Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How's your iOS 11 battery life?

• Same as before, pretty good

• Seems worse

• Much worse

• Better than before

Results are only viewable after voting.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
This is a very interesting point, that Apple has some built-in depreciation in older models.

Take the camera, all of a sudden my wife's 6 Plus takes photos of quite lower quality, without changing any settings...

I genuinely don’t think there has been any changes in the image processing algorithm for the older devices & I have proofs to prove my point.

cyberone

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2005
I genuinely don’t think there has been any changes in the image processing algorithm for the older devices & I have proofs to prove my point.

Right, even the thought of it would be highly unsettling. Yet couldn't think of any other reason why IQ slowly seems to get worse. Images look flatter, paler, less crisp. Lens is clean and imager hasn't been damaged in any way.

What proofs you mean?

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Right, even the thought of it would be highly unsettling. Yet couldn't think of any other reason why IQ slowly seems to get worse. Images look flatter, paler, less crisp. Lens is clean and imager hasn't been damaged in any way.

What proofs you mean?

This picture was taken using iPhone 6 on iOS 11. Would you say that’s bad quality?

f2ca32a77c71a7779001747200f6769e.jpg

Reactions: Stridr69

roeiz

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010
there's something seriously crazy with the battery management..
i can go down fast after 10 minute browsing, like 20% (6S+),
and then charge in the car for 5 minutes, it goes back up...
today the battery drained to 2% with no heavy usage, but it wrote "you got 10% left..".
so now it's on 1%, i am trying to drain it fully, but it's stuck on 1% for 3 hours now,
with usage.
maybe it will finally calibrate after i the phone will die.

Mene

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2007
Toronto, Canada
there's something seriously crazy with the battery management..
i can go down fast after 10 minute browsing, like 20% (6S+),
and then charge in the car for 5 minutes, it goes back up...
today the battery drained to 2% with no heavy usage, but it wrote "you got 10% left..".
so now it's on 1%, i am trying to drain it fully, but it's stuck on 1% for 3 hours now,
with usage.
maybe it will finally calibrate after i the phone will die.

I find that calibration requires about 3 full cycles, one after another. It's annoying but I feel it's been the only way to get the thing calibrated.

Reactions: roeiz

roeiz

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010
I find that calibration requires about 3 full cycles, one after another. It's annoying but I feel it's been the only way to get the thing calibrated.

but i never ever need calibration before.. this is madness!

Reactions: Mene

Mene

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2007
Toronto, Canada
but i never ever need calibration before.. this is madness!

Honestly, I'm not sure that calibration will solve the issue, if it is a software issue.

But I've used it to solve the issue since my iphone 5, except for one time when I needed to have the iPhone 5 battery replaced.

roeiz

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010
Honestly, I'm not sure that calibration will solve the issue, if it is a software issue.

But I've used it to solve the issue since my iphone 5, except for one time when I needed to have the iPhone 5 battery replaced.

but did you have problems like i described?

Mene

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2007
Toronto, Canada
but did you have problems like i described?
I did. Those sound like classic symptoms of a battery in need of a calibration. The only other diagnosis I can think of is a battery that is dying.

Here is a basic youtube video that explains the procedure.

Perene

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Netherealm
Ok, after a clean install (as described here http://wccftech.com/clean-install-ios-11-final/ ) and setting up as new (without restoring from a backup), my battery usage improved by about 90 minutes - 2 hours. It’s still somewhat worse than what I had on iOS 10, but definitely a noticeable improvement.
Trying this now to see if things change... with iTunes 12.6.3.6:

Release date: September 22, 2017; 16 days ago
- Adds iOS 11 support.
- Released to enterprise customers for deploying App Store apps to iOS devices.

I'll do the same and don't restore settings from iCloud, will start from scratch and reconfigure my preferences for all apps. Let's see if things will improve. Of course I'll download everything I had again.

Note: I had to follow these instructions to select the IPSW file:
http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-clean-install-ios-11-via-itunes-the-right-way/

Which included holding Shift (in PC) to select it from my hard drive, instead of downloading from Apple's servers.

