Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LegendJxli

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2022
I need help for a buying decision.
I'm looking forward to buying a iPhone 13 Pro Max Refurbished from Amazon in Good Condition.
It says over 80% Battery Health. Can y'all guys tell me (if you use a 13 Pro Max) how much battery health you have and what's you average screen on time? I need about 5 hours, is this possible with the 13 Pro Max with at least 80% battery health?

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
I'm looking forward to buying a iPhone 13 Pro Max Refurbished from Amazon in Good Condition.
It says over 80% Battery Health. Can y'all guys tell me (if you use a 13 Pro Max) how much battery health you have and what's you average screen on time? I need about 5 hours, is this possible with the 13 Pro Max with at least 80% battery health?
Probably for a while, but that battery is pretty well on its way to being depleted, no?

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
Be aware that refurbished outside Apple's own store is a scam: Nobody other than Apple themselves is allowed access to original replacement parts, so at best they are frankenstein'ing together working devices from used parts, which might not restore full functionality such as the water resistance rating. Apple refurbished iPhones come with new housings and new batteries, these certainly do not.

It's also a scam because they do not actually refurbish anything - as explained above they can't, at least nowhere near as good as Apple. Instead they just sell you a used device at a premium. It's no better than if you buy one used. In fact it's better because you can be relatively certain that the typical iPhone user doesn't go around opening up his device.

I bought such an iPhone once, last year, an iPhone X, off Amazon, because I needed a temporary device for a couple days. I wasn't planning on keeping it, though that was out of the question once I actually received it. It looked fine but the bottom left corner where the caps lock key is had a completely dead touch spot. It was impossible to even login with the Apple ID without switching into landscape orientation so I can type upper case...

So that's how great they "refurbish" things. It's just so they can extract more money from you.

It says over 80% Battery Health.
That could be 81% at which point the battery most definitely has exceeded the 500 charge cycles it is rated for and needs to be replaced regardless. At 80% the battery is done, full stop. Sometimes it still works well enough, I have an iPhone that works with 78%, but outside in the sun with display at high brightness it dies quickly, basically no longer usable throughout the day without a charger. Even if it's somewhere around 90% the daily battery life might still be significantly reduced already. The percentage is just an estimate after all.

Reactions: EternalSynergy

Nbd1790

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2017
New York
Unless they're offering a significant discount in comparison to Apples refurb, stay away. Around 80% is where the battery needs to be replaced - which means you should most likely be replacing it almost immediately. I had a phone that got into the low 80% range and the battery was horrific. I would imagine you're not going to get 5+ hours of SOT.

Anything other than Apple refurb also don't replace anything cosmetically, just parts that could impair regular functionality. If it was a good refurb, they would have replaced the battery already. It sounds like it's just a used phone that they can verify works and labeled "refurb".

Not sure where you're located, but sometimes brand new 13 Pros can be found through a cell provider at a significant discount after incentives. I would recommend going with a refurb from Apple if any at all (although it will leave you close to the price point of a new 14 Pro model.)

Reactions: Fred Zed

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
“Refurbished from Amazon” means it’s not refurbished. It has been cleaned with a cloth and resetted to the factory settings. Only Apple sell ACTUAL refurbished iPhones. No other retailer sells truly refurbished iPhones.

PPCmike

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2012
Be aware that refurbished outside Apple's own store is a scam: Nobody other than Apple themselves is allowed access to original replacement parts, so at best they are frankenstein'ing together working devices from used parts, which might not restore full functionality such as the water resistance rating. Apple refurbished iPhones come with new housings and new batteries, these certainly do not.

It's also a scam because they do not actually refurbish anything - as explained above they can't, at least nowhere near as good as Apple. Instead they just sell you a used device at a premium. It's no better than if you buy one used. In fact it's better because you can be relatively certain that the typical iPhone user doesn't go around opening up his device.

I bought such an iPhone once, last year, an iPhone X, off Amazon, because I needed a temporary device for a couple days. I wasn't planning on keeping it, though that was out of the question once I actually received it. It looked fine but the bottom left corner where the caps lock key is had a completely dead touch spot. It was impossible to even login with the Apple ID without switching into landscape orientation so I can type upper case...

So that's how great they "refurbish" things. It's just so they can extract more money from you.

That could be 81% at which point the battery most definitely has exceeded the 500 charge cycles it is rated for and needs to be replaced regardless. At 80% the battery is done, full stop. Sometimes it still works well enough, I have an iPhone that works with 78%, but outside in the sun with display at high brightness it dies quickly, basically no longer usable throughout the day without a charger. Even if it's somewhere around 90% the daily battery life might still be significantly reduced already. The percentage is just an estimate after all.
I have a 12 pro and it went from 83% to it's now at 78% I think apple can still replace the battery in a few hours? I would of replaced the phone but I brought a esim because I'm doing a international trip. It's just I know I wont be happy how fast my battery is draining now.

