Basically this is just a iPhone wrist mirror

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Mabus51, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Mabus51 macrumors 6502

So the Apple Watch isn't technically a timepiece or a smart device. From my understanding, it's mostly just a thin client of your iPhone as it needs the iPhone for the majority of it's functionality to work including setting the time and installing apps. Much like the :apple: TV relies on an iTunes account to do well anything.

I don't see the point of a $400 piggyback device when the iPhone does everything the :apple: Watch does and more. Maybe at $80 or $100 for the screen & activity tracker. But I don't see the functionality of a $400 device in the :apple: Watch or even the jewelry aspect of it.

What am I missing about this? Why am I not getting "it" at least with the iPad I saw the benefits right away. I don't see any benefits with this. It's an iPod nano with a m7 chip in it.

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

There were plenty who thought the iPad was just a giant iPhone, just like you with the Watch. Those very same people are singing a very different tune now.

Apple called the iPad "far better" at some key tasks than a laptop or the iPhone. The same can be said of the Watch. It's far better at some key tasks than the iPhone (e.g., screening for notifications, having Maps at eye level while driving rather than fumble around with the iPhone, limit the number of times you need to take out your 6+ for notifications that just need to be viewed but not responded to, etc.).

3. TechnicallyTee macrumors demi-god

TechnicallyTee

Trust me I feel the same way exactly but leave it up to everyone else on the forums, they are about to come in here slander us for our opinions. You hit the nail on the head and is the exact reason I didn't choose to order the watch. It is still very dependable on the iPhone and defeats the purpose of a so called "smart"watch. But I do not have one in hand so of course what am I talking about!? I personally think its just a new device that's made from Apple and of course the whole world is going to stop. And no I am not trolling, I love Apple products but im just a realist.

4. hlfway2anywhere macrumors 6502a

The :apple:WATCH is not a "need" device. (I use the word 'need' loosely as I realize we don't NEED any of these products)

Today, I bought a watch, and I think it's the first device I purchased because I just want it. It's purely want.

If you're looking for it to solve a problem or fill a gap, I honestly can't say that it does. You either want that extension of your phone and the functionality it brings to your wrist, perhaps even the 'newness' and curiosity of it, or you don't care about it. Nothing wrong with either perspective.

5. TechnicallyTee macrumors demi-god

TechnicallyTee

Also depends on what kind of job you have on the day to day basis as well and me sitting here at my desk all day does not benefit me enough to check my watch when my phone is sitting on my desk all day lol....

6. bjdraw macrumors 6502a

One of the biggest weaknesses of the iPhone has been glanceable information. Combine this with the fact that many still wear a watch for convenient access to the time and the Watch can do something the iPhone can't; provide access to the time and notifications in a much more efficient manor.

But yeah, ultimately it is an iPhone accessory and will probably show up on the Apple Store checkout screen next to the chargers and an Apple TV. You can even buy a combo iPhone+AW AppleCare combo.

7. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

I'm not going to slander anyone for their opinions. Neither am I going to do their research and thinking for them. It's good if you don't want this product. It's ridiculously scarce at the moment anyway for something just about everyone my husband and I know feels completely ambivalent toward.

8. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Yeah, a lot of them have now bought giant iPhones and stopped buying iPads.

:D

(sorry, couldn't resist such a straight opening)

9. superlawyer15 macrumors regular

superlawyer15

This is true to a degree (there has been measured cannibalization of ipad sales from the iphone6+)

...but a lot of people, including me own both and use both for different things.

This is especially true since certain apps are ipad only.

10. rcread macrumors member

rcread

I have a Garmin GPS watch that I like to use for running. It's nice because I don't have to lug my phone around on a run. The one thing that might motivate me to buy an Apple Watch is GPS independent of the iPhone. If I'm bringing my phone any way, why do I need the watch in the first place? Maybe iWatch 2 will have something like this. Who knows.

11. Mabus51 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well at least I'm not the only one that just doesn't get the purpose of this contraption. This isn't good at being a gadget, a timepiece, or even jewelry. It's just an unnecessary accessory trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist.

As far as Apple goes I felt they did a better job selling Swiss Watches than the :apple: Watch. I'm just perplexed as to what it's purpose is if it's not good at doing anything on it's own.

12. 5684697 Suspended

The fitness aspects are what prompted me to order. As a road biker, I'd much rather use a watch for realtime data than risk looking at a phone while riding rented bikes on trips. My own bikes use Garmin 810's, which have BT for displaying cadence and HR from a chest strap.

The iPhone/Applewatch can do all of that (hopefully cadence from a BT footpod) when riding away from home. I just don't see integrated GPS on a phone the size of an Applewatch, but you never know! They could put a battery in the strap! ;)

13. kovey macrumors 6502a

Yes! More brilliant commentary to add to the thread titled "The iPhone, iPod and iPad are failures just like the Watch (quotes from the past)". We use that thread to forever immortalize words of the stupid that they eat as a sandwich as we reflect back.

Thank you! ;)

14. Foss macrumors 6502

Foss

I haven't taken an exact count, but I must take my phone out my pocket 100+ times a day to check text messages, emails, weather, etc. Not having to do that is the biggest plus. The other big selling point for me is to control the music playing on my headphones without having to breakout the phone too. I know I can forward, reverse, pause controls on my headphones, but what if I want to skip to a particular song or playlist, I have to break out the phone. Fitness tracking is a perk too.

