Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aloofman

macrumors 68020
Dec 17, 2002
Socal
Sayhey said:
Let's see, now I have to convince two Dodger fans that Barry is a good guy? IJ ... aloofman ... talk about a tough audience! :eek:

I don't think I'm singling out Barry here, and of course he doesn't owe me anything. If nothing else, a little bit of humility over the years would be the difference between a run on Hank's record being a celebration, or a grinding march, which is what seems to be happening. For all I know that selfishness and stubbornness are part of the focus that has made him a great player.

As for Kent, I've never been under any illusions about him. I thought it was funny when Rick Reilly used Kent as his sounding board against Bonds a few years ago. That's like Dubya calling John Kerry a liar. He might be right, but...

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
moving on.....
Manny being Manny, he was given an extended report time due to family issues, will he be there March 1 or will he skip out on the Red Sox and be Manny. Who thinks Manny will be in a Red Sox uniform by the all star break.

Pittsax

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
thedude110 said:
I like Pittsburgh this year. Their 1 and 2 (and maybe 3) pitchers could be as good as anyone in baseball:

Zach Duke, Oliver Perez, Paul Malholm, Kip Wells and ... TBA.

The lineup is good -- Bay is an all star for years to come, and Sean Casey, Joe Randa and Jeremy Burnitz should take a lot of pressure off the Wilsons. Don't forget the vastly underrated Jody Gerut will get a lot of PT, too.

The Pirates will finish near or above .500 this year, and will probably play a considerable chunk of the season well above .500. If that considerable chunk starts in April, they'll be Wild Card contenders ...
That's what I think every year, and then something happens that completely de-rails the season. Last year it was Perez and Wells forgetting how to pitch.

I do have a much better feeling about the team this time around though, because we actually have a coaching staff that actually knows what they're doing. Hopefully Tracy will be smart enough to give Gerut enough playing time. As for pressure on the Wilsons, it's unfortunate but I think Craig is going to be sitting more often than playing. The one guy you didn't mention who I'm anxious to see is Chris Duffy. He covered center field in his brief stint last season better than anyone has for the Pirates since Andy Van Slyke, and the kid is an absolute burner. I just hope his surgically-repaired hammies hold up.

GO BUCS!!!

[size=-2]*slinks away before he gets hit by a Yankees fan....*[/size]

aloofman

macrumors 68020
Dec 17, 2002
Socal
MacNut said:
moving on.....
Manny being Manny, he was given an extended report time due to family issues, will he be there March 1 or will he skip out on the Red Sox and be Manny. Who thinks Manny will be in a Red Sox uniform by the all star break.

I think Boston could only justify trading Manny if it saved them money AND got them a good bat in return. There's so much of his game not to like, but the man is an RBI machine and they have no one that can replace him. Then there's the huge contract, which few teams would be willing to take on.

If the money issue decides whether they'll be a trade, then I think he'll stay through 2006. Other teams will only want to trade their big contracts for him, and most big-contract players are more overpaid than Ramirez is. He's too good to just dump him, even if he is loopy.

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
The rumor on Manny that made sense to me was when there was talk about him going to Baltimore in return for Tejada, but that has died as a possibility. Boston has to keep Manny now.

aloofman

macrumors 68020
Dec 17, 2002
Socal
Sayhey said:
The rumor on Manny that made sense to me was when there was talk about him going to Baltimore in return for Tejada, but that has died as a possibility. Boston has to keep Manny now.

That one did make sense as a trade between expensive run-producers. Both teams can afford the contracts and would be shipping out an unhappy player. But I remember thinking that Baltimore's front office doesn't seem as forgiving as Boston's. Manny seems to get plenty of leeway in Boston, so almost anywhere else could cramp his style. Besides, Red Sox fans love the drama that he brings.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Not to keep the Barrython going on any longer than necessary, but I think we Dodger fans learned last season about what a first-class, self-centered jerk Jeff Kent can be. Cooperstown material or no, for as long as he believe he's the only player who really tries, he's going to carry negatives into any dugout. Is there another side to the Jeff Kent story? Maybe, but when he tried to explain last season why it should come down to Milton Bradley or him, he still came off as a player who was telling management how to run the organization. For the record, I'm not totally sorry that he won that argument (Bradley is another prima-donna), but when it comes time to consider extending Kent's contract, I have to tell you I won't be broken-hearted if the Dodgers say adios to Mr. Kent, and give some of their young, hungry talent a chance.

aloofman

macrumors 68020
Dec 17, 2002
Socal
thedude110 said:
I know there's supposed to be a :rolleyes: at the end of that comment ... :p

What do you mean? I was being completely serious about that, so an emoticon didn't seem necessary. :cool:

aloofman

macrumors 68020
Dec 17, 2002
Socal
IJ Reilly said:
Not to keep the Barrython going on any longer than necessary, but I think we Dodger fans learned last season about what a first-class, self-centered jerk Jeff Kent can be. Cooperstown material or no, for as long as he believe he's the only player who really tries, he's going to carry negatives into any dugout. Is there another side to the Jeff Kent story? Maybe, but when he tried to explain last season why it should come down to Milton Bradley or him, he still came off as a player who was telling management how to run the organization. For the record, I'm not totally sorry that he won that argument (Bradley is another prima-donna), but when it comes time to consider extending Kent's contract, I have to tell you I won't be broken-hearted if the Dodgers say adios to Mr. Kent, and give some of their young, hungry talent a chance.