DerbyGrange

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2023
Apple Refurnished iPhones aren’t any better either. I remember when  had the home button problem and you could trade in your iPhone for free for a refurbished one. I did that. After a month of use I got crashes and blue screens. And in the end could turn on the iPhone for a view minutes until it crashed again. Never again! I lost the value of my phone and couldn’t sell it for a good price like I always do when upgrading to the next iPhone. I went back to the store and they wanted $200 for a replacement. Will never do this again with Apple!

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Apple Refurnished iPhones aren’t any better either. I remember when  had the home button problem and you could trade in your iPhone for free for a refurbished one. I did that. After a month of use I got crashes and blue screens. And in the end could turn on the iPhone for a view minutes until it crashed again. Never again! I lost the value of my phone and couldn’t sell it for a good price like I always do when upgrading to the next iPhone. I went back to the store and they wanted $200 for a replacement. Will never do this again with Apple!
That wasn't refurbished, it was remanufactured. Not trying to minimize your experience but it has zero to do with what's being discussed.

• Angry
Reactions: DerbyGrange

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
It says over 80% Battery Health.
No way in !@#$ would I buy a phone with an advertised "Over 80%" battery health. 80% is the point at which Apple will replace the battery if under warranty or AppleCare+. It's also around the point where software will start kicking in slow-downs to prevent unwanted restarts.

The ONLY way I'd buy it is if it's still a good deal AFTER paying Apple $89 for a new battery.

Thor_9

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2023
The refurbished phones come with a 1 year warranty. Not sure what you had.

DerbyGrange

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2023
The refurbished phones come with a 1 year warranty. Not sure what you had.
As I told you, I got a refurbished one. I went back to tell them that I had problems with the one they gave me. All they could to is to offer me another refurbished one but had to pay 200 Euros extra 😕 So came home with a lost phone and an unusable refurbished iPhone from Apple. And the point is, I would never buy or get any refurbished phone ever again. Not from Apple or anyone else.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
It was refurbished. 🙄 Because the Apple employee told me so. He lied? I don’t think so.
He was mistaken. Apple doesn't have "Refurbished" phones in stores, and they don't exchange for a "Refurbished" phone. What you would have received is remanufactured, which is a different process - similar, but not quite the same.

Regardless, it's not really relevant to the topic being discussed. If you get an exchange for a remanufactured phone, it comes with a minimum 90 day warranty (or the balance of the original warranty, if it's longer than that).

Refurbished phones come with a 1-year warranty, just like new. Again, I'm not trying to minimize your experience. Sometimes phones break, that's a fact of life. Apple refurbished tend to be very good and a lot of buyers, including me, have excellent luck with them.

• Haha
Reactions: DerbyGrange

FunkyTang

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2008
Does anyone know/remember when last year the iPhone 12 line first appeared on Apple’s refurbished website?

DerbyGrange

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2023
He was mistaken. Apple doesn't have "Refurbished" phones in stores, and they don't exchange for a "Refurbished" phone. What you would have received is remanufactured, which is a different process - similar, but not quite the same.

Regardless, it's not really relevant to the topic being discussed. If you get an exchange for a remanufactured phone, it comes with a minimum 90 day warranty (or the balance of the original warranty, if it's longer than that).

Refurbished phones come with a 1-year warranty, just like new. Again, I'm not trying to minimize your experience. Sometimes phones break, that's a fact of life. Apple refurbished tend to be very good and a lot of buyers, including me, have excellent luck with them.
🙄 Stop it. It was refurbished if you like it or not. I gave them my new phone because it had this faulty home button and there was a special return. A friend of mine works at Apple. End of discussion.

• Haha
Reactions: FreakinEurekan

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
Whatever it was Apple gave you at the very minimum a 3 month warranty which to be fair isn't very long but would have been plenty for that particular issue that started in the first month. You not bringing it in for service within that time frame is not on Apple. Unless they claimed you damaged it and that's why they wanted to charge you for a repair.

DerbyGrange

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2023
Whatever it was Apple gave you at the very minimum a 3 month warranty which to be fair isn't very long but would have been plenty for that particular issue that started in the first month. You not bringing it in for service within that time frame is not on Apple. Unless they claimed you damaged it and that's why they wanted to charge you for a repair.
I’ve already told the other one that it was a refurbished one. They told me so and it’s even on the receipt. When I came back because of the blue screen and the crashes, which wasn’t my fault. Maybe the one who told me I had to pay for a new refurbished one didn’t know that I did this ‘special’ trade in because of the problems with the home button. I don’t know. It was a iPhone 5 and a very long time ago! I now have a 14 Pro and I’m very happy. As I said. I would never get a refurbished one again. That’s my own opinion. End of discussion.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
My 13 PM has around 94% health and gives between 6-7hours SOT, sometimes even more if I am mostly on WiFi that day, really depends on my usage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.