iPhone X Battery life is crazy on the X

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Appl3FTW, Nov 8, 2017.

1. C DM macrumors Westmere

It's interesting that people will provide actual numbers and then others with nothing to backup anything will just try to say it's all fake. Typical fake news approach to it all. Sad.

2. Mojopin macrumors regular

Mojopin

crazy mediocre :), I am not super impressed by it, I'm averaging about 8hrs ST with pretty light usage other than a 45min FT session with my daughter. I have app refresh off, not pushing any mail, etc, I expected better but may be cycling.

3. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

Out and about part of the day, in more of a mobile mode, battery is outstanding. My last stats were ~7h/~22h with 62% remaining. Lots of time in Chrome, Email, Camera (photos and videos), Pixelmator (image editing), DropBox, Google Docs and using <undislcosed_app_under_development> that uses backend web services/photo sharing/GPS :)

This weekend will be an interesting "stress test", we're hitting up Universal for our late-in-the-year trip (#3 :D), these trips usually very usage/photo/video intensive, with 95%+ on cellular.

4. iStockNow macrumors 6502

iStockNow

I'm impressed, was shy on the battery coming from the 7 plus.

30% left was like this:

fullsizeoutput_978d.jpeg

9% left now (low powered triggered et 20)

fullsizeoutput_9791.jpeg

Can't complain.

5. mazdamiata210 macrumors 6502a

And how much of that is some kind of audio playback?

6. iStockNow macrumors 6502

iStockNow

3h music streaming I'd say
    I also get average cellular data signal.
    But being "iStockNow" I also get hundreds of push per day at the moment... (not sure how it impacts battery life exactly)

7. mazdamiata210 macrumors 6502a

Not saying you're lying but 3 hours or so of music will increase your usage times without actually using much battery life. So take off 3 hours of use and you're left with about 7-8 hours like I've been saying. Of course with low power mode on it will last longer like your second screenshot... But if that's the case I can put on low power mode on my Plus and do double that time. In a side by side comparison with the exact same usage and setup the Plus beats the X in battery life.

8. iStockNow macrumors 6502

iStockNow

Btw I did 1.5 hours of streaming AFTER the first screenshot. All audio being played with AirPods + Calls

I didn't say I've tested something, just reported today's usage which is remarkable to me. This is a user report, probably not the truth, just my reality.

9. Nozuka macrumors 68020

"continuously surfing" being the operative word.

i switched between iOS and android alot and it's very obvious, that android uses way more battery while in standby.

i don't constantly use the phone (who surfs 12h a day?), which is why i usually have more than 50% left at the end of the day with an iphone. with android devices it is closer to 20-30%.

noone seems to consider standby power usage in these tests ...

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

[MOD NOTE]
    A number of posts have been removed due to rules violations. Please stay on topic and respect other members

Rules for Appropriate Debate

11. stuckonduhmode macrumors newbie

I wouldn’t say he’s calling it fake. Maybe more like stretching the truth.

Basically, music playing in the background without actually using/touching the screen (or even having it on) is going to inflate the usage time more so than if you were multitasking while playing music.

In other words, those 6 hours you played music in the background without touching the phone (screen off) does not equate to the same battery usage as 6 hours using safari while playing music. The former is probably going to leave you with 85-90% battery life and the latter 30-40%. Yet they both still count as 6 hours usage time.

Therefore if someone were to play a lot of music without touching the phone, their battery usage time would be way above what Apple is stating on their website, which gives the impression that the X battery life is amazing. It’s better definitely, but let’s not kid ourselves.

I guess I just assess usage time the same way he does. I don’t really count usage time from playing music in the background while not doing anything else with the phone as actual usage. After all, the tech specs for the X on the Apple page says music can be played for up to 60 hours. If I only played music without touching the phone, I’d have a usage time of 50-60 hours! Awesome battery life eh?!

This is why I hate these battery comparisons. No one uses their phone in the same way so you have vast differences in usage times.

12. DNichter macrumors 604

DNichter

Hard for me to judge because I have been throwing it on my wireless charger randomly throughout the day, but it's comparable to my 7 Plus. It lasted a day and a half over the weekend, but with lighter use.

13. MacintoshDan macrumors 6502

I think my 8 Plus was better in the battery department.

14. AppleWarMachine macrumors 65816

AppleWarMachine

Yeah, i’m Liking the battery life!...
    Usage: 14 hrs, 20 mins
    Standby: 34 hrs, 45 mins
    ...with 10% battery left

Attached Files:

15. SR71 macrumors 68000

Which carrier model do you have?

16. AppleWarMachine macrumors 65816

AppleWarMachine

AT&T

17. HeadphoneAddict macrumors 6502a

HeadphoneAddict

I unplugged at 10:30AM yesterday, and at 9AM today still had 34% left with 10hr usage and 22.5 hours standby. If I would switch to lower power mode and didn’t read my book on the X I could get though the whole day on the 34%. I went ahead and charged it during a 2 hr nap.

The 10 hours of use included 4+ hours of Kindle reading (black background white text), and the usual push mail for iCloud and Hotmail, manual mail check for the others, about 20 min of Facebook, 20 min of reading mail, about 20 minutes of Safari, 10 minutes on phone calls, and 10 min looking at photos. I still have important apps refresh in background and location set for only when using them. I keep the screen fairly dim.

When I went to bed at 2AM I was at 7.5 hours of use over 15.5 hours of standby and at 46% left. So the phone did about 2.5 hours of background stuff while I slept and dropped 12% on the battery during that 7 hours.

PS: at bedtime my screen shot said kindle used 34% of the battery and total screen time for kindle was 4.5 hours.

0E76437D-4536-4DDE-8A40-B9BBE84E9783.jpeg 101EB569-AEC2-4BC6-8DB0-452ED605F1F2.jpeg

18. chekz0414 macrumors 6502a

chekz0414

You can also enable Smart Invert Colors, and Greyscale and use the All Black wallpaper in iOS 11 and the battery should last you longer than the 7 or 8 Plus

19. Theyayarealivin macrumors 6502

Is my battery good? What do you guys think???

Attached Files:

20. Crayon7 macrumors regular

Crayon7

Battery life doesn’t seem great do far it’s been few days only but either my usage is too heavy or it’s just not great. My 6 lasted just about day or less had to charge again sometimes in afternoon evening depends on use

X is but better lasts a day but wouldn’t last another I don’t think. So topping up charge after day anyway.

21. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

22. Itsjustcole macrumors member

I've been impressed, but not as much as I was with the 8 Plus.

I haven't done a full-cycle charge in over two weeks. I plug my X in my car for CarPlay for my 15 minute commute to work (there and back) everyday, and I have yet to get close to battery-saver mode.

23. Theyayarealivin macrumors 6502

24. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

As in “as a phone?”

Not much lol. After work a bit. Those screenshots represent a big absence of cell/LTE time.

Still getting a feel for battery life outside of WiFi. It’s certainly better than the 7 though and slightly better than the SE I had, which also had great battery life for that setup.

25. zone23 macrumors 68000

As a previous iPhone + user I have become costume to not worrying about battery life and the iPhone X is no exception. I haven't had to charge the phone though out the day or worry about a dead battery. With that said I do have wireless chargers on my desk at the office and two at home and I will throw the phone on the charger while I take a shower before I go out just for a little extra juice not that its needed (I've been using Samsung Fast Chargers BTW).