Base 2019 13-Inch MacBook Pro Teardown Reveals Larger Battery, Soldered-Down SSD, and Updated Keyboard Material

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 12, 2019 at 5:35 AM.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

iFixit has shared a teardown of the new entry-level 13-inch MacBook Pro, which was refreshed this week with Intel's latest 8th-generation processors, a True Tone display, Touch Bar, Touch ID, and the Apple T2 security chip.

[​IMG]

The teardown reveals a larger battery with a 58.2 Wh capacity, which slightly exceeds the 54.5 Wh battery found in the previous-generation function key model. iFixit guesses this is how the 2019 model manages to power the Touch Bar, Touch ID, and T2 chip while keeping the same 10-hour battery life.

To make room for the Touch ID sensor alongside the Touch Bar, iFixit notes that Apple appears to be using a slightly smaller heat sink. The speaker opposite the fan also looks to have been shrunk in size.

While the previous-generation entry-level 13-inch MacBook Pro had a modular SSD, storage is soldered down in the 2019 model. However, there are some newly modular components, including the Thunderbolt board and the speakers. This configuration is in line with other modern MacBook Pro designs.

As we confirmed earlier this week, the notebook has the same third-generation butterfly keyboard with updated material as the higher-end 2019 MacBook Pro models introduced in May, with Apple promising improved reliability.

[​IMG]

Like most other modern MacBooks, this model earned a low repairability score from iFixit due to the usual concerns, such as Apple's use of proprietary pentalobe screws, a glued-in battery, and soldered-down storage and RAM. One positive is that the trackpad can be replaced without touching the battery.

Article Link: Base 2019 13-Inch MacBook Pro Teardown Reveals Larger Battery, Soldered-Down SSD, and Updated Keyboard Material

2. bchery21 macrumors 6502a

bchery21

This is mostly likely going to replace the 2009 MBP I've been using. It's time. Photo editing and occasional light video editing...

3. oldmacs macrumors 601

oldmacs

4. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

But I thought this was all changing now that Jony Ive is gone. :p

5. apolloa, Jul 12, 2019 at 5:49 AM
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2019 at 5:55 AM

apolloa macrumors G4

Hmm this is a very interesting machine... put it up to 16GB ram and 512GB SSD and it’s a very very very interesting computer. Expensive but bar the keyboard should last.
    That keyboard though..... is it reliable in its third generation?????...

My 2010 MB Pro is not used anymore really but I’d like a computer. Trouble is I only like the Surface Studio or Surface Book 2 or the new Mac Pro. All ridiculously expensive or not updated enough.

This new small MB Pro though is getting my interest I have to say, because I can plug in an EGPU or external monitor with ease..

Although if it can run the original Crysis 1 and Starcraft 2 in Windows it may not even need an EGPU.

6. satchmo macrumors 68020

I can only hope for a return to laptops with sockets and screws.
    One day...maybe when we have new leadership that truly believes in sustainability and the right to repair.

7. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

With a 15w cpu, relative light weight and better (?) battery power, this seems more and more like the perfect Air (pre 2018) replacement I’ve been waiting for... :)

8. Tech198 macrumors G5

ah.. crap ! Apple's moved to soldered SSD's, Apple really wants to make use of that 0.5% extra space don't they.

9. citysnaps macrumors 601

Why? Since previous SSD MBPs from Apple use a proprietary (and very fast) device.

10. Robnsn2015 macrumors 6502

Low repair-ability and zero upgrade-ability in the name of lightness and thinness.

Gotta love these modern Mac laptops :rolleyes:

11. LordVic macrumors 603

I could have sworn previous MBP's already were soldered.

it's one massive reason I can't recommend any current Apple laptop in a professional workplace setting.

12. chipb macrumors member

Please, please, please stop with the 10 hour battery life crap....my 2017 MBP is lucky to get 4-5 hours at most on a full charge. I have never reached anywhere close to 10 hours, so please, stop typing the words, 10 hour battery life on any Mac.

13. Tech198 macrumors G5

There are still screws on the bottom of the case... Thank goodness you can still open the thing up :)

14. DrJohnnyN macrumors 65816

DrJohnnyN

15. MacFather, Jul 12, 2019 at 5:56 AM
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2019 at 6:05 AM

MacFather macrumors 6502a

MacFather

Not touching any of these until the scissor-switch keyboard is back. And for God's sake, ditch that pitifully small 128GB ssd, it's not 2011 anymore...

16. citysnaps macrumors 601

I sure do! My 2017 MBP delights every time I use it - it's been a workhorse. I'd never go back to a thicker and heavier laptop with legacy ports.

17. enoxon macrumors newbie

enoxon

I will never ever buy a computer with no upgrade-ability or repair-ability, even if it uses very good parts. Can't imagine what my life would have been like were I not able to upgrade - or repair - my 2011 mbp. But to each his own.

18. kreasonos macrumors 6502

19. racerhomie macrumors 6502

racerhomie

The elitists over in Macrumors & other tech sites are hilarious. They never stop to amuse me. Only 1-3% of Mac owners in the mid 2000s ever touched the machines' insides. The data is collected independently with 1000s in sample size & is not from apple. Majority of people want machines to be more integrated, as this allows for machines to be less error prone & more robust.This goes for MacBooks as well. MacBook batteries last 3-4 times longer than 2009, their motherboards have gotten more efficient, and native SSD storage is much faster. I get it some elitist geeks want to touch the insides, and move things around, but that wont happen with Apple. Please make your own laptops or desktops or go to another brand.

20. Robnsn2015 macrumors 6502

Good luck getting it fixed if anything breaks. Also, good luck replacing the battery (and eventually, ALL batteries need replacing).

21. tmmacops macrumors newbie

A lot of manufacturers are going the soldered route, at least with the ultra-portables. I know Lenovo is doing it with their X1/Carbon, and I believe the Extreme...? Even the Lenovo T series [480/490] have memory soldered, and an open slot to add more, but upgradable drives.

I think DELL XPS series are similar, but not positive. Unfortunately, this is the path a lot are going to keep the revenue stream rolling along. They don't want people buying entry level, and doing their own upgrades. Doesn't make sense to me, but then again I don't sell them

22. Robnsn2015 macrumors 6502

It's the iPad-ization of laptops. I guess people just don't care.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 12, 2019 at 6:12 AM ---
    It's one thing to have RAM soldiered down. It's another when you can't remove the battery. I find that very problematic. For example, what happens if the battery starts expanding within the computer?

23. Shanpdx macrumors 68020

CPU launched in Q3'19 looks custom built for Apple. 15W TDP and Quad cores.

24. Jerion macrumors member

It'd be a substantial upgrade, without a doubt. But...

Might find that an iPad Air/Pro and a couple accessories will do the job for less money and less bulk. With a Pencil, full-fat Photoshop, and a decent NLE (if iMovie doesn't do it for you), it'll easily outclass your 2009 MBP in most ways that matter for your mentioned tasks. iOS 13 (iPadOS, whatever) does a whole lot to make the finicky parts of workflows easier (including proper file organization, finally!).

I'd say that the Mac would be a more productive choice, but if you've been content using a decade-old model so far then you probably don't have any really demanding needs that the iPad couldn't serve. Might be worth checking out.

25. Jsameds macrumors 68040

If the machine is user serviceable, you'd take it to an Apple store to get fixed.

If the machine isn't user serviceable, you'd take it to an Apple store to get fixed.