Article Link: Barclays Says AirPods Continue to Grow, HomePod Sales Have Been Underwhelming

Flat out all it can do is play music off Apple Music, if you want Spotify, you need to Airplay from your iPhone... it can’t really do much, like Google Home and Alexa, you say it’s sales are underwhelming, release it more countries, if you can release an iPhone in like 10-15 countries on release day why can’t you a speaker, why you didn’t release in Canada yet is beyond me

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
In regards to the HomePod sales figures I doubt Barclays is right. If it is underperforming, I would assume Apple already would have start rolling it out to the rest of the world to decrease its stock.

tubular

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2011
Having to delay the HomePod past the holidays surely didn't help, and having the lack of stereo pairing hurt too. But I think the main thing hurting the HomePod is that -- even on a forum like this one -- it's being lumped in with Echo, being considered as a voice-operated assistant first rather than what it is, which is a speaker first.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
The Apple Watch had a slow adoption rate in the beginning as well. Today, I think anyone would be hard-pressed to argue that they aren’t successful.

I believe homepods will follow a similar adoption curve as well. That it is limited to iPhones (similar issue with Apple Watch) won’t be the debilitating weakness people seem to be making it out to be.
The same thought had occurred to me, but I think it’s wrong. Here’s why:

1. Apple is promoting HomePod on the basis of it’s excellent sound. It’s an expensive loudspeaker first.
  2. Loudspeakers have existed in many forms for decades: Bookshelf, soundbar, home theater, Bluetooth, portable, Hi-Fi, etc.
  3. All speakers, past and present, are components in “open systems”. You can mix and match music sources and speakers.
  4. As a result, there is a deeply-ingrained expectation of “plug-and-play”.
OTOH, smart watches have no history, so there’s no preconceived expectation to satisfy. It’s easier to characterize iPhone dependency as “tight integration” and sell that as a benefit to the consumer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.