Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Hah I got it on Friday. In white! I wanted back in with iOS and didn’t want to pay the prices of an 11 when generally, the phones do exactly the same thing minus fancier cameras.

Happy with it!
Congratulations! Lol you change phones so often. But you’re consistent in going for the clean look so I’m not surprised you chose white.

Reactions: Aneres11

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Definitely much shorted than 11PM. Drained from like 60-0 with maybe not even half of Despicable Me with Flashlight, Full Brightness and GPS also. The same stuff on my 11PM I got through a whole movie and some of a second to drain the whole battery.

Reactions: nordique

JakubWrobel

Cancelled
Apr 22, 2020
DISCLAIMER: I am a very light phone user

After setting up the phone and topping off the battery on Friday when I received the phone, I drained the battery by Sunday night. Monday, I took it off the charger at 6:30am and have been using it like I normally would; 63 hours in, I am sitting at 3% with just over 2hrs of on-screen time. Phone is on cellular and WiFi, no BT, no background refresh, very limited location services turned on. Like I said, very light phone usage.

kid84

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2017
Its not as good as Xr or 11 ....

I was using the SE since they released , normal using like I did with 11 ( call / text / web / some youtube / fb ) , like a normal use everyday , and battery drop under 20% before 4pm ....

I dont care about how much on mAh , how many percentage because I charged my phone every night before sleep, but the SE won't last until I got home ....

Love the size , but .....

Returned it , test drive but not match with me btw

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
So the battery life is no different to the old iPhone 8?

Apple officially rates it the same

It's exact same size 1821 mah

A13 is more efficient but also more power is drawn from the SE 2020 than the 8 (newer wifi, gps, bands, extra gb ram, new ISP) so it probably balances out

Main reason 11 Pro/Max were such a huge upgrade over XS/Max wasn't A13 but rather the larger batteries and more power efficient display (display is the main source of battery drain)
[automerge]1588215825[/automerge]
So close. The iPhone 8 battery in the video has 13 cycles but it's 18 months old. I wish there was a truly fair comparison between SE2 and 8 so we can eliminate age and cycle as confounding variables. Maybe I'm asking for too much.

I think it's fair to look at Apples reported values at face value. They say it's appx the same as the iPhone 8, and that's the official word.

I think day to day use will be similar over time. Everyone's SE 2020 is a brand new device whereas the 8's are older. When the 8 was new, it had pretty solid SoT. Despite it being rated the same as iPhone 7, I subjectively found better battery throughout the day on the 8

I am sure the A13 will give some improvements, but best to expect the same as the 8 as Apple advertises and claims, and be content with any additional gains

Last edited:

imp3rator

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2019
Because he used lot of benchmarks. And than chipset works on maximum performance. So If you have chip with 7W consumption and 6s or 7 has 5W consumption and it is 30-40 efficient has no effect. Because on maximum performance uses maximum power.

Apple presents only how much is newer chip effecient but power consuption in peak can be higher.

I think this is more realistic test

Reactions: primarycolors

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
Everyone comparing battery capacity sizes and extrapolating that to estimate how long the phone will last is akin to saying “my new car has the same 16 gallon tank as my old car so obviously the range must be the same.” ?

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Not sure why anyone would want to compare a new 2020 iPhone to an 3 year old phone that is no longer being made?
Don't we compare new to new?

iPhone SE 2020 battery life is a major letdown

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Not sure why anyone would want to compare a new 2020 iPhone to an 3 year old phone that is no longer being made?
Don't we compare new to new?

iPhone SE 2020 battery life is a major letdown

That article is a joke. Seriously? Comparing the SE to... the 11 Pro Max and the 11 Pro? Well, it’s obvious it won’t be anywhere close.

Battery life should be pretty similar to every 4.7-inch iPhone ever made on their original iOS versions, which should go from 5 hours of heavy LTE, high brightness use to 8 hours of low brightness, full Wi-Fi use, and everything in between. If that’s not enough, people should consider buying something else, maybe the iPhone 11 if they want to stick with an iPhone.

