Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
I'm planning on seeing it this evening and we have tickets...........was wondering what people thought? Haha, the reviews have been awful so far. It also is holding at like 30% on Rotten Tomatoes. In general I don't think reviews for this type of movie are always super accurate. Most of the critics judge it on plot and acting, when really people go to see it to watch stuff blow up and watch some action. The part that gives me pause is a lot of people are saying the action is pretty meh and that its really a 2.5 hour long trailer to launch their DC Universe, is that true?

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I'm planning on seeing it this evening and we have tickets...........was wondering what people thought? Haha, the reviews have been awful so far. It also is holding at like 30% on Rotten Tomatoes. In general I don't think reviews for this type of movie are always super accurate. Most of the critics judge it on plot and acting, when really people go to see it to watch stuff blow up and watch some action. The part that gives me pause is a lot of people are saying the action is pretty meh and that its really a 2.5 hour long trailer to launch their DC Universe, is that true?

I am going to see it, however I am keeping my expectations very low. I am more concerned that they let Zack Snyder direct it.

This movie from the onset looked like it was going to rely way to much on CGI to push the story.

mgirg

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2008
I am going to see it, however I am keeping my expectations very low. I am more concerned that they let Zack Snyder direct it.

This movie from the onset looked like it was going to rely way to much on CGI to push the story.

It is fantastic if you love DC comics. If you know nothing about them then you will probably find it very slow.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
It is fantastic if you love DC comics. If you know nothing about them then you will probably find it very slow.

I am a huge batman fan. Been reading him for quite some time. Superman and Wonder Woman not so much. But Frank Millers Batman is really good...... really good.

I take it you have seen it?

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Can someone kindly explain the basic plot/idea of the movie to me? I am not overly into superheroes (but have enjoyed the Batman films) and don't yet understand why two protagonists would be fighting each other.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario

Already got my ticket ready to go but from the reviews, that's pretty much what it is/is going to happen. From what I gathered, this movie got dumped on because of it's position in the DCCU. It's written like moviegoers are familiar with the characters and should know what's going on. I mean, sure we know of Superman (Man of Steel) and even Batman (though not in the DCCU), but we know nothing of Wonder Woman and the other Justice League members so when the audience sees them, they don't know what to think.

If this story or movie was later on in the DCCU, I'm sure it would score higher. I kind of compare this to Age of Ultron. If they put AoU out earlier (say Phase 1), it would probably score a lot lower than it did. It was pretty much a bridge and lead into Phase 3 but because we already knew all the Avengers, it was easy to follow. The same can't be said about BvS.

For the most part, RT scores have largely been similar to what I felt for the MCU (sometimes they were a bit higher) so I'm not expecting much with BvS, especially if it's going to be similar to MoS.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I can't get past Affleck in the trailers as Batman. Maybe if the role was better cast I would care.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I can't get past Affleck in the trailers as Batman. Maybe if the role was better cast I would care.

Majority of critics say Batman is one of, if not, the best thing about the film so not to worried about his casting. But can't say the same about Jesse Eisenberg. We all were highly critical about the casting then, nothing he does in the movie seems to relieve those doubts.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Majority of critics say Batman is one of, if not, the best thing about the film so not to worried about his casting. But can't say the same about Jesse Eisenberg. We all were highly critical about the casting then, nothing he does in the movie seems to relieve those doubts.
So is Affleck the new Batman or is this a one time thing?

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
Affleck is the new Batman for the DCCU and reportedly will get his own standalone movie.

I heard he actually was getting 2 movies as Batman, the studio execs saw the first cut of Batman v Superman and immediately signed Affleck on for 2 more. Not sure how true that is, but I've heard it from a few publications.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
He's one of the better Waynes. 43 is a great age for Batman, as it's something we haven't really seen before.

The best Batman story ever told features and older Batman, as well (in his 50s)

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I heard he actually was getting 2 movies as Batman, the studio execs saw the first cut of Batman v Superman and immediately signed Affleck on for 2 more. Not sure how true that is, but I've heard it from a few publications.