I completely agree. The most troublesome thing was that he was calling out teammates through the media, which is a definite no-no in a clubhouse. You'd never see a guy like Robin Ventura do that. Kent was always a short-term fix at second base anyway, much like Nomar is this year. The farm system would seem to have a bounty of young infielders waiting for harvest, so it made sense to go out and get a RBI guy in the short term.

I think the main difference is that Bradley is a problem away from the game too. Kent is a jerk, but AFAIK he never threw anything at a fan or had police come to his house. All else being equal, Bradley was a PR problem in addition to being a clubhouse problem.

SharksFan22

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2003
Bay Area, CA
I think this is the year we start to see a change in the league. The teams that have been winning for the past few years are going to begin their decline, and some of the younger, hungrier teams will begin to emerge:

On the way down - Yankees, Cardinals, Red Sox, Houston
On the way up - Indians, Pirates, Milwaukee

Other random thoughts -

SF Giants - While not a Giants fan, I do love the fact, that they're the one team who's starting outfield average age is STILL older than me. :D
Barry Bonds - Would you PLEASE retire already or close your mouth? Yes, he's the most "disruptive" and game-changing individual in the game, but his story is so old. Just admit you did the 'roids already!
Other steriod players - Nice to see Giambi admit his mistake take his lumps and work his way back to respectability. Anyone notice how the sluggers that didn't admit steroid usage are all out of baseball and/or chronically hurt? Sosa, Gonzales, Thome, etc.

And finally, watch out for the Oakland A's this year. Best offensive talent, pitching and overall balance they've had in years. Could do some real damage!

SharksFan22

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2003
Bay Area, CA
adk said:
Just look at my avatar to see who's going to be a force in the NL central this year. (crossing my fingers and hoping ben sheets stays healthy)

adk - I think you're on to something. Cards are on the way down, Cubs will always be a mess with the overrated Dusty Baker, Cincinnati is still lost and the Pirates aren't quite there yet. I caught some of the Brewer games last year on satellite and that team flat-out hustles. They just need a little experience and I think they'll be a contender.

Why did I suddenly have flashbacks of Harvey's Wallbangers and Stormin' Gorman Thomas?? :)

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
SharksFan22 said:
adk - I think you're on to something. Cards are on the way down, Cubs will always be a mess with the overrated Dusty Baker, Cincinnati is still lost and the Pirates aren't quite there yet. I caught some of the Brewer games last year on satellite and that team flat-out hustles. They just need a little experience and I think they'll be a contender.

Why did I suddenly have flashbacks of Harvey's Wallbangers and Stormin' Gorman Thomas?? :)

Haha. Don't forget Rollie Fingers.

But the Brewers definitely have some up and comers - Ricky Weeks (2B/SS) was great as a rookie, and Derek Turnbow is going to be a great closer. The only thing that worries me is the new first baseman, Prince Fielder. He plays pretty well, but he was ridiculously overweight last season. Hopefully the Brew Crew can get him into shape.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
SharksFan22 said:
I think this is the year we start to see a change in the league. The teams that have been winning for the past few years are going to begin their decline, and some of the younger, hungrier teams will begin to emerge:

On the way down - Yankees, Cardinals, Red Sox, Houston
On the way up - Indians, Pirates, Milwaukee
I don't see the Yankees or Red Sox really falling off the radar just yet, they may decline but they will still be powerhouses, When did the Astros ever go up, they seemed to never even reach the top of the mountain to begin with. The Cardinals are another choke team when it counts can't get it together so to say that they are on the way down is like saying they reached the top to begin with.

Milwaukee wont succeed until the ownership puts money into the team so their players stay, I say the brewers are at least another season or so off.

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
I like the Brewers a lot this year, but I also see a lot question marks. With a rotation of:

Sheets, Davis, Capuano, Okha and God Knows Who, there's a lot of injury history and room for a lot of doubt. Will Sheets give you 200 innings? Okha? Will Davis and Capuano be able to replicate their 2005 numbers? The staff is at least one starter away from being a sure thing.

The offense is talented but young. I like Prince Fielder, I like Richie Weeks, I like JJ Hardy. But I'd like each of them more if they had a full season (or two) under their belts. Right now, you're asking Carlos Lee and Geoff Jenkins to anchor the lineup, and that's asking a lot.

