Battery Life Improved Significantly !!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cenetti, Jul 22, 2008.

1. cenetti macrumors 6502

After couple of full charges, check this out....
    I charged last night, and check out the battery!!!
    13hrs 27 mins standby
    3hrs, 23 mins usage
    and I still have a lot to go before it dies....

I played couple of games,
    3G was on about 1hr total (listened to internet radio whole time)
    Wifi on the whole time
    push, fetch off
    location services on whole time
    listened to ipod for about 45mins
    made 4 calls, received 3 calls (each about 5-10mins average)

It's damn good if you ask me....
    :D

Attached Files:

2. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

Since that is since "last full charge", I have to ask... did you plug it into a USB port for even a short period of time? I've found that the charger works very quickly. So, if you synced it might have helped bump up your stats. Just asking... your experience definitely doesn't jive with mine.

3. Babiipiink macrumors member

:cool: Same with me! Only i had to return my defective one first because that couldn't even last half a day. But now, I get AT LEAST 2 days worth of juice from my battery after a full charge!

4. cenetti thread starter macrumors 6502

nope, I synced and charged last night. That's all.

5. ocbaud macrumors member

i discharged mine yesterday and recharged it while it was powered off. this was a normal days use at work. some 3g internet, played with the gps a tiny bit and a little bit of music playing.

i had wifi off most of the day, but that didn't affect it much. 3g was on all day, location services was on all day, i had auto brightness turned off and the setting at about half full, which i think made the biggest difference. oh, and bluetooth was off, its always off, i don't have a headset yet so i have no use for it

Attached Files:

6. snverhallen macrumors 6502a

Maybe it's me, but it seems battery life seems to be getting better and better. Wether the batteries just needed to "warm up" after a few cycles, or the newer iPhone weeks are getting better batteries; I don't know but there are more and more cases of better battery life. Albeit there are still batteries that I've heard of that have horrendous performance.

snverhallen

7. ocbaud macrumors member

i got my phone on saturday the 19th. battery life up until today SUCKED. it sucked a lot.

the 3g reception problem is another issue. i've had my phone cut calls off when i'm at home if i have 3g on, the reception here is awful, but at work i get full bars and awesome speeds. if anything i think the receiver in the phone is weak and hopefully a new flash will help that

8. cenetti thread starter macrumors 6502

It wasn't like this couple days ago. It was much worse.
    Up until now, I let the battery die completely and charge it with wall charger, NOT usb. I think it worked. :D

9. jableskg macrumors regular

What is wrong with charging it on your computer USB??

Is there any proof that there is a difference between a wall charger and connected to computer??

10. hexonxonx macrumors 601

If you plug the iPhone into a USB or even a wall outlet, it will say that the iPhone has been plugged in since last full charge. This is so you know that the usage stats won't be all that accurate. His screen doesn't show that so those stats are on one single charge.

11. fa.ce macrumors 6502

May you please explain when stats automagically turn to zero the counter ?
    I think every time i plugged it into cradle, but i'm not sure that happens ...
    Thanks

12. michaelmaxwell2 macrumors regular

The usage and standby rests automatically once the phone is fully charged, and it won't start again until the phone is off the charger.

13. fa.ce macrumors 6502

so that the most accurate way to have stats is to fully discharge iPhone and then fully charge, isn't it ? thanks

14. michaelmaxwell2 macrumors regular

Until a third-party app comes out yes, but I find it does the trick for me and it's accurate for me.

15. senorFunkyPants macrumors 6502

senorFunkyPants

Worth noting that Li-ion batteries do "improve" after a few charge cycles from new.
    Fully discharging Li-ion batteries is not recommended certainly not on a regular basis.
    Deep discharging Li-ion batteries can cause irreparable damage.

16. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

That is definitely true! Almost every electronic and battery that I own that uses Li-Ion says to never discharge it completely, as doing so can permanently harm the battery.

17. slicecom macrumors 68020

My battery JUST made it through the day for the first 3 full charges, since then I've been able to make it through 2 full days with regular use per charge. I bought a dock now though, so i'm going to keep the dock plugged into the wall and just charge the phone every night.

18. packetjunkie macrumors regular

I took someone elses suggesting of restoring the iPhone; apparently the firmware update available when you restore is newer than the one that ships with the phone and there are some improvements even though the firmware upgrade isn't an option (yet).

19. halsabti macrumors newbie

halsabti

So what type of battery that you should discharge completely.

20. slicecom macrumors 68020

I'm pretty sure Apple's built in a failsafe for this. The iPhone shuts off due to lack of battery charge well before the battery is completely depleated.

21. DN7335 macrumors 6502

Ni-Cad

22. cenetti thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, now I took this scrrenshot this afternoon before I took the phone off the charger. This time, I'll let it go down all the way to 10% mark and post another screenshot. Let's see..... you think I can get ~20hr standby this time? :eek:

Attached Files:

23. tswiers macrumors newbie

tswiers

I just got my 3G yesterday in Denver CO. I hope my battery lasts longer as I get through a couple more charge cycles. Yesterday it only lasted about 1/3 of the day. Of course I was on it constantly setting up everything..... Will post in a couple days. :) :apple:

24. cduenas4 macrumors newbie

Silly question, I just picked up my first iphone... what indicates that its fully charged or where does it indicate the percentage of charge? I see the large image of the battery in the center of my phone, its fully green. I suppose im 100%?

Thanks

25. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

on my first generation iphone, i'm normally used to five hours of use and just about of two days of standby. but with the recent 2.0 update, use has gone up to five hours on just one day of standby, which is fine. if the new 3g iphone can get me through a full day, i'll be a happy camper.