I particularly see the argument that this device is more useful to women. Most women keep their phone in their purse. And if they have their phone set as vibrate, silent, or volume low, they often miss calls and texts (as most boyfriends and husbands can attest to.) I complain of the chore of taking it out of my pocket, but the argument could be made it would be even more of a chore from a purse.

15. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

I Love your response. Any watch is a very personal expression. I have a pebble and have enjoyed it. I am grateful to those who made it because it showed me that I really like seeing notifications without pulling out my phone. However it is a smart display and the Apple Watch is a Smart watch that does a lot more than just display a notification.

No one needs a Rolex. You get them because you enjoy them and can afford them.

Some clearly are waiting to see a wrist PHONE that runs for a week on a charge. Some put down apple because this first decent smart watch does not not do that. SO, instead of getting a nice first step into what will surely be a long line of nice useful and FUN watches they choose to get nothing! I hope we see long lasting smart phone watches in my lifetime but I know we are not going to see it for a long time.

16. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I think of it like this: the watch does act as a second screen for the iPhone. That's one of its main functions, one that I'm interested in. The other thing it does is add additional sensors to your personal iOS system - calorie counter, HR monitor, wrist motion, etc., which get sent back to your watch and iCloud account.

None of it is "necessary" in the way a smartphone is a necessary modern device, but it is a nice accessory.

I get a lot of emails and texts at work. Some require attention right away. Many do not. With the watch, one glance and I can see what's important and what's not without taking out my phone, opening the mail app/iMessage/etc. and seeing what's up.

I have a Pebble Steel that I wear most days per week for this very reason. The AW will have more capability.

Necessary? No. Worth the price to me. Sure.

17. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

From what I've seen so far the watch has the potential to be useful to me however it's difficult to really know until I've actually used it. Therefore I pre-ordered one for a few reasons

1) genuine interest in the smart watch concept
    2) it looks like a nice fashion accessory
    3) I am a tech enthusiast
    4) I didn't see the point of the iPad when it first launched and I was totally wrong.

18. robaroo macrumors regular

Just because it has no functionality in your life doesn't mean it's a useless device that no one should buy. That's a matter of opinion. I'm a cyclist and I bike over 100 miles a week. I'm really looking forward to the heart monitoring function and pairing it with my iPhone + Strava app to track my performance. The thing with a device like this is that no one really knows the possibilities yet, but we do know they're endless when smart people put their minds to it. While it might not be a killer gadget yet, I'm banking that it will be in the not to distant future.

19. pragmatous macrumors 65816

Because you're making assumptions about something you don't know anything about. Your use of the word contraption tells me you're not the younger generation. You probably can't find a purpose for a top of the line Mac Pro either.

http://www.apple.com/watch/guided-tours/

Have any idea how many times I wanted to change what music I was listening to without having to constantly take my phone out just to change music? Or look at a message during a meeting but I can't take my phone out?

20. Mabus51 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm a producer, I have multiple Mac Pros and MacBooks, I have uses for multiple iPads even. I can't find a purpose for the Apple Watch simply because it can't do anything without the phone. You can't even activate it or install apps on the device itself. The app store for it is on the phone, to set the time on it you need your phone. I used the word contraption because that's what this device is. It's a frankenstein of many functions but it can't do any one function on it's own. That's a problem, any device that can't do a single function on it's own really isn't a good product. The fact is it's a watch but needs a phone and internet to set the time. That's not great watch design, or even good watch design.

21. 5684697 Suspended

In my opinion, there is a void, similar to the first iPhone launch because we haven't seen third party apps (not to any depth at least). I can think of some awesome uses, like sailing with my iPhone in a waterproof case in a dry bag, giving me tactical information on the watch right on the wrist of hands far too busy to dig out and look at an iPhone.

It all comes down to what Apple allows developers to access. While riding or sailing, I'd love to have an external Garmin GPS drive the nav on the thing while riding due to the better precision of the dedicated GPS, but with the display right where I can read it.

Might be a fun spring as things play out...

22. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

Why is it not a timepiece?

23. Somnospeed macrumors member

Good luck getting your iphone to monitor your heart rate. A decent heart rate monitoring watch is $200+ for a watch that counts beats and tells time and nothing more.
    So no... not "just a mirror" at all.

And if you don't have a smartwatch already, then you don't have a clue just how convenient it is to read a text or screen a phone call without your phone ever leaving your pocket. Since I'm not a butthole I don't drive and text. But glancing at a text on my watch is as quick as looking in your rear view mirror. With apple watch, responding to that text is as quick as turning the radio station. And when I'm at work or in a meeting, checking a text is completely discreet and I don't look like a butthole checking my phone over and over.
    I can even leave my phone in my desk and still get texts on my watch.
    Of course this also applies to facebook and twitter if you choose.

Until you have this convenience, you don't realize how convenient it really is. And once you do realize it, you don't want to go without it.

THAT is why you buy an apple watch. If that does not appeal to you, then no, you probably wouldn't dig the apple watch enough to buy it.

24. bjdraw macrumors 6502a

You can get a great optical wrist based heart rate monitor with BTLE and Ant+ for $99. And it seems the Watch can't reproduce it's accuracy during workouts based on reviews.

25. Somnospeed macrumors member

I should also add that I listen to music while I'm in the shower. With my smartwatch I can control the music and skip or repeat songs as I see fit.
    I shower every day and use this function on my watch every day. So in short, if I keep the watch 3 years, I I'm fine with paying $0.32 cents a day for the ability to control my shower music. Of course that would be assuming I have not other use for the watch... which is far from true.

----------

You can get a Kia to take you to the same place a BMW can...