BaseOne Labs Impact Band

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by mpossoff, Nov 11, 2011.

1. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Anyone rocking this bumper style impact band? Would like to hear some reviews on it.

What I'm looking for is a bumper style that will protect my new white iPhone 4S that will provide good drop protection. From the looks of the drop test video it looks like it provides excellent drop protection.

Anyone using it?

2. hizzaah macrumors 6502

Uuuugly lol.. But to each their own :)

For what it's worth, those are some pretty impressive heights theyre dropping their phone from in that video. They're fairly cheap too. If you pick one up, take some better pics of it!

3. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

4. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

This is huge-er :p

[​IMG]

5. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

lmao who uses that?

6. charks macrumors member

Currently using a black Impactband case on my 4...

- The extra bulk doesn't bother me...and if you have bigger hands it'll definitely give you a better grip.

- Opening for the headphone jack is smallish...so take that into consideration.

- Raised edges of the case can interfere with message typing (letters Q/P etc.) I think the newer cases have tapered the lip to help resolve this.

- I use a generic crystal screen protector from monoprice...and this case does non interfere with the protector.

- Drop protection is fantastic.

- Relatively cheap. Got mine for $20...believe they now retail for $25 on the Base One site.

- I personally think they look great and have had several people ask me where I bought it.

Happy shopping!

7. Minarets macrumors 6502

I just looked them up. I am now interested.

The bulk doesn't bother me, if that drop video they do outside works. Wow.

8. wellok macrumors 6502

It seems to me that if you're adding that much bulk, you'd be better off with something with back protection built in. Am I missing something? I use a bumper but I use it specifically for low profile protection.

9. Minarets macrumors 6502

Right, but most bumpers just keep from scratches laying on tables and such. Most bumpers can't take a fall from 5 feet or so...

10. mpossoff thread starter macrumors 68020

That's what looks great about this bumper. It provides projection and shows the glory of the iPhone, that's if it can take a drop.

11. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Had this case before and it works as advertised mos def.

12. Minarets macrumors 6502

13. mpossoff thread starter macrumors 68020

Just ordered white for my 4S. How is the bulkiness compared to the Otterbox Defender or even Speck Candyshell?

14. Minarets macrumors 6502

when i get a 4s, i will be getting one. lets see pics of your white when you get it, please.

15. Minarets macrumors 6502

16. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

17. mpossoff, Nov 15, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2011

mpossoff thread starter macrumors 68020

I ordered my iBand Sunday. Emailed support yesterday with no response. They don't have phone # on their site but found their phone #, called and left message today.

I'm a stickler for support and expect a prompt response which I haven't gotten from BaseOne Labs. I submitted support ticket and it says that a specific person is handling my request. It shouldn't take more a day to respond to a simple request.

Although I did receive an email notification that my order was placed, I want to know when my order will be shipped. I paid extra shipping for faster transit time.

I'm used to the impeccable support from the likes of Otterbox and Speck. I hate when I call a customer service number it doesn't sound professional like 'You've reached BaseOne Labs support blah, blah...'.

18. rapaleeman macrumors 6502

Yes their support needs some work.
    T broke down a couple of months ago and bought a version 3 of their bumper (with the tapered front for easy typing) the one I got was defective. It took almost 3 weeks of no responses until I got a response.

Yes I was sent a replacement promptly after that, but it took almost 3 weeks.

I should have ordered from Amazon. They are an authorized dealer for them.

Their product is pretty good though. I would prefer covered buttons but other than that the case is great. The newer ones aren't as thick but still provide amazing drop protection which is what I wanted. The tapered front works fine and typing even on the edge of the screen is ok.

Works good overall. I use it when I don't need the extra battery from the Mophie or the rugged from the Survivor.

19. mpossoff thread starter macrumors 68020

How is the bulkiness compared to the Survivor?

20. rapaleeman macrumors 6502

It isn't as bulky since the front and back are open. It feels significantly smaller in hand. Side-by-side it is a lot smaller length-wise but about the same thickness.

The Survivor seems huge since it has the massive corner protection. It thins out towards the middle but it is a huge case, even in hand.

The Impact Band feels pretty compact to me and fits right. The newer one is significantly thinner than it used to be and the tapered front really makes it feel smaller than it really is when typing.

I really only use the Survivor now when I know I am going to be in an environment that is either really dusty or damp. The Impact Band works as a slightly thicker bumper that has some drop protection. The Apple one and basically all of the others out there don't really offer decent drop protection to me.

Again, I wish the buttons were covered on the Impact Band but other than that it works. Basically a Defender or even a Survivor without the dust/screen protection. Basically just for drop protection and that is all I really want out of it.

21. mpossoff thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks, do you use screen protectors?

22. rapaleeman macrumors 6502

Power Support Anti-glare on the front. Works with the Survivor (doesn't stick to the built in screen protector) and it fits with the Impact Band too.

I use a monoprice one on the back. Well, I think that is what is on there currently. It is crappy but protects the back. I used a Lucky Labs on the back for a while but it won't fit in my Mophie case.

Basically the set up I have now works with all my cases that I currently use without removing them. I'm lazy so convenience is what I was after.

23. Minarets macrumors 6502

awesome
    that is what i want as my setup. PS anti glare and impact band. of course, i need my iphone first.

thanks

24. mpossoff thread starter macrumors 68020

Do you know if PS set, ultra fine back and front will work with Survivor or Defender?