Battery at 39% Health

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SoLibertyDies, Oct 25, 2007.

1. SoLibertyDies macrumors regular

Hey guys I know there's been alot of battery topics lately but here's one more.

My MBP usually stays at home and maybe comes off the charger for an hour to go upstairs or whatever but then comes back down.

recently I checked coconut and I see this:

[​IMG]

How can I work it's health back up, if I can?

I tried recallibrating and it actually made it drop a few points.

helpppp... it has an hour of battery life now.

2. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

You can't fix that battery. You can get a new one and stop cycling it so much - put the dead one in when its docked at the desk.

3. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

Errr... What do you mean by "cycles"? More is good, right?

[​IMG]

4. triddent222 macrumors regular

No, more is not good. The battery needs to discharge every once in a while, but if you can keep the cycles low, and calibrate your battery once per month, it will last you a long time. To the OP: Have you calibrated your battery since you bought it (not just now, I mean, during the whole 13 months) ? If not, well there's your problem. At 147/13 months it should not have such a poor health.

5. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Ouch! I had my MB for 18 months and it barely hit 89%.

6. SoLibertyDies thread starter macrumors regular

7. triddent222 macrumors regular

Did you, or did you not calibrate it? If you did, your battery might be faulty, and you might get a replacement from Apple (assuming you bought AppleCare). If you didn't calibrate your battery during the past 13 months, I'm sorry to say it, but it's probably your fault =\.

8. aquajet macrumors 68020

Nope. Failure to calibrate a battery will not damage it or otherwise cause the actual battery health to decline any faster.

The battery appears to be defective and if you're still under warranty, you should request a replacement.

9. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Calibration doesn't affect the health of a battery; calibration simply displays the correct charge and a more accurate "time left" indicator.

What is the OP's fault is not checking this earlier. Had he checked this out before the 1 year mark, Apple would have replaced his battery for him. OP, if you still have Applecare, then get yourself on that phone and call Apple ASAP. If you didn't buy Applecare, check to see if the credit card you bought it on offers an extended warranty service. Mine does for an extra 12 months after the free year provided by Apple. If so, you can ask your CC company how the paperwork works out, but at least you'll save yourself $129(or whatever it is now).
    If none of that works in your case, I think you'll have to buy a new battery out of your own pocket. :(

10. triddent222 macrumors regular

Quick question: Since he allegedly has not calibrated his/her battery since the time s/he bought the MBP, the health of the battery might not be showing up accurately; wouldn't it be possible for the actual health to be higher ? My batt. went up by 1% the last time I calibrated my battery.

I know calibration just "updates" the internal chip that reads the relative health of the battery (defining what's "empty" and what's "full"), btw.

11. aquajet macrumors 68020

Since the OP stated an actual runtime of only about an hour, I would say its reported capacity is pretty close to accurate.

12. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

It's a possibility but it's a remote one. Since modern notebook batteries lose their maximum charge even when not in use (the shipping time from China is rumored to remove 1-2% of the maximum charge alone!:eek:), even a battery that isn't in use would still be losing it's max charge at a slow and steady rate. I think the OP started out with a bum battery from the beginning, but since he never used it too much, he never noticed it.

Your battery might have gone up by 1% last time because the previous calibration might have been slightly off too. It isn't an absolutely perfect process, but it is a pretty accurate one most of the time.

13. Cerebrum macrumors regular

Cerebrum

It looks like it to me too.

14. aquajet macrumors 68020

Just for fun, I'll post mine. I should mention that I bought my machine refurbished in November 2006, and it included a new battery with zero cycles when I received it. So that's 241 cycles in 11 months, not 21 months. Not too bad, I suppose.

Attached Files:

15. wheels524 macrumors newbie

I've had my MacBook for just about 15 months now and my battery health was anywhere from 50% to 70% recently. I just took it to the Genius Bar tonight as it started shutting itself off at 40% charge and they replaced it no questions asked. Of course, I have AppleCare which helped.

I would suggest you do the same if your battery health is at 39%!

16. Brendon Bauer macrumors 6502

Here's mine...

Attached Files:

17. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Doing quite well I see. :)

I feel the need to point out that there's a guide on this (I wrote it :p), so be sure to read it if you want more info:

Battery Guide

18. Cerebrum macrumors regular

Cerebrum

19. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Yes. Coconut Battery is free. The only requirement is an updated version of 10.4.

20. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

No fault ... if the battery is indeed a bad battery, it's covered up to two years after purchase even if you don't have AppleCare. See http://www.apple.com/support/macbook_macbookpro/batteryupdate/

This is the most relevant part - you are eligible if:
    Edit: Should there be a sticky about this? I think this is the fourth time in the past two weeks I've posted about the battery replacement program.

21. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

That's great news for the OP (I didn't know Apple had implemented this policy :eek:). I believe he does qualify because it seems like has has a CD that isn't providing an adequate charge.

22. Zegna macrumors member

I actually find it scary to read that the general consensus here thought that it is normal to find your battery capacity to dip below 100% after less than 1 year of normal use.

As for myself, I listened to the suggestions of some, and did the calibration right after I start up the computer for the first time.

This is how mine looks like right now.

Attached Files:

23. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

What's scary about it? Even while a battery sits on the store shelf, it gradually loses its maximum possible charge. It really can't be helped. However, when you consider the fact that they retain 80% of their maximum charge after 300 cycles, you see that they really are quite durable. And, as time goes on, they become cheaper and of better quality.

24. ness31 macrumors newbie

I saw this thread and decided to test my battery. How can the current capacity be higher than the original capacity?

Attached Files:

25. SoLibertyDies thread starter macrumors regular

I read into the article posted and this looks like I fall under the affected ones. I'm going into the bar next week when I'm on that side of town.

No I hadn't callibrated once a month or anywhere near it, but I don't feel like I should have to to keep my battery alive for a year...

sigh.

my poor battery...