Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

switz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
East edge of Phoenix urban sprawl
The vertical orientation of the camera versus horizontal would make the top piece taller than on my 8+. Bringing the same thickness of the case to that piece would have made a straight line on the back, but perhaps the edge would have lacked strength and the distance from the camera to have an angle so the case did not block the camera. Currently have the Apple red leather case on my XS Max and the camera lens is just below flush with the opening. The XS Max case gets here next week.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
I would rather have Apple bring out two version of each iPhone. Their, OMG it's so thin and light, version they currently always release and a version that's bulkier but with a way better battery.
I really love my iPhone X now with the smart battery case. Battery life ain't an issue anymore, no matter what I do. I use Waze a lot and don't even bother plugging my iPhone in anymore, but I hate the fat "behind" (wanted to use a word that looks like bass but need to keep it family friendly) my iPhone now has... I'd rather have the extra space nicely divided on the iPhone (and the camera wouldn't have to stick out anymore)

hostricity

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2020
I’m afraid I’m going to be a contrarian several counts:

1. I have been through 2 Apple battery cases for my iPhone XS Max in two months. Both got into a state where they wouldn’t charge. I had to remove the phone from the case and charge each separately to get the cases going again. This happened about once a week. I’ve had Mophie in the past, so I returned the Apple cases and bought a Mophie Access.

2. The holes at the bottom Of the Apple may line up perfectly, but I had to hold the phone in exactly the correct position for callers to hear me. The Mophie Access eliminates that problem.

3. The integration isn’t nearly as useful as its cracked up to be. When I notice my phone is running low, I just push the button on the back of the Mophie Access and it charges until it runs out of juice. I thought the integration was really cool on the Apple case when I got the first case, but in reality, all it did was alert me that the damned thing wasn’t working and I had to remove and charge the Apple case to get it straightened out. Also, when it failed, I had often put it on the charging stand when I went to bed, only to wake up to a drained phone and battery case.

4. My subjective opinion is that the Mophie heats up less than the Apple.

5. The open bottom on the Mophie makes the swiping up gesture much easier than in the Apple.

6. The additional battery time on the Mophie does seem to be a little less than on the Apple, but I’m getting plenty for my needs.

I’m much happier with the reliable Mophie.

I note that there is the MophieAir that plugs into the lightning port like the Apple does and would probably give more battery time and less heat than the Access.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.