The Cardinals may be weaker, but they're still the team to beat in the Central. And while I won't dispute that the Brewers could make a run a the wild card, I think I'd take the Pirates first.

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
SharksFan22 said:
SF Giants - While not a Giants fan, I do love the fact, that they're the one team who's starting outfield average age is STILL older than me. :D
Wish I could say the same. I think it will be something to watch the all 40-year-old outfield (when Finley plays for Winn) take on those "young whippersnappers" and win. I'll let the gratuitous swipes at Barry pass because I've taken up too much space with his defense. I'll be having a great time cheering him on as he passes Aaron's record, while you'll be cheering whom? Milton Bradley? ;)

And finally, watch out for the Oakland A's this year. Best offensive talent, pitching and overall balance they've had in years. Could do some real damage!
My question is when will the A's be out of the race and willing to deal Zito? I'd like him to stay in the Bay Area and play for a team with a chance to win. :p

SharksFan22

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2003
Bay Area, CA
Sayhey said:
Wish I could say the same. I think it will be something to watch the all 40-year-old outfield (when Finley plays for Winn) take on those "young whippersnappers" and win. I'll let the gratuitous swipes at Barry pass because I've taken up too much space with his defense. I'll be having a great time cheering him on as he passes Aaron's record, while you'll be cheering whom? Milton Bradley? ;)

My question is when will the A's be out of the race and willing to deal Zito? I'd like him to stay in the Bay Area and play for a team with a chance to win. :p

Ah, good point. Rooting for Bradley is an "adventure" to say the least. And my comments about Bonds weren't meant to be derisive per se -- I appreciate the guy's talent and his ability to singularly the course of a game unlike anyone else. Heck, I too would walk him every at bat if I was the opposition's manager! :) Plus, steroids or not, it still takes a ton of skill to hit a 90-mph baseball, let alone hit it 400+ feet. Although I still think Babe Ruth's accomplishment while being hung over most games is more impressive. :p

I think the A's will start slow again and then be right in the mix of things come mid-June, making the idea of trading Zito increasingly difficult.

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
SharksFan22 said:
Ah, good point. Rooting for Bradley is an "adventure" to say the least. And my comments about Bonds weren't meant to be derisive per se -- I appreciate the guy's talent and his ability to singularly the course of a game unlike anyone else. Heck, I too would walk him every at bat if I was the opposition's manager! :) Plus, steroids or not, it still takes a ton of skill to hit a 90-mph baseball, let alone hit it 400+ feet. Although I still think Babe Ruth's accomplishment while being hung over most games is more impressive. :p

I think the A's will start slow again and then be right in the mix of things come mid-June, making the idea of trading Zito increasingly difficult.

Do you think they will try to sign Zito? If they didn't try to sign Mulder or Hudson, I've my doubts they will try to keep Zito and that means they have to move him in a trade or lose him for nothing at year's end. I think given their track record, the A's are likely to trade him, regardless where they are in the standings, by the trading deadline. He's one player I'd love for the Giants to have, but they would unlikely to get the A's to trade him to the cross bay rivals.

I was kidding about Bradley. You have some interesting players over in Oakland with Chavez, Crosby, Kotsay, Harden, and Street. I think the Angels have got to be the favorite in the division, but the A's should be fun to watch.

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
Milwaukee wont succeed until the ownership puts money into the team so their players stay, I say the brewers are at least another season or so off.

Last season was the first season of a decent owner, Mark Attanasio. Before that it was owned by bud selig's daughter who didn't exactly give a rat's ass. But realize that milwaukee is a small market, and the owner is here to make money. Last season Milwaukee had the 4th lowest payroll and finished at .500 (exactly average), which isn't half bad.

Sheets, Davis, Capuano, Okha and God Knows Who, there's a lot of injury history and room for a lot of doubt. Will Sheets give you 200 innings? Okha? Will Davis and Capuano be able to replicate their 2005 numbers? The staff is at least one starter away from being a sure thing.

A lot of the brewer's season will rely on sheets not being hurt for once. I think that Doug Davis doesn't get the credit he deserves, he's a quality pitcher. Also, they picked up some minor league pitching prospect from toronto, who knows if they'll bring him up this year.

The offense is talented but young. I like Prince Fielder, I like Richie Weeks, I like JJ Hardy. But I'd like each of them more if they had a full season (or two) under their belts. Right now, you're asking Carlos Lee and Geoff Jenkins to anchor the lineup, and that's asking a lot.

I totally agree that they need more experience. JJ Hardy is great in the field, but his batting was pretty pathetic last year. Carlos Lee is a pretty good Outfielder, but I am not a fan of Jenkins at all. Either way, both of them aren't that fast, so most of the pressure is going to be put on the centerfielder (Brady Clark I think). Either way, the brew crew looks to be respectably above .500 this year. If they can maintain decent pitching, the brewers can be a playoff contender in a year or two.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.