Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Is it true that when the M1 16" MBPro is constantly used while being connected to the power outlet, it will not use its battery, therefore the battery will last longer?

Reactions: appltech

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Is it true that when the M1 16" MBPro is constantly used while being connected to the power outlet, it will not use its battery, therefore the battery will last longer?
It still uses some battery optimization automatically, but yes if you have it plugged in you will see fewer battery cycles used when doing that for the year.

Based on your daily charging routine, it may automatically defer charging to 100% until shortly before you need to use the battery. So yes you see a different symbol from the charging symbol and the battery below 100%. When it falls to I think 80% it will then charge it to 100% again. This is done to maximize the battery life.

That is using my 16" M1 Max MBP.

Last edited:

Honza1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
US
Check AlDente application and its support pages. It will explain a lot and I suggest using it, if you plan to be mostly on charger.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Check AlDente application and its support pages. It will explain a lot and I suggest using it, if you plan to be mostly on charger.
You believe AlDente does a better job than the OptimisedBatteryCharging that is provided by the native MacOSX Battery app?

Last edited:

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
OptimisedBatteryCharging appears to be a little conservative, as it has to work automatically, if you know when you need battery in advance then AlDente will probably provide more reliable control.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I will be having the MBPro in charger almost constantly, so im interested in the best charging method for the longevity of my battery... what would that be?

Honza1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
US
AlDente lets you make a decision what you want it to do. You come home from trip and know, you will be next month home, you set in the AlDente the max charge yourself to whatever you want and go with it.
OptimisedBatteryCharging has no user controls. You come home from trip and it needs to figure out, that you are now attached to charger all the time by observing your use. It takes some time (week?) before it figures it out, actually kicks in, and starts to regulate battery charge.
You make decision on this...

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I've said this before and (like a broken record) will repeat:

You DON'T want to leave a MacBook (Pro or otherwise) plugged into an outlet 100% of the time.
And I don't care about so-called "software solutions" that may -- or may NOT -- protect it.

The battery should be taken "off-charge" at least 2-3 times per week, and "exercised". Let it run down to about 45%, then put it back on charge.

I would also unplug the charger at night, but that's just me.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
To be frank, i assumed that AlDente would be able to run a schedule like not having the charger on for ever. Having it charge up to say 80%, then make it go down and up again to 80% and so on.
Is there something im missing here?

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
If it's absolutely never off charger, then optimised charging /should/ be fairly reliable to keep it at 80%.
To be frank, i assumed that AlDente would be able to run a schedule like not having the charger on for ever. Having it charge up to say 80%, then make it go down and up again to 80% and so on.
Is there something im missing here?

I believe the pro version does allow this, and would indeed make it more suitable for near permanent connection.

IsaacFOK

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2023
Get AlDente and set your limits manually. Battery damage occurs when <20% SOC - >80% SOC for prolonged periods. Also temperature and rate of charge affect the longevity.

I would estimate you could double your battery life span by setting the above limits.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
You mean that it is recommended to have the battery constantly on charge between 20-80% and AlDente free version can achieve this?

IsaacFOK

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2023
Yes. You are creating a 'battery brick margin' so that you use the battery in a way that won't stress the chemistry and stop it from loosing capacity.

Reactions: Queen6

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
How can i do these settings in the AlDente app, can someone help me?

IsaacFOK

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2023
Buy the pro app, download it, install it and set the charge limit to 80% (default) and dont let the SOC drop lower than 20% and you are good to go.

IsaacFOK

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2023
I dont know, but it's only £24 for the pro version life time licence. How much was your M1 MacBook Pro?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
God will certainly help you... but, Al Dente is designed to do what you are asking about.
My suggestion is that, as you have a refurb (from Apple?), then you have one that has had more testing than a brand-new model would typically get from the factory - so you are a couple of steps ahead of those who preferred to avoid the supposed "disgrace of the re-furbished". :p

Reactions: zoran

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
How can i setup the AlDente free version in order to get it protect my battery as best as possible since im using my laptop as a desktop and use it on battery 1-2 days per month?

Last edited:

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
How can i setup the AlDente free version in order to get it protect my battery as best as possible since im using my laptop as a desktop and use it on battery 1-2 days per month?
#Apple_Tiger can you help plz?

unrigestered

Suspended
Jun 17, 2022
if you can't set up any schedule, simply make sure to set the charge limit to max. 80%, or even preferably something like 60%

i'm using my Macbooks completely on battery, so i will always charge them to 100% and put them back on a charger when they're below 10%.
but they will never stay above 80% and below 20% for a prolonged time.

another good advice is to not use the most powerful chargers if possible, as fast charging will deterioate your battery much quicker too.
for example, unless it is urgent, i will always charge my MBP with the "weaker" charger that came with my MBA and i'm charging my MBA with a weaker all purpose USB charger and not the one it was shipped with.
this can mean up to 6-8 hours for a full recharge, as opposed to 1 to 1.5, but your battery will thank you for this, unless you really need it to be recharged in as little time possible.

Reactions: Queen6

Apple_Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2023
You should google search "Al Dente Mac" and it will be on the top, download the free version, from the download folder, drag it to Application and open the app and follow instructions there.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Are there AlDente versions for different MacOSX (older and newer)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.