Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
sure.....compare it to other iphones...but not from 3 to 5 years ago....doesn't really compare technology wise.
Comparing to phones that are no longer in production is a useless point and only is being made to make the 2020 SE look better in those comparisons.

I think for $400 is a great bargain!
The problem with those new phones is they're all notably bigger and heavier than the SE (2020).

For some folks like me clinging to smaller devices, those phones just aren't under consideration and we're better served by comparisons with iPhone 8 or even the older SE.

Reactions: GlenK and FeliApple

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
The problem with those new phones is they're all notably bigger and heavier than the SE (2020).

For some folks like me clinging to smaller devices, those phones just aren't under consideration and we're better served by comparisons with iPhone 8 or even the older SE.
Size wise the only phone that compares is the iPhone 5 or the original SE.
Then what do you want to compare it to? I mean the new SE will outperform the iPhone 5 (2012) in just about every way.....
Seems kinda useless to me.

iphone5.JPG

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Size wise the only phone that compares is the iPhone 5 or the original SE.
Then what do you want to compare it to? I mean the new SE will outperform the iPhone 5 (2012) in just about every way.....
Seems kinda useless to me.

View attachment 910812
Huh? The SE (2020) is the same size as iPhone 6/6s/7/8.

I expect the question for a lot of us isn't "Which phone should I upgrade to?" but rather "Should I upgrade?"

For that, something like this article is more useful:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Huh? The SE (2020) is the same size as iPhone 6/6s/7/8.

I expect the question for a lot of us isn't "Which phone should I upgrade to?" but rather "Should I upgrade?"

For that, something like this article is more useful:
Here is another good comparison. This is better than comparing to phones from 6 years ago or are no longer being made.

cbreze

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2014
Oregon

I had a 7 and thought the size was just right, very comfortable to use. So needing a new phone and the same size (as 7) , upgraded SE comes out I finally see an option for me to replace my old phone. So while it seems the vast majority wants bigger screens it's nice to see a smaller option as well. And... at a sweet price.
When it arrives next week I'll know pretty quick how much, if any, smoother and faster it is than my iPhone 7.

Reactions: macrumors newbie

NickName99

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2018
I just switched to an SE2 from an XS and the battery life is noticeably better. I tended to just leave my XS on low power mode all the time to save battery, but I don’t feel the need to do that on my SE2.

badatusernames

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2018
Keep in mind it appears he has perfect WiFi signal and most likely wasn’t playing games or taking a bunch of pics. That’s absolute best case scenario right there
I figured but I’m also a very light user and because of the awful standby my phone drains a lot during the work day. I have good WiFi and good cellar signal too. Heck the router is literally a couple feet away from my desk

Edd70

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2018
Battery's due more to size and weight. You just can't cram a lot of battery on a small and very thin device.

I think it's fair to have comparisons with both the latest iPhone 11 series as well as iPhone 8 (or older). It's not so much as making the SE look good. Rather, a lot of folks buying this will be upgrading from older devices (likely also 4.7" or smaller). I think it's good to have data answering the question "How does battery life compare to my old iPhone 5s/SE/6/6s/7/8?".

The new SE blows away my 6 in every possible way, including battery life. And I had the battery replaced on my 6 halfway through its 5.5 years of use.

For the first two days I had the SE, I didn’t get in my car. When I did, I tried CarPlay and was shocked at the improvement in interface and speed. The old CarPlay version on my 6 absolutely sucked by comparison.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
The new SE blows away my 6 in every possible way, including battery life. And I had the battery replaced on my 6 halfway through its 5.5 years of use.

For the first two days I had the SE, I didn’t get in my car. When I did, I tried CarPlay and was shocked at the improvement in interface and speed. The old CarPlay version on my 6 absolutely sucked by comparison.
Did you update it? If you did, you are comparing Apples to Oranges, as iOS updates absolutely demolish battery life on non-current devices.

Edd70

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2018
Did you update it? If you did, you are comparing Apples to Oranges, as iOS updates absolutely demolish battery life on non-current devices.

Yes, I updated it. That’s generally recommended, right? Do you never update your iPhone for battery reasons?

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
Yes, I updated it. That’s generally recommended, right? Do you never update your iPhone for battery reasons?
They are being a little over the top. My 8+ is just as good on iOS 13 as it was on iOS 12 and 11. There may have been some truth to this 5 years ago. People are still paranoid about how Apple slowed phones down, and they think the updates make the phone run poorly with bad battery life in order to make you upgrade.

Reactions: akash.nu

JakubWrobel

Cancelled
Apr 22, 2020
So I did a little test over the last few days (nights, actually); I think another forum member has done this as well. One night, I turned on Low Power Mode for the night, leaving cellular and WiFi on to see what would happen. The next morning, the battery showed 10% less than what I left it at the night before. This is just about the same battery loss as if I didn’t turn on low power mode and left cellular and WiFi on. Two nights ago, I turned off the cellular network and went to sleep. The next morning, the battery sat 6% below what I left it at the night before. Last night, I turned off both, cellular and WiFi, and this morning my battery was down only 1%.