A “tech reviewer” bashing the iPhone SE’s battery whilst comparing it to the 11 series with double the battery size... please...

Yes, he then compared it with some Android devices with far less power and 5000 mah batteries, and just like him, I could argue the exactly same thing: “The iPhone 11 Pro Max’s battery life is a joke. 12 hours, really? The Moto G7 Power, at 25% of the price beats the 11 Pro Max by 4 hours, ludicrous”. Go with an iPhone 11-like display on a Pro Max, and a 5000-MaH battery and let’s see how long it lasts.

My point is, it’s the exact same battery life as the other 4.7-inch iPhones, and buyers shouldn’t expect more. As I said, if that’s not enough, consider the iPhone 11.

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
That article is a joke. Seriously? Comparing the SE to... the 11 Pro Max and the 11 Pro? Well, it’s obvious it won’t be anywhere close.

Battery life should be pretty similar to every 4.7-inch iPhone ever made on their original iOS versions, which should go from 5 hours of heavy LTE, high brightness use to 8 hours of low brightness, full Wi-Fi use, and everything in between. If that’s not enough, people should consider buying something else, maybe the iPhone 11 if they want to stick with an iPhone.

A “tech reviewer” bashing the iPhone SE’s battery whilst comparing it to the 11 series with double the battery size... please...
ok...then what should they compare it to except other iPhones? Then please don't say some older iPhone 8 from 3 years ago..... smh.....

EDIT: For the price it seems like a great bargain. But the camera and battery life suffer when compared to other iphones. Those are just facts.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
ok...then what should they compare it to except other iPhones? Then please don't say some older iPhone 8 from 3 years ago..... smh.....

EDIT: For the price it seems like a great bargain. But the camera and battery life suffer when compared to other iphones. Those are just facts.
I don’t mean that they shouldn’t compare it with the 11 Pro Max. Do so, but when it trails behind, don’t bash it, because it’s obvious that it will be way behind.

You can compare it with the Android devices he mentioned, and I agree with that, they get way better battery life because they have bricks as batteries, but performance doesn’t compare, and some people might prefer that.

You should compare it with the iPhone 8 (when it was new and on iOS 11, NOT a three-year-old device on iOS 13, because you’d be comparing apples to oranges), because that’s a good metric. It’s an iPhone 8 by design, battery size, and more or less on camera specs.

I choose to say that it’s the same battery life as every 4.7-inch iPhone so far, and people shouldn’t be disappointed when it can’t get 10 hours of SOT; for that price, it’s what you get.

Reactions: GlenK

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I don’t mean that they shouldn’t compare it with the 11 Pro Max. Do so, but when it trails behind, don’t bash it, because it’s obvious that it will be way behind.

You can compare it with the Android devices he mentioned, and I agree with that, they get way better battery life because they have bricks as batteries, but performance doesn’t compare, and some people might prefer that.

You should compare it with the iPhone 8 (when it was new and on iOS 11, NOT a three-year-old device on iOS 13, because you’d be comparing apples to oranges), because that’s a good metric. It’s an iPhone 8 by design, battery size, and more or less on camera specs.

I choose to say that it’s the same battery life as every 4.7-inch iPhone so far, and people shouldn’t be disappointed when it can’t get 10 hours of SOT; for that price, it’s what you get.
Again...I think the SE is a great value for the price. But at that price there also is some compromises. Those compromises seems to be battery life and camera on the 2020 SE.

But I disagree with comparing a 2020 iPhone to a 2017 iPhone just to make the battery life tests more favorable.
That is not totally accurate IMHO.....

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Again...I think the SE is a great value for the price. But at that price there also is some compromises. Those compromises seems to be battery life and camera on the 2020 SE.

But I disagree with comparing a 2020 iPhone to a 2017 iPhone just to make the battery life tests more favorable.
I think I disagree with phrasing, really. Saying “the iPhone SE’s battery life cannot compete with the 11 and the 11 Pro series, trailing significantly behind.” is more accurate than “the iPhone SE’s battery life is a major letdown, BECAUSE it trails significantly behind the 11 and 11 Pro series”. That makes no sense at all.

