Battery Life on iPhone 6 is Great

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Thrifty1, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Thrifty1 macrumors regular

I know most only like to share what is not working, but I'm very happy with the battery life on my iPhone 6.

I keep my expectations realistic and the iPhone 6 is doing a little better than my iPhone 5. I've had the phone unplugged for about 10.5 hours so far today and used it actively for a little over 2 hours. Battery life is at 78% which meets my expectations.

Here is the screen shot of my current battery usage.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vxzsb213dhl3xsr/IMG_0038.PNG?dl=0

2. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

3. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

I'm so happy with the iPhone 6 battery life. It's much better than that of the 5s. My 5s id actually have to charge once a day. The 6 I haven't had to charge throughout the day since I've had it. That's all I wanted was a phone I didn't have to put on a charger

4. zuckuss00 macrumors member

Same here.

Getting almost 2 days on a single full charge with a decent amount of usage.

Not watching movies or streaming anything.

But it's great for my day to day usage.

5. Ayeyotone macrumors 6502

Ayeyotone

Did u setup as new or did a fresh restore?

6. munkydust macrumors member

My 4s would usually be dead or very close to it by the time I got home from work. Today my 6 had 50% left when I got home (with the same approximate usage).

7. ericschmerick macrumors regular

ericschmerick

My wife's Verizon 6+ was at 70%+ at the end of the evening. My ATT 6+ was at 27%.

I used my phone more during the day yesterday, but it sure does seem like mine is draining the battery faster than hers.

In general with my 5 (not 5S) I would be at 10-15% by the end of a day. So far it doesn't feel like my 6+ battery life is any better than by 5 battery life. I was expecting a bit better.

Right now it's 2:40PM PDT, and I'm at 66%, and haven't used the phone too much at all. Again probably about the same as it was with the iPhone 5.

8. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

unplugged today for 9 hours, 4.5 of usage and still at 61%. love new phones and their battery life :D

9. Thrifty1, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2014

Thrifty1 thread starter macrumors regular

I had always done a restore in the past but decided it was time to "clean house" this year so I set it up as new.

I also do the following to maximize battery life:

- Background App Refresh: I keep the list as short as possible. Currently have 4 apps with this on.

- Location Services: I keep the list as short as possible. Currently have 12 apps as "Always" or "While Using".

- Notifications: I keep the list as short as possible. Currently have 16 apps with notifications. I turn off all diagnostics (Product Improvement) in the System Services.

- I close apps when not using.

- Display brightness when I am inside is set at about 30% -- more than bright enough for me to see the screen.

- Personal Hotspot off until I need it.

- Mail set to fetch hourly (manual even better, but hourly works well for me).

Other settings:
    - WiFi is always on.

- Bluetooth is aways on as I am in / out of my car during the day.

Hope those details help.

10. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

I'm loving my 6 as well. Battery is way better than my 5s. I had a Mophie case on my 5s and would either have to charge the phone or turn on the battery by early afternoon. I'm at 10 hours of standby and 4 hours usage and at 55% which is fantastic for me.

11. ericschmerick macrumors regular

ericschmerick

This is great information. I didn't know any of this stuff, and I'm going to go try these optimizations now. Thanks for posting these tips!

12. Ayeyotone macrumors 6502

Ayeyotone

I'm only getting 6hrs usage with mostly everything off I setup as new I'll try new restore in a couple of days if it don't improve thanks

13. barondebxl macrumors 6502

barondebxl

I have noticed that watching youtube on the iphone 6 drains the battery quickly. I wish apple would have a native youtube app like they did in the early iphone days that way they can optimize it properly. But its a licensing thing with youtube i believe.

----------

Wow thats not good at all. how is your signal?

14. sjperformance macrumors 6502

sjperformance

I agree. Great battery on the 6. I set up as new.

15. ViperDesign macrumors 6502a

ViperDesign

Right now the 6 battery is solid. I use my phone quite heavily. So having a good battery is important to me.

Attached Files:

16. darkside flow macrumors 6502

darkside flow

Yup. Restored from back up. Screen about 45% with auto, wifi and bluetooth on. This was my first full drain.

[​IMG]

.. and yeah, I spent almost an hour on Tinder. So what? :D (three matches, all hookers :()

17. barondebxl macrumors 6502

barondebxl

Thats about right.

18. darkside flow macrumors 6502

darkside flow

19. accountforit macrumors 6502a

20. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

Even with heavy use, it's lasting longer than my 4S did. I'd say I'm getting 10-17% percent more juice for my usage.

21. ericschmerick macrumors regular

ericschmerick

I think that's a big part of the issue. My signal is almost always 2 bars, and in a few parts of the building there is virtually no signal (1 bar, and if you try to make a call it usually drops).

22. darkfiber macrumors 6502a

darkfiber

23. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

I agree, the battery life on my 6 is great as well. After the second charge it has almost 5 hours of use with a day and a half of standby time and still has 76% left. At this point I don't think it will ever run out, lol.

24. dotme macrumors 6502a

I have the 6 and also have surprising battery life so far. 8hrs standby, 90min usage, 94%

Upgraded from the 5s - which I considered good, but not this good. I restored my 6 from a backup of the 5s - but I updated the 5s to iOS 8 before I backed it up.

25. CooKieMoNs7eR macrumors 68000

CooKieMoNs7eR

So starting as new iPhone has better battery than restoring from backup?