Well I'm still a couple of hours out for BvS but if what the critics say is true, and Affleck is a better Batman than Bale, I'm perfectly fine with him getting two films. As it stands right now, it seems like Batman is going to have to carry the DCCU. It's unfortunate that MoS was what it was and now with the critics saying that Superman was not as significant as they hoped in BvS, I don't think Superman can headline and attract the dollars Warner Bros is expecting.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I have wanted an established Batman for a long time. I don't want the same story retold a bunch of times. Everyone knows Batman. Introduce a good, human villain (or I suppose the new Joker, Harley) and give us some new stories with a more mob type film than a world shattering action film.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I have wanted an established Batman for a long time. I don't want the same story retold a bunch of times. Everyone knows Batman. Introduce a good, human villain (or I suppose the new Joker, Harley) and give us some new stories with a more mob type film than a world shattering action film.
I still think the Keaton/Berton Batman is still the benchmark for others to be judged against.

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
Saw Batman v Superman tonight. IMO it was a lot better than critics gave it credit for. It definitely drags and some parts are pretty corny. The beginning is pretty rough haha, but overall it was entertaining and that was all I was looking for. Affleck does actually do a pretty solid Batman. He definitely has the brooding and conflicted super hero down.........my biggest complaint was all the CGI........like I don't mind CGI in movies at all, but it was a bit much.

My biggest concern for for the DCCU is that Batman will be a lot like Captain America in the Avengers films. In his own right he's awesome, but when hes teamed up with guys with super powers he is kind of a bystander or plays second fiddle. It even comes to light in this film a bit. I'm actually pretty certain I'll like the standalone Batman films more than the Justice League films.

Reactions: jbachandouris

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Saw Batman v Superman tonight. IMO it was a lot better than critics gave it credit for. It definitely drags and some parts are pretty corny. The beginning is pretty rough haha, but overall it was entertaining and that was all I was looking for. Affleck does actually do a pretty solid Batman. He definitely has the brooding and conflicted super hero down.........my biggest complaint was all the CGI........like I don't mind CGI in movies at all, but it was a bit much.

My biggest concern for for the DCCU is that Batman will be a lot like Captain America in the Avengers films. In his own right he's awesome, but when hes teamed up with guys with super powers he is kind of a bystander or plays second fiddle. It even comes to light in this film a bit. I'm actually pretty certain I'll like the standalone Batman films more than the Justice League films.

Perhaps the aggregate score of 30% on RT is a bit low but I wouldn't say the movie was a lot better than 30%. I agree with pretty much everything you said but at the same time, I'm divided. As a fan, all the CGI, seeing Batman, Superman & Wonder Woman was amazing - props for that. But for something that is trying to establish a universe, that's where it falls flat. Most comic book fans are going to watch the films no matter what but for those who didn't read the comics or know very little, it doesn't necessarily make me want more, outside a bunch of cool CGI scenes that had me entertained. I hate to compare it to the MCU but the way Marvel structures and plans the movies is done in a way where I'm waiting for the next one. I'm not saying Marvel movies are all perfect, they're not, but everything just flows and makes sense because they took the time to flesh each character out. We all know why it's Captain America: Civil War, and understand the conflict between Tony Stark and Captain America. Like I said earlier, I think if Marvel released The Avengers and Age of Ultron earlier, it wouldn't get the reception it did because we'd be looking at the characters a lot differently.

If this were a standalone film, Batman vs. Superman, with no involvement in the DCCU, I wouldn't be so critical. It would be just one film that showcases DC's top characters in an epic CGI fest. Gives comic book fans what they want, everyone is happy. But to tell me you're trying to build a whole universe out of this in this format? Doesn't really work.