In my case, I have good signal in my bedroom (cellular and WiFi, both). It seems to me, cellular and WiFi are the major culprits of battery drain (it looks like it in my case, anyways). Not really fond of putting my phone on Airplae Mode every night, but this way I can extend to an additional day of usage without the need to charge my phone.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
So I did a little test over the last few days (nights, actually); I think another forum member has done this as well. One night, I turned on Low Power Mode for the night, leaving cellular and WiFi on to see what would happen. The next morning, the battery showed 10% less than what I left it at the night before. This is just about the same battery loss as if I didn’t turn on low power mode and left cellular and WiFi on. Two nights ago, I turned off the cellular network and went to sleep. The next morning, the battery sat 6% below what I left it at the night before. Last night, I turned off both, cellular and WiFi, and this morning my battery was down only 1%.

In my case, I have good signal in my bedroom (cellular and WiFi, both). It seems to me, cellular and WiFi are the major culprits of battery drain (it looks like it in my case, anyways). Not really fond of putting my phone on Airplae Mode every night, but this way I can extend to an additional day of usage without the need to charge my phone.
You need to be able to receive emergency calls etc. Not a good idea to put the phone on airplane mode at night, just so you can go 1.5 - 2 days between charging. Use the phone normally. Don’t get obsessed over minutia.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017

Turning your LTE and WiFi off in order to stop battery drain, but you can’t be reached all night when you’re in airplane mode... Charging overnight will not be that detrimental to your battery. What if you wake up some morning and realize someone had tried to call you at 1am with an emergency, but you missed it because your phone was in airplane mode?

JakubWrobel

Cancelled
Apr 22, 2020
You need to be able to receive emergency calls etc. Not a good idea to put the phone on airplane mode at night, just so you can go 1.5 - 2 days between charging. Use the phone normally. Don’t get obsessed over minutia.

Turning your LTE and WiFi off in order to stop battery drain, but you can’t be reached all night when you’re in airplane mode... Charging overnight will not be that detrimental to your battery. What if you wake up some morning and realize someone had tried to call you at 1am with an emergency, but you missed it because your phone was in airplane mode?

While I understand the “emergency” situation, I’m in a position where the most important people in my life (that would be my parents) live with me, so aside from them, no one would call me in the middle of the night.

I simply wanted to see what used the most battery on my phone.

korbs

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2020
I have only begun using my cellphone. I have a feeling I will be satisfied with the battery coming from Lumia 930 which I had to charge on a daily basis.

@jakub, pozdro.

Reactions: JakubWrobel

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
While I understand the “emergency” situation, I’m in a position where the most important people in my life (that would be my parents) live with me, so aside from them, no one would call me in the middle of the night.

I simply wanted to see what used the most battery on my phone.
Thats good that you live with your loved ones like your parents. I dont dare put my phone on airplane mode during the night when sleeping since about 2 years ago, when my mum called me at about 3am as my dad went into a unconscious hypoglycaemia state due to his diabetes. She panicked and didn't know what to do, so i called ambulance and rushed to parents home to help. Thankfully dad was revived and recovered.

Last edited:

JakubWrobel

Cancelled
Apr 22, 2020
Thats good that you live with your loved ones like your parents. I dont dare put my phone on airplane mode during the night when sleeping since about 2 years ago, when my mum called me at about 3am as my dad went into a unconscious hypoglycaemia state due to his diabetes. She panicked and didn't know what to do, so i called ambulance and rushed to parents home to help. Thankfully dad was revived and recovered.

Im glad to hear everything turned out alright. ??

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
so far, first week impressions on the new SE - not from my limited use but from the people who are more the target audience of this phone and who purchased these phone.

Causal iPhone users. The new SE’s are replacing an iPhone 7 and 6s

their thoughts:

overall the new phones are very snappy but the experience is more or less the same - not a marked speed improvement Reported in either case

surprisingly - the 3D Touch app switch being gone is more of a miss than any other feature. Hardly little convenient feature but nothing debilitating, in one case. Otherwise, the feature was not noticed to be missing.

battery life is Reported to be a small improvement over the 6s (100% battery health) and also a small improvement over the 7 (93% battery health). Standby time seems to be the same, after a week they’re getting the same battery life and charging it the same throughout the day.

speakers are noted to be better than the 6s and 7, though this is a minor thing

pictures look nicer but the users on these phones weren’t big picture takers to begin with. They can only tell with portrait mode but otherwise they aren’t really able to tell the difference Vs older devices.

they still plug in their phones despite the fast wireless charging feature and multiple wireless chargers scattered around the house.

no perceived differences in display

Again these are users who are not tech people, not on forums, care little for things like True Tone and in one case p3 gamut. One user is in their 60’s (has the 7), the other in their 20’s (has the 6s)

The conclusion for each, independently, has been to return the SE’s and Stick with their older phones as the trade in values vs retail of this phone was not deemed “worth it”

I will give one of the SE’s a go this week for my own thoughts, and return the other one tomorrow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.