Reactions: JSRinUK and GlenK

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I think I disagree with phrasing, really. Saying “the iPhone SE’s battery life cannot compete with the 11 and the 11 Pro series, trailing significantly behind.” is more accurate than “the iPhone SE’s battery life is a major letdown, BECAUSE it trails significantly behind the 11 and 11 Pro series”. That makes no sense at all.
sure...the article could be worded a little differently. But it would not change the facts.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Apple officially rates it the same

It's exact same size 1821 mah

A13 is more efficient but also more power is drawn from the SE 2020 than the 8 (newer wifi, gps, bands, extra gb ram, new ISP) so it probably balances out

Main reason 11 Pro/Max were such a huge upgrade over XS/Max wasn't A13 but rather the larger batteries and more power efficient display (display is the main source of battery drain)
[automerge]1588215825[/automerge]

I think it's fair to look at Apples reported values at face value. They say it's appx the same as the iPhone 8, and that's the official word.

I think day to day use will be similar over time. Everyone's SE 2020 is a brand new device whereas the 8's are older. When the 8 was new, it had pretty solid SoT. Despite it being rated the same as iPhone 7, I subjectively found better battery throughout the day on the 8

I am sure the A13 will give some improvements, but best to expect the same as the 8 as Apple advertises and claims, and be content with any additional gains

My understanding was that the A13 in the SE is under clocked compared to the 11 Series to lessen battery load taking into account other new hardware. Is this correct?

cbreze

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2014
Oregon
Put a new battery in an iPhone 8 then run the tests. I believe the iPhone 7 which I have is also very close to the 8 and SE. I always got thru a day with power to spare so not to concerned. I know A13 in the SE but it is said to be very efficient. A phone this size is never going to have a large battery. I know this going in so will not be disappointed. The small size is 80% of the reason I want it. I’m not worried about battery life in the least.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

Battery's due more to size and weight. You just can't cram a lot of battery on a small and very thin device.

I think it's fair to have comparisons with both the latest iPhone 11 series as well as iPhone 8 (or older). It's not so much as making the SE look good. Rather, a lot of folks buying this will be upgrading from older devices (likely also 4.7" or smaller). I think it's good to have data answering the question "How does battery life compare to my old iPhone 5s/SE/6/6s/7/8?".

Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Battery's due more to size and weight. You just can't cram a lot of battery on a small and very thin device.

I think it's fair to have comparisons with both the latest iPhone 11 series as well as iPhone 8 (or older). It's not so much as making the SE look good. Rather, a lot of folks buying this will be upgrading from older devices (likely also 4.7" or smaller). I think it's good to have data answering the question "How does battery life compare to my old iPhone 5s/SE/6/6s/7/8?".
I do see the logic in what you said. But when comparing to older phones one must keep in mind the 2020 SE also benefits from new more efficient technology in battery and the SOC. So really not fair to compare performance from 3 to 5 years ago tech to today. Todays tech has a lot more advancements and should perform better.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I do see the logic in what you said. But when comparing to older phones one must keep in mind the 2020 SE also benefits from new more efficient technology in battery and the SOC. So really not fair to compare performance from 3 to 5 years ago tech to today. Todays tech has a lot more advancements and should perform better.
I'm not really seeing any breakthroughs in battery life (short of putting in bigger batteries).

Besides, that's kinda exactly the point. How much better is this new device going to be compared to my old one and is it going to be worth spending $400 to me?

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I'm not really seeing any breakthroughs in battery life (short of putting in bigger batteries).

Besides, that's kinda exactly the point. How much better is this new device going to be compared to my old one and is it going to be worth spending $400 to me?
sure.....compare it to other iphones...but not from 3 to 5 years ago....doesn't really compare technology wise.
Comparing to phones that are no longer in production is a useless point and only is being made to make the 2020 SE look better in those comparisons.

I think for $400 is a great bargain!

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
It’s a bargain if it’s a phone you want or think you might want

It’s not if you don’t want it or have other bills on the line because of it

IMO

Reactions: jamezr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.