But with that said, really looking forward to see what Ben Affleck does with Batman. I can't say if he's better than Bale, but I know that the DCCU has a Batman that everyone can lookforward to.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
It was an entertaining movie. Batffleck amd Gal were pretty good in it. They wimpified Supes though and Eisenberg tried harder to be The Joker rather than Lex. Didn't see that ending coming. Overall, I enjoyed it enough. I don't really pay attention to reviews anymore until I see it myself. Better than what I expected. Audience even clapped after. Never a Superman fan. Love Batman since I was 8. I came away impressed at their battle on film and underestimated my idol. I want to see more of Diana Prince. She held her own at the end whipping ***.

If you're a fan of any of these legendary characters, highly recommended. I was expecting maybe Batman Forever level and came away thinking it was the most entertaining film I've seen Batman in since 2008 and 1989. And best fight choreography ever for Batman. Most of his fights scenes in the West / Keaton / Kilmer / Clooney / Bale years are garbage. Affleck might be my fav Batman since Keaton and West. Bale is overrated to me and so are his Batman films.

Reactions: jbachandouris

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
Perhaps the aggregate score of 30% on RT is a bit low but I wouldn't say the movie was a lot better than 30%. I agree with pretty much everything you said but at the same time, I'm divided. As a fan, all the CGI, seeing Batman, Superman & Wonder Woman was amazing - props for that. But for something that is trying to establish a universe, that's where it falls flat. Most comic book fans are going to watch the films no matter what but for those who didn't read the comics or know very little, it doesn't necessarily make me want more, outside a bunch of cool CGI scenes that had me entertained. I hate to compare it to the MCU but the way Marvel structures and plans the movies is done in a way where I'm waiting for the next one. I'm not saying Marvel movies are all perfect, they're not, but everything just flows and makes sense because they took the time to flesh each character out. We all know why it's Captain America: Civil War, and understand the conflict between Tony Stark and Captain America. Like I said earlier, I think if Marvel released The Avengers and Age of Ultron earlier, it wouldn't get the reception it did because we'd be looking at the characters a lot differently.

If this were a standalone film, Batman vs. Superman, with no involvement in the DCCU, I wouldn't be so critical. It would be just one film that showcases DC's top characters in an epic CGI fest. Gives comic book fans what they want, everyone is happy. But to tell me you're trying to build a whole universe out of this in this format? Doesn't really work.

But with that said, really looking forward to see what Ben Affleck does with Batman. I can't say if he's better than Bale, but I know that the DCCU has a Batman that everyone can lookforward to.

True that!

They should have followed Marvel's formula IMO. I think they should have released all the single movies of the characters they were planning to use in Justice League and have minor tie ins and then release the 1st Justice League movie.

Also, I don't know if this was nation wide, but in my area they played an extended trailer(trailer 2) of Captain America: Civil War. Kind of funny that there would be a promotion for a movie that is going to be in direct competition. Usually movie previews seem to follow certain studios, so it seems odd Warner would put out a Disney/Marvel trailer to open what they're hoping will be the answer to Marvel.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
If you like Batman or Superman you're going to think the movie is better than critics give it credit for. We're suckers for watching our superheroes portrayed in a different eras. Objectively, the movie needs help. The story lines are too mashed and thrown together. Lex is really bad. It's one of those situations where the movie isn't terrible but you can see how it could have been so much better. It is sad how in Batman vs Superman, the best fight sequence is stolen by Wonder Woman - if that doesn't tell you the movie is lacking, take the blinders off :)

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
If you like Batman or Superman you're going to think the movie is better than critics give it credit for. We're suckers for watching our superheroes portrayed in a different eras. Objectively, the movie needs help. The story lines are too mashed and thrown together. Lex is really bad. It's one of those situations where the movie isn't terrible but you can see how it could have been so much better. It is sad how in Batman vs Superman, the best fight sequence is stolen by Wonder Woman - if that doesn't tell you the movie is lacking, take the blinders off :)

That's the other problem I have.

*Semi-Spoiler Alert*

I'm not a fan of using the title Batman v Superman because we only get that part for a very short time so after you walk out, you kind of feel cheesed knowing that they only used that title to hype the movie. Of course the Dawn of Justice part makes more sense but I feel they could have used a different title.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.