Reactions: akash.nu

Livi

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2016
has anyone else noticed this?

Yesterday my battery was at 41% on the Plus by 4pm.. this phone has never reached 50% at that time unless I was on it the whole time.

My phone right now is at 81% and it’s been used for only 20 min.

My phone usually at this time is at 95-96%.

Same here. InstallEd 11 on my iPhone 7 on Sunday.
I am at work all day and check my phone only during lunch. When I finished up 430 today and yesterday it's at 50% or less. Weird.

Mr. Orange

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2014
Belgium
Standby time is reducing at an alarming rate. Charged to 100%, after a couple of minutes it's already down to 96% with no usage. Since iOS 11, I have to charge the phone every evening. And that's with 'office' usage during the day: checking e-mails, texting and browsing.

cyberone

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2005
Standby time is reducing at an alarming rate. Charged to 100%, after a couple of minutes it's already down to 96% with no usage. Since iOS 11, I have to charge the phone every evening. And that's with 'office' usage during the day: checking e-mails, texting and browsing.

So according to some commenters here you're at fault, you should reinstall a clean OS whereas the majority of contributors to this thread seem to agree somethings really screwed with iOS 11, Apple probably implied too many changes without addressing some core processes.

Mercenary

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
I did. Those sound like classic symptoms of a battery in need of a calibration. The only other diagnosis I can think of is a battery that is dying.

Here is a basic youtube video that explains the procedure.
You don't need to play music. Anything will do. Also, even with battery issues your looking at 40 or so hours to kill it with music.

Reactions: Nisaja

StuBFrost

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2016
Manchester, England
As it looks like the battery issue is going to be fixed in 11.1 (according to those currently testing beta 2) why are people driving themselves mad trying sort out what issue they have and how to solve it.

Infrared

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2007
Resetting network settings after a IOS update always helps battery life. Apple employ told me and it’s helped me with every phone and updates last 3 years

It sounds like we're in the midst of superstitious practices like the old "repair permissions" on OS X.

So changing your version of iTunes, resetting your network settings, doing a DFU install, resetting all settings, turning off all location services, turning off a particular service, installing the iOS 11.1 beta 2, or installing iOS 11.1 beta 1 but disabling assistive touch or, then again, maybe it's 11.0.1 or 11.0.2, whichever has better battery life at that moment, and so on.

Please, this is madness

ignaciobarrena

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2016
I'm losing almost 20% overnight without doing anything. iOS 11.0.2 clean installed, (haven't restored any backup) I already reset the settings... There is no app showing A LOT of battery drain in settings, just the same as iOS 10. why ?

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
I am pretty much convinced iOS11 just borked the battery indicator - there is no reasonable explanation for my 5S draining on iOS11. I disable pretty much everything unnecessary, and it would still drop very quickly (sometimes in chunks of 3-4% instantly), and one day it hung on 1% for 20 minutes of usage before it shut off. This was with both an upgrade install, and "set up as new" installs.

Back on iOS10.3.3 personally now - actually enjoying my 5S, glad I did!

iOS11 has potential, but still felt a bit laggy on the 5S in comparison - plus the new app store, and chunky bold dead space headers in system apps are a major put off, even if they fix the battery.

Mercenary

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
Since doing 2 full discharge and charge cycles I'm finding my battery life to be closer to expected. Nothing else has changed and my background app and location services are still on.

I also find the battery to be right when it says it's low when previously I would get hours of use for 1%

Smoothie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
California
I just updated my iPhone 7 to 11.0.2. I didn't set it up as new and I updated via iTunes with the phone connected to my iMac. Before updating, I deleted all incompatible apps. It's too soon to know whether battery life has taken a hit, but the Usage and Standby times seem accurate, the phone isn't warm when not being used, and animations/transitions are smooth. So far, so good.

The only reason I updated today was I'm expecting delivery of an Apple Watch this afternoon. It needs iOS 11 to set it up. Otherwise, I would have waited until a